Chief Petty Officer
Re: Far from a Chevy inline 6

Looks like a big block to me.

The heads and oil pan seem to give it away

Yup me thinks that is the 8.1L

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Oil pan does look "deeper" than the old style small block, but the valve covers definitely look like small block to me, BB is way bigger. Don do these hold more than the typical 5 qts?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Got me Lou, they aren't out yet.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Its a BB.

I looked at what JY said, You can deffinetly tell.

Don S

Its a BB.

I looked at what JY said, You can deffinetly tell.

Are you guys completely blind? It a 5.7GiC300, like I said in reply #7, Volvo even calls it that. Trust me, a 5.7 anything is not a big block. The engine isn't even out there yet except in Calf. a little bit. But anyone can see it's NOT a big block, just look at the head, valve cover, spark plug location and how things are layed out. The oil pan also resembles the 2001 and newer 4.3 engines. But with 4 spark plugs showing on one side, I find it hard to believe it's a V6

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Don.. Then why is there 4 individual exhaust tubes on the exhaust manifold representing a BB vs 3 and 5 being together on a sb?

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Are you guys completely blind? It a 5.7GiC300, like I said in reply #7, Volvo even calls it that. Trust me, a 5.7 anything is not a big block. The engine isn't even out there yet except in Calf. a little bit. But anyone can see it's NOT a big block, just look at the head, valve cover, spark plug location and how things are layed out. The oil pan also resembles the 2001 and newer 4.3 engines. But with 4 spark plugs showing on one side, I find it hard to believe it's a V6

Don. Maybe you should relook at the picture as that picture is listed on the VP website under a 8.1L I just looked. VP's SB still use the older oil pan design.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

5.7l 8.1l

Attachments

• 5.7.jpg
    5.7.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.1.jpg
    8.1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Don. Maybe you should relook at the picture as that picture is listed on the VP website under a 8.1L I just looked. VP's SB still use the older oil pan design.
The picture I posted is NOT listed on the Volvo site. Post a picture of a 5.7GiC300, your picture is not of a 5.7 with the catalitic manifolds and other changes. Just the latest J model.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I understand that, but the head gives it away. There is not that much room after a manifold left on the head on a sb. Having converters doesnt make the oil pan change eather. I believe thats what volvo said it was but I bet it was a misprint.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My vote is that is a picture of the 8.1L.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Better look at reply #7

All I am saying is unless volvo is using the newer smallblock from GM (LS1) and from the liter designation ie. 5.0 and 5.7 they are not. We are not looking at a small block chevy 5.7. I don't think GM is selling the marine small block with splayed valve heads. I have never seen a GM base marine small block with evenly spaced exhaust ports.

MikDee

Banned

IMO it's a small block, the valve covers look too narrow to be a big block, there's no room for a splayed valve head, and the spark plugs don't look angled, it looks to me like the front 2 are straight boot plug wires, and the back 2 look like angle plug wires.

I'd sooner believe it's a V6 with the last "plug wire" actually being a sensor wire, because the exhaust manifold doesn't extend back far enough for an extra cylinder?

Last edited:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno, the coil on valve cover and cover shape look like the older 8.1, the quick connect oil cooler lines on the pan rail look like the older 8.1 but as its brndnew and I havent seen it it could also be Volvo posted the wrong picture with the wrong spec :)
I have even seen that in service manuals.
but as its brandnew and not released I have no idea whats coming, the engineering dept rarely lets us poor techs know much about whats coming and if you ask the standard reply is "why you need to know?".

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I'd sooner believe it's a V6 with the last "plug wire" actually being a sensor wire, because the exhaust manifold doesn't extend back far enough for an extra cylinder?

Yea, thats what I mentioned in the other post. SBC's have the ex port right at the end with there being 2 bolt holes for mounting manifolds or headers or what not. Good eye. Head looks tall too and from the pic of the 8.1L I posted everything looks almost identical except the cat converter part. Oil pand and all.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Maybe it's a big block 5.7......

They haven't been around in the auto world for years, but GM made 2 different 350's... 1 for chevy, and 1 for BOP (buick, olds, pontiac). The BOP block was a big block.

Anyone here besides me remember the Olds 350 rocket motors? :)

MikDee

Banned

Maybe it's a big block 5.7......

They haven't been around in the auto world for years, but GM made 2 different 350's... 1 for chevy, and 1 for BOP (buick, olds, pontiac). The BOP block was a big block.

Anyone here besides me remember the Olds 350 rocket motors? :)

As I recall, The Buick, Pontiac, & Oldsmobile, were each different 350 cu in blocks, & heads, I think the Buick, & Olds, had non-adjustable rocker arms on a shaft, like the early Mopars. The Buick always had the longest stroke, compared to bore size, (the most "oversquare") the Pontiac was closest to Chevy with it's individual rocker arms, & a slightly longer stroke, The Oldsmobile had the shortest stroke, & biggest bore of the sister 350's. I think this design followed thru on their big blocks also. Some of these GM engines used the same block, for small, & large displacement engines. Cadillac was even a different animal completely, I had a 71' Caddy Coupe De Ville with a stock 472cube engine, the 71' Eldorado made the Guiness book of world records by having the biggest stock production engine at the time, 500 cu in!

Don S

It might be a 8.1, but for this thread it doesn't really matter what engine it is, the point is, the manifolds with catalitic converters, oxygen sensors, and what they had to do comply with CARB.
One odd thing though, in their list of Cat motors, the 4.3 wasn't in it?????