Gas

Re: Gas

The oil refinery fire was a perfect reason for them to use along with "speculation" on supply factors due to middle east unrest which is another reason they can use at any time and also with the promise of new polictical issues the big oil companys figure they need to grab another few hundred billion in extra profit before the election....Afterall NO ONE will stop them now. Oh yea another reason was one of the delivery trucks taking gas to a service station in Dosquat Alabama had a flat tire and was 20 mimutes late making the delivery. This caused a nation wide panic and drove the prices up even more.......

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that OPEC was going to reduce production. I still think it is a ploy by the middle east to wreck our economy even more. Trucks drive this country and everything we get or use has been on a truck.

magster65

Commander

Our gov't announced in their latest budget they're adding another tax to our gas prices. This was after the article in the paper saying we'd see prices rise to $7.00 a gallon this summer. It's at $5.20 now.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

And I'm screaming because it just reached $3.50 here for regular. I thought you Canadians had all the oil sands in the world. How come your paying so much? I do have a son that works for Chevron and he walks around all day with a big smile on his face.

angus63

Captain

And I'm screaming because it just reached $3.50 here for regular. I thought you Canadians had all the oil sands in the world. How come your paying so much? I do have a son that works for Chevron and he walks around all day with a big smile on his face.

Extracting oil from the Canadian oil sands is not cost effective until prices exceed $120/barrel because of the processing costs, according to an article I read appx 1 yr ago. Plans are being made to ramp up this type of production within the next 2 yrs it also stated.​

Bigprairie1

Commander

The oil sands do hold a huge amount of oil, the trick is (as Angus said) extracting it economically. That said, oil exploration and development in Alberta and Saskatchewan is sky rocketing. It will be many years before any of that benefit actually shows up at the pump tho'.
That said, the profits for these big oil companies are completely obscene right now, absolute record profits...so there is no return of benefit to the customer at this point....they are keeping all of the $$benefit.
Hopefully offshore exploration is going to ratchet up too. I'd love to us (Canada) put ourselves completely on the map as the next oil rich producing country. We have a seriously rich, large piece of somewhat undeveloped real estate and mineral wealth coming out our back passage...so why not develop it? (first...we need to guarantees the 'greeners' some good jobs I guess).;);)
BP:)

ps: even fresh water....Quebec currently holds 1/3 of the worlds fresh water supply, and that isn't even taking into account the rest of Canada.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Speaking of gas I got pretty mad yesterday.....

I stopped at the local Stewarts shop to get some gas for my plow truck. The price was $3.18/gallon and yes I kow it has gone up all over town but the extra nickle or so really does not kill me. I just go to this station because it was the closest to home.

I pumped in just $20 until I saw a new sticker on the pump (about 2" x 3" and not anyplace important)..... THIS FUEL CONTAINS 10% ETHANOL What the heck is going on??? I was under the impression (obvious false) that ethanol would reduce the gas price and I am aware it reduces efficiency.

Essentially I bought $18 of gas and $2 of ethanol.

hazwild

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our gov't announced in their latest budget they're adding another tax to our gas prices. This was after the article in the paper saying we'd see prices rise to $7.00 a gallon this summer. It's at $5.20 now.

We just hit $3.19 today i can't even fathom paying over5 a gallon much less 7.I think i stay where its warm and has cheap gas compared to you:rolleyes:

mscher

Lieutenant

Speaking of gas I got pretty mad yesterday.....

I stopped at the local Stewarts shop to get some gas for my plow truck. The price was $3.18/gallon and yes I kow it has gone up all over town but the extra nickle or so really does not kill me. I just go to this station because it was the closest to home.

I pumped in just $20 until I saw a new sticker on the pump (about 2" x 3" and not anyplace important)..... THIS FUEL CONTAINS 10% ETHANOL What the heck is going on??? I was under the impression (obvious false) that ethanol would reduce the gas price and I am aware it reduces efficiency.

Essentially I bought $18 of gas and $2 of ethanol.

Nearly all gas contains 10% ethanol. Most state do not require labeling the pump, so the retailers do not label them.

The only one's who benefit from ethanol are crop farmers and ethanol producers. Maybe everyone will realize this when bread hits $6/loaf :(

Last edited:

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

It's $3.099 here... essentially it's due to investors. Because the dollar is weak, investors are putting their money into oil, which drives up the price per barrel, even though they have more oil reserves now ( the gas companies ) than they did before Katrina... also the countries' oil reserves are larger than they ever have been throughout history. With any luck, the next president will release a ton of it to make the price drop like a rock and cost those investors billions... :D

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

The only one's who benefit from ethanol are crop farmers and ethanol producers. Maybe everyone will realize this when bread hits $6/loaf :(

I can live with $6/loaf bread to keep our money circulating inside the country instead of going to indirectly fund overseas terrorists. Our farmers can use that money more than they can or deserve to anyway.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I can live with $6/loaf bread to keep our money circulating inside the country instead of going to indirectly fund overseas terrorists. Our farmers can use that money more than they can or deserve to anyway.

Thank you

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It is 3.37 here, up from 2.95 like a week ago....
I ain't gonna start another BIG OIL thread, but come on .42 in a week?.....:mad:

JRJ

Commander

Big Law and even bigger Politics caused it. Bill said so and no one denied it.

Question is just how high has it got to go before our country goes into a depression because of it.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Another can of worms here..........

The farmer will only get about 30 cents from that 6 dollar loaf of bread.

mscher

Lieutenant

That sound's great until we start adding in $3/doz eggs, $4lb hamburger, $5gal milk and virtually everything else in the grocery store or resturant.

Why do our farmers deserve acess profits from the ethanol scam? Sure they work very hard an take large financial risks, but so do a lot of other businesses, that don't get the government subsidies, that farming and ethanol concerns get.

Most farmers have enjoyed good harvests and good prices for several years now, so it's not like we need another "Farm Aid" concert to help them get by.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

We need to say that we will drill Anwar & offshore both sides, even if it is a bluff.....
I'd wager OPEC would up production to stymie that & the price would fall.....;)