Power Question

Robj

Lieutenant
Many posts here have dealt with "I want more power". One variable that has a significant impact on engine performance is air temperature. I know in the doghouse it gets quite warm, has anyone tried to run outside, cooler air to their intake? I have been doing some testing with diesels, and you lose about 1% of your power for each 5 deg C (10 deg F) increase in air temperature. The same principle applies for gas engines. I imagine you could probably get a few extra % by lowering intake air temp. What are your thoughts??

Have a great day,

Rob.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Power Question

The colder air gets, the more dense it is.
Load a box with dry ice, use it as an air intake, live a little.
How far will you go to increase hp?
Some one has a 3.0 engine, boat can't pull his 220 Lbs. up on a wake board. Rather than increase engine hp, lose some weight.
Compromise

Robj

Lieutenant

Dry ice releases CO2 will not help with combustion. Yes it is all about air density and getting more O2 into the engine. This is just a question about a well known fact. I am not saying you will get an amazing increase in power, but it will improve performance. Something to think about.

Have a great day,

Rob.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yeah CO2 would be somewhat of a show-stopper!

You're talking about a "Charge Air Cooler" So you could actually use a "box" with dry ice, but it would have to be like an Intercooler. It would have to have isolation between cooling medium (dry ice) and the intake air. Just like an air-to-air or water-to-air intercooler! Of course, you'd have to keep replenishing the dry ice and you would have to keep the "exhaust" CO2 away from the air intake, but it work great......just wouldn't be practical....

By the way charge air coolers are almost always used with turbo and super-charged engines to lower the air temp increase that is caused by pressurizing the air with the turbo/supercharger. They're usually not used on normally aspirated engines. If you plumb an intake tube so that you get your combustion air from the "outside" instead of the hot engine compartment, there is a increased risk of direct water ingestion .....that's a bit of a "show stopper" too.....usually permanent!

If you take a look at the actual Mercury installation specifications it talks about having enough airflow into the engine compartment to operate the engine. If memory serves it's on the order of a few hundred to several hundred CFM. If one was to put a temp gage into the engine compartment you might find, shortly after shut down, the temp might be high. If you start and run at high RPM, the air temp drops considerably after a very short time. The temp would again climb quickly after engine shut down. It's probably not as much of a problem as one might think. The cool fuel system etc is mainly to prevent vapor lock in a heat soaked engine & compartment. Having an exhaust blower running continuously can help too.

Around 180 degrees F comes to mind when figuring how hot is too hot in the engine compartment......

If you were to install and use an alternate or external "combustion air source" you would absolutely need to have exhaust blowers running continuously since that would be the only source of fresh ambient air thru the engine compartment.

The following link (this is ok now right?) outlines airflow requirements for most Merc installations. Scroll down to "ENGINE COMPARTMENT VENTILATION" on page 11

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Install/gas/86017200.pdf

Cheers,