Restoring Pattern on Gelcoat Deck

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone

My next project will be my thirty one year old Kittiwake 23 (sailboat). I may have to replace a small section of deck that has a texture (pattern) molded in to the gelcoat. Can this be duplicated and of so, how?

Thanks,

Grits

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring Pattern on Gelcoat Deck

do you have picks...????

this is an idea ive been toying with.......

i have a few ideas.......

however...the pattern is not in the gellcoat...it is in the glass.....

(if im following you correctly)......gellcoat is a really thick paint...(not really...but thats the quick explanation)

i would love to see it......mabe we can come up with a creative solution.

cheers
oops

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will get some pics of my sailboat or something similar. The pattern would have to be in the mold so I would assume it would go all the way into the glass. The gelcoat was just what was first. I would guess the pattern would be less pronounced as you go deeper into the deck.

Thanks,

Grits

erikgreen

Captain

The pattern is probably limited to just the gelcoat, and maybe just a bit below... unless it's a very coarse pattern, the glass itself won't follow it.

I haven't tried it myself, but the way to do it is to take a mold from an existing "good" patch of deck using release wax and polyvinyl alcohol. Basically you reverse the process of molding a hull section by layering glass and resin over the good anti-skid pattern.

Then you use your new mold along with some appropriately tinted gelcoat replacement (which might be polyester resin or epoxy, or whatever) and mold new surface where the pattern is missing to match the anti-skid in the "good" section.

It's not easy from what I've read... many professional boat shops charge a lot to do it.

Is there any chance you'd accept using a new pattern instead? Something like paint with anti-skid additives would serve the same purpose, and you could paint multiple areas to match up.

Erik

jonesg

Admiral

I've done a fair amount of glass mold making, theres a special resin for the surface of the mold, the stuff I used is orange colored and is best sprayed on, but I've brushed it. Its poly.

Like you said, wax the plug part first, real heavy and polish 4 times, leave the final wax unpolished, spray a coat of polyvinyl and let dry. Spray the orange mold surface on (it stays tacky) and lay a light cloth (3/4 oz) if you want details to show in the mold. Then a couple layers of 2 oz weave with clear mold making resin, the molding resin doesn't go completely hard so it doesn't require sanding, then matting. I like 3 layers of matting for a decent temporary mold. Finish with a layer of finishing resin which will go hard and harden all layers beneath it.

Pop it off and start polishing, waxing 4 times before use., maguires machine polish can be used if you want very fine details.

I spraypaint the inside of the mold first , then layup glass on the paint before paint goes completely hard, it works real neat and comes out pre-painted.

Certain shaped molds need wooden reinforcements to prevent buckling.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can buy most types of non skid patterns, they come in flexible sheets, it's what's used to make the non skid on most molds. It can be used to repair or make new non skid, you just sand the surface well and spread some gel coat on the surface, then place the sheet down and press it in place. When the gel coat gets hard you just pull the pattern off and your done.

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys

You have me on the right track. Do you know where you can get the mats with the patterns?

Grits

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Gibco Flex-mold is one product, check epoxyworks for a demo.