Mercury 3.0 Engine issue

cburg

Recruit
I have a 2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport w/ the mercury 3.0 engine. i have had major engine issues with 2 blown head gaskets, 3 callaped valves and the carb has had to be changed as well; all of which have happened in 2 seasons of boating. i am a newer boater and i'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a "Lemon Law" for boats and if anyone else has had similar problems or other issues with this particular motor. any information would be appreciated.

Chad Burg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury 3.0 Engine issue

Call Mercury! (see your warranty book for phone numbers), they will (in 99.9% of the cases I have dealt with) replaced the engine. At least start there. Once you get your new engine think about this thread and the fairytale I told.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=50502

cburg

Recruit

the dealer is fixing my motor. they are sending the head off for a valve job and will be fixing the other issues. is the engine too small for this boat for boarding and skiing. i am afraid of more issues and lots of time in the shop. i have also noticed that Sea Ray is not putting this motor in any boats after 2007. is this something i can work to my advantage.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If your running that engine hard pulling a boarder or skier, then shutting it off really quick and it diesels, then there is where you lose it.
You have to let it idle for a couple of minutes and have the rpm low enough to prevent diesiling.
But yea, a 3.0L in an 18' boat loaded with people and pulling skiers and boarders is a lot of work for a little engine. There are limits to all boats.

i have also noticed that Sea Ray is not putting this motor in any boats after 2007. is this something i can work to my advantage.

I doubt it.