Stringer advice

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Well, the "destruction" of my Chris Craft continues today. As I posted before, I have the floor and fuel tank out. I knew I might have to do some stringer work, but as the story has been on this board many times, wood does not like water.

My rear stringers are still solid, but the front ones are done for. I have been digging and vaccuming out the mud that once was wood. When I think I can stop, I just keep finding more mud. At one time, someone drilled and filled with resin in a few spots, but the wood is gone at the bottom.

I was looking at Seacast before (a Supra I gave up on and parted out) and know I can use this to reform the stringers since the glass is still in excellent shape. I nearly fell over when I saw how much $ it is, and am looking at something a little less expensive.

My question is can I cut new stringers and use resin to "glue" them into the existing fiberglass? I could just recap the stringers like I would with Seacast. Would this be an acceptable method of repair? I know I can clamp some boards to both sides of the stringers until it is dry, but would this be structurally sound? I have read where I would have to cut the old glass out to replace the wood and relaminate new glass over them.

I have been on this board lurking for almost 4 years and really find it helpful. I think I will put this project on ShareAProject since I already have a few in the Auto section.

salty87

Commander
Re: Stringer advice

hello b52s

i'm working on a supra now. what model was the one you used to have? i looked at seacast for pouring new engine mounts, yikes!

obviously you can do whatever you want, have the room for, have the budget for, etc...in my opinion, if you've gone so far as to get the old mush out you might as well cut the glass skins off and just re-wrap the stringers to your satisfaction. my stringers weren't sealed worth a crap in some areas. i'm getting rid of as much of the factory work as i can. good materials (maybe?) and a shoddy layup equals garbage. building on top of that shoddy layup (at least in the case of my hull) would be a waste of time, money, and work...lots of it.

i don't think you'd be satisfied with the results of your plan. at least not long term. i guess it depends on the results you're looking for.

maybe epoxy would work, i've only used it on small projects.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I had an old 84 Rider with a 454. The way it was put together was garbage. They did use kelvar for the stringers, but it was not consistant. I took the cap off, but lost interest and time. Besides, I didn't want to drag it to Florida from Louisiana. It would have cost big bucks to get it done right. With that engine, I wanted a strong hull.

This boat I have now is a real step down with the 140 Mercruiser. All I am looking for is something I can take out with the family for some weekend tubing and such. I plan to get rid of it within a few years and buy a newer Momba so this is just a pleasure boat. I got it cheap so I could not pass it up, and I really don't want to put too much time into it. Too bad I cannot leave good enough alone and had to tear into it.

salty87

Commander

i'm replacing the deck and stringers in an 87 saltare, getting 454 rebuilt too. i've never ridden in a rider but they look pretty nice. from seeing the results of a 1987 hull, i'd hate to see an '84. new moomba's are pretty sweet.

Coors

Captain

If the f/g sides of the stringers are still good (they are the main strength); dig out the rot,, clean good, install wood covered with matt/roven, bed it in, and repour with epoxy.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

That is the way I am looking at going. I am assuming that epoxy will bond to the existing fiberglass (as long as it is clean), correct? Should I use epoxy when wrapping the new stringers or use the regular stuff?​

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Salty, were you on the Supra board a few years ago? I think I remember you and your Saltaire.​

salty87

Commander

yep, i used to post there...it's been real quiet lately

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hello b52s

obviously you can do whatever you want, have the room for, have the budget for, etc...in my opinion, if you've gone so far as to get the old mush out you might as well cut the glass skins off and just re-wrap the stringers to your satisfaction. my stringers weren't sealed worth a crap in some areas. i'm getting rid of as much of the factory work as i can. good materials (maybe?) and a shoddy layup equals garbage. building on top of that shoddy layup (at least in the case of my hull) would be a waste of time, money, and work...lots of it.

this is a quote from b52...........

"That is the way I am looking at going. I am assuming that epoxy will bond to the existing fiberglass (as long as it is clean), correct? Should I use epoxy when wrapping the new stringers or use the regular stuff?"
............end quote

.........b52.........i know the style of the repair your talking about has been done before....sucessfully........
and this is just a short term pleasure craft.....till that big moomba comes home:D

but when you cut the old glass out you have room to work....to "get in there".
plus......it will be very difficult cleaning the existing glass to accecpt a bond...

.....i have not done that type of string replacement before but ..."i would think"......time wise ......your farther ahead just cutting the junk out and doing it right........as don's sig says.......

but this your boat.....its just a temp......flip a coin...!

cheers
oops

Coors

Captain

B52s; Oops is correct.
Do your repairs per his suggestions, as nothing else will work.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Ah, decisions. I was looking at this method to avoid raising the top in the bow. The front stringers go under there, and I was able to get all the wood out of them. I was looking at sliding the stringers up there, avoiding the removal of the top. This is why I was wondering if this would be a sound idea.​

Coors

Captain

I was being facetious.
Get a dremel and cleaner in there, and it will be good.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if the other ones were rotted i dont know how your gonna get a template.

thoes strings have hull shape...and i also dont know how your gonna be abot to secure them to the existing glass.?

you dont really need that much room......can you get under there......

but lifting the cap is not that much work...a few hours drilling and re screwing.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

The glass is pretty thick, I would say as thick as heavy cardboard.

As for a template, I can get to the sides of the stringers pretty good, and was going to make up a cardboard template based on that. After cutting, I would test fit and trim as required. Seacast would be the easy way to do it, but it is expensive. I don't want to put more in this boat than it is worth.
There is no curve in these stringers. They are totally flat on the bottom except at the front where they angle up.

Coors, I knew you were being facetious. :D After serving in the military for 22 years, I pick that up fast, trust me.

As for lifting the cap, I have done it before. I vowed never again. Then again, I told myself I would never buy a boat with wood in it either, but look where I am at now.......​

Coors

Captain

What I did on my Four Winns was cut of the top of the stringers and dig it out.
F/W just used a 1x to shoot the foam to, then encased it with 1/4" fg, sounds like yours is the same-the strength is in the f/g.
I epoxied up a 1x with mat.roven and stuck it in there, then re-filled the stringer with epoxy, stuffing in roven between the stringer and f/g shell.
It's stronger than factory.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Coors, I knew you were being facetious. :D After serving in the military for 22 years, I pick that up fast, trust me.

As for lifting the cap, I have done it before. I vowed never again. Then again, I told myself I would never buy a boat with wood in it either, but look where I am at now.......​

kinda like hitting our thumbs with hammers.....

as i said before ive never done that type of repair....but i have heard that it has been done sucessfully

depending on the room you have to work with ....bedding the stringers might be a job for a contorsionist or a young'n.....the strings will also be a wee but deeper than the outside of the glass skin.......

good luck...and happy boating
cheers
oops

Last edited:

lundnisswa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fix Buff's; Lets get some updates and pix of the progress on the current stringer/floor replacement. You gotta be further than me! Snowing now and for the next many days, so I am hold for grinding- No way is that dust going in the Shop! LOL
Lund

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey lund.....eriks post is up.....

i been away on business for a few weeks....just got back...im on mine every day till tuesday....im hoping to get the strings in....

john is hard at his and drew mitch is makin great progress.....i think thiw weekend will be busy on the photobucket site !

cheers
oops