Zodiac S131 Transom Debonded from Tube

poguemahone

Recruit
Hi fella's

Anyone know what glue and technique to use to repair a transom cuff that has debonded from the tubes .:(

Thanks

Pog
Aus

rubberjoey

Recruit
Re: Zodiac S131 Transom Debonded from Tube

Hi,

Not sure if you have managed to sort your debond problem out yet? I can help with sorting it out and my advice is:-

The best way to start is to try and pull the tube away from the transom as much as possible, you need to be able to prepare the tubes and the rubber flaps attached to the transom and it it easier if they are separated.

1. You need to borrow or buy a 'dremmel' which is a small handheld grinding machine, if you know what they are already sorry. You need to use the smallest grinding stone, normally orange in colour and cone shaped, make sure the point of the stone is not too sharp. Use the dremmel to remove all the existing glue, be carefull not to damage the fabric, it should remove the glue easily, it is easy to see how the fabric looked like before this glue was used, as long as you just remove the glue. Just a tip, use masking tape to mask along the existing glue line, 2mm outside of the current line, do this anywhere you are grinding.

The masking tape can stay on until the last stage, but dont leave the boat outside, if it gets wet the masking tape will be difficult to remove.

2. You need to source the right glue, 'PVC 2 part' and also the similar brand of thinners or degreasant. You will have to ask locally or search online, I am in the UK so not sure what is sold near you. It will consist of a small tin of glue and a smaller bottle of hardener, make sure you read the instructions on mixture of the two parts, you do not need much hardener.

3. Once all the glue has been removed you need to degrease the areas, you need to use the thinners with a lint free cloth and apply this to all areas which need reglueing. When you apply the glue, make sure you are not in direct sun light. It is also best to apply the glue when the tubes are pumped up hard. The first coat of glue should be left to tack off, approximately 45 - 60 seconds, apply a second coat, again wait for 45-60 seconds.
Another tip, buy a good quality paint brush and cut down the bristles to make it slightly stubby. The glue should look syrupy if it goes stringy then you have taken too long, glue usually lasts 30 - 45 minutes once mixed. Also use a glass bowl, 'wide pyrex jug is best'.

4. As soon as the glue is touch dry, both surfaces need to be brought together. Ideally have a ratchet strap handy to put around the back of the boat, the strap will do all the work of keeping the pressure to both surfaces. Be carefull, when the glued surfaces meet they will instanly bond, try and touch the solid surfaces together first which will leave the carriers (black rubber inner and outer flaps) to bond. You need to work them together, its a bit awkward. Start in the middle and work up and down. If you make a mistake pull the surfaces apart quickly, they should rebond again, if not use the vapoured cloth and gently rub thinners in the area, this reactivates the glue but only for 20 seconds or so.

5. When you are happy that the surfaces have bonded correctly, you need to roll in the areas, usually I would use a brass heavy roller, you may be able to get a wooden or plastic one locally, this is the only tool other than the dremmel you need.

6. Remove the masking tape and use the thinners and cloth to remove any excess glue, do not use too much thinners when you clean the glue, otherwise it may leak into the glued areas and open them up again. There you have it, easier said than done i'm afraid, but hopefully it will be perfect. Do not use the boat for 24 hours.

Let me know how you get on. try www.rib.net for any further help.

Not sure if you can do me a favour, I have just bought an S131 but it does not have any floor boards. Would it be possible to measure each board acurately and send me the dimensions. I want to make my own, Zodiac want to charge me an arm and a leg for genuine ones. Some photos would be ideal.

Cheers,

Joe

lad

Recruit

I'm looking for the same thing Joe, I just bought an S.131 with no transom or floorboards. it was cheap :)

If someone could email me or post the dimensions of these things, it'd be great

axboats

Banned

all together, CYA.

Last edited by a moderator:

tadtaylor

Recruit

You guys still neet the dimension of the s131 floor boards and transom? I have two that I am working on right now, and have the transom out of one which could be measured. Let me know.