Fishing in the St Johns River

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I live in Jacksonville and am starting to fish in the St Johns river close to St Johns county, in south Jacksonville. I've been fishing inshore before (reds, grouper, flounder, etc) but not in the river where I live and put my boat in. I haven't found any place near there that sells live bait so what are my best options and what kinds of fish are there? If anyone know who sells live bait around there please let me know!
Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fishing in the St Johns River

bait is really hard to find in Jacksonville, several near the beaches. i believe there is one in Green Cove Springs, just across the Shands Bridge from you, go to US 17 and turn right. there was Steve's bait and tackle, but they are building a new building right now so no live bait. in your section of the river, there are going to be more fresh water fish, than salt, bass, bream, pan fish, at certain times of year you may find some trout. if you have a depth finder, fish the shelfs and drop offs. also weedbeds, for bass. fresh water fishing is much different than salt. if you like salt water fishing the intercoastal and mayport areas are good, and don't require a big boat. there is a public ramp at Beach Blvd, and the intercoastal.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tasha, I have been thinking of fishing in blackcreek off the St. Johns..but have been leary of putting my bass rig in there since by Brother in law told me it was brackish..is that true or untrue?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Black creek is an awesome place for all fresh water fish. there are parts over 80 feet deep. If you are going to fish anywhere on the river there is brackish water, as it is tidal. just hose down the boat, and flush the motor after use. i've been fishing it since the 50's. back then we never heard of flushing a motor, and never had any problems. from Downtown, Jax, to the Mayport is more brackish. you can launch at US 17 or go to Middleburg.