What will a 40hp 1964 evinrude run?

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey im thinkin about buying a 1964 evinrude big twin and want to know what it will run. It is electric start so is it safe to assume it will charge a batt? Can I run a tach off it as well?

Thanks Fuzzey

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What will a 40hp 1964 evinrude run?

It would have the outboard generator on it I think, with the old style rectifier.

look at installing a tinytach, read lots of good reviews on them and ease of installation.

google a search for tiny tach to get to there site.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If that engine is electric shift, part's could be hard to find.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Verify it has a generator. Many did not. Open the hood and look, it's easy to spot. It looks like the starter. If it has a generator they're good to recharge the battery mostly. Don't count on it to do much more... Although it will still slow the discharge rate if you have other devices on it.

And I've also heard good things about tiny tach.

Of course we all probably heard it here on the forum!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Electric shift models had DC generators as standard equipment. The generator was an optional accessory on the regular shift models. It puts out 10 amps, which is more than the 6 amps of many newer motors with unregulated alternators. Only thing is, the DC generator doesn't start working till you get up to around 2000 RPM. Beyond that, amps is amps.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

besure to get wiring harness, and junction box.

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I was told Electramatics came with a generator and on non-electramatics generators were optional. Here's a picture of the 40hp w/electric shift and generator. The generator is ran off of the flywheel via belt. BTW, the voltage regulator is in the junction box so like Tashasdaddy said make sure to get wiring harness and junction box. And yes I believe you can run tach off of it, the wiring harness includes a tach wire.

Attachments

• 40hp2.jpg
    40hp2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

junction box should be similar to this. this one does not have regulator.
starterbox.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you mean how fast will it go, that depends on whether the engine is installed on a barge, pontoon, flat bottom, "V" hull or shell.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advise. I wasen't wondering about speed but now that you mention it... It's a V-Hull 14' fiberglass with full gear prob weighs around 1000-1400lb. What would you estimate speed as?

Thanks Fuzzey

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/15/index.cfm
theres a good reading link.... this will let you know some good stuff/ bad stuff... if there is any bad.... as far as the speed i got a 40 big twin evinrude '66 and a 14 foot flatbottom fiberglass and was told ill do about 30 to 35 mph... and as a general guide i heard that
1 horsepower will push 1 pound 30 mph or 2 lbs 15mph and so forth... that is if im remebering correctly but over wieght must be calculated including engine...