New to Chrysler, Have Questions

tex599

Seaman
I just acquired a 1976 45hp Chrysler outboard and have some questions. What type of lower unit lube do I need to use?
Where do you all recommend I by parts from?
Any other advice regarding this motor? I am not too familar with Chrysler outboards, I have been running Evinrudes. Do these hold up pretty well, this one seems to have been taking care of and starts and runs well.

Thanks,

Tex

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New to Chrysler, Have Questions

Tex, any good brand of L/U lube will work for you, just make sure it for marine use.

As for parts I buy from iBoats and maxrules or if in a hurry the local boat joints but most times they need to order them and ends up takeing more time.

As for holding up ,take care of it and you will not have any major problems.

I have had rudes until I got a force 125 and a Chrylser 90 HP I also have a 1977 Evinrude that has 125 psi on each jug, the 125 is at 130 and the 90 is at 140 on all jugs.

the 125 and 90 are 1986s and have been used on ski boats are still running like a new motor.

I take great care of these motors after seeing the cost of replaceing them now days.

You maintain them and they will get you back in to the ramp.

tex599

Seaman

Thanks, for the info. I have been running Evinrudes for a while, 1972 50hp Selctric Shift which is a great motor and several others in various states of repair. I just picked up this boat, 15ft Sea Strike, Sea Squirt Center Console with the Chrysler and was a little concerned becasue of the Chrysler engine and not being familiar with them. But it seems to run real well and have been taking care of. I was not sure if parts availabity was an issue or not with this motor.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have many places to get parts. The hard part is doing the clean up and maintance after a long day on the water :eek:

I have found that iboats forums are the best place for info and help on takeing care of and repairing any motor out there. There always seems to be someone on here that has had the problems and can walk you thru the repair process and a place to get most any parts you need.