What can I tow with this?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fuel cost has been eating my lunch driving my ML430, even at 19-20mpg on premium. I am staying home too much because all I can think of is $50-$60 for a tank of gas

So I bought a '96 Mercedes E300D today. One owner, 100K miles, loaded to the gills with goodies that still work, etc. etc. Three liter, 6 cylinder diesel, automatic. 35mpg. Perfect CarFax report. Paid a tad over NADA for it, but it is a creampuff. It wasn't easy. I scanned eBay, Auto Trader and craigslist all over the country for 2 weeks. It showed up at 9:30 this AM and I bought it by 11:00. Three other offers were in while I was buying it.

Anyone know right offhand if this limo has a tow rating? Think I could tow my Boston Whaler Striper 15 (maybe 1500# ready to launch)?

Skinnywater: Got any scoop for me on tow packages and rating?

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What can I tow with this?

Anyone know right offhand if this limo has a tow rating? Think I could tow my Boston Whaler Striper 15 (maybe 1500# ready to launch)?

Skinnywater: Got any scoop for me on tow packages and rating?

My father had 220D mercedes years ago when I was growing up. Non-turbo, literally rated around 60-70hp. He'd tow 1k lb trailers with it, not fast mind you - but it would tow. I'd be concerned with proper setup of the tow hitch, but I wouldn't think that 1500 lbs would be a problem for that vehicle.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For the sake of argument,

Permiun gas and diesel = $3.50/gal approx.
Park the 430
Drive the 300D
100,000/year

Savings = $750/yr

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure what your point is Dave11.

As I see it, the cost of maintenance and insurance will eat up half of the fuel savings. And you still have to factor in the purchase price of the vehicle.

But a nice ride it is, and will likely handle your rig with ease.
I guess the only answer that counts is the one from the dealer.

Enjoy.

tashasdaddy

bet you can find out at mercedes benz club of america, google it.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

bet you can find out at mercedes benz club of america, google it.

Maybe, but you certainly can find out at mercedesshop.com in the Diesel Discussion forum. I've been a member there for almost 6 years (I have two W123s). There are lots of good guys in the diesel forum...

Why not just get one of the new MLs. You know they're offering the M-class, G-class, A-class and R-class (and still the E-class) in CDI now, right? Take a look at the ML320 CDI...

JB

I don't have the resources to even consider a new ML, GL, etc. CDI, bjcsc. You are talking $50K+ for one of those. The '96 E300D is within range at $11-12K, cash, and I can replace most of that when I sell the ML430.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I don't have the resources to even consider a new ML, GL, etc. CDI, bjcsc.

Neither do I (hence the 123s ;)) but we can dream about it, can't we:D

Check out mercedesshop. It's a great resource for us star enthusiasts...

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is a car a must? Even a small pickup will have a better towing rating that a car.

tashasdaddy

lrdchaos, he has already bought it.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nevermind.....I need to learn to read.....:rolleyes:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

A good "plodder" so I am led to believe. Will tow O.K. but it aint no Ferrari !!!

James P

Seaman Apprentice

JB,
First of all I'd like to thank you for being a moderator and one of the ones with all the good answers. I'm no boat mechanic or car mechanic but I do think that we can use what we know about boat motors and apply sometimes to cars or trucks. I'm always hearing about not lugging a boat motor in forums and I think the same applies to a vehicle towing but more importantly pulling it out of the water. If I were you and the car struggled pulling it out then I wouldn't tow it. If it struggled because of an extremely steep ramp you might try a less steep ramp and see how it does.....JP

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Roscoe

My point was that the maximum savings would be $750 a year. JB already has a very nice vehicle that gets pretty decent mileage ( 20 MPG or about 17 cents/mile) for a tow vehicle. When you factor in the cost of the old Benz along with all the other associated costs for a second vehicle, it will take years to even get to the break even point without selling the 430.

JB

Unfortunately, Dave, It will not be a 2 car situation. I am going to sell Ole Blue. :(

Rusty Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do not know how much you can tow with it but i know one thing; run that pig on Veggie Oil.

google it. We are having great success with it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

How far, how often?

JB

Maybe 25-30 miles once a month in the summer, QC.

I am thinking of selling the Boston Whaler and getting a small tinny and a JohnnyRude 4. That would weigh well under 1,000#.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your car will tow your boat without problem ( they do all over Europe....) with the proper hitch and braked trailer. The E300D is rated at + 3000Lbs there

Here is a 300Td wagon with a 19 footer driven thousands of miles without incident

boat-car.jpg

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB

Don't pay any attention to how it is done somewhere else. Find out what your specific vehicle is rated to tow. Do not tow any amount above that weight. Otherwise you will have unlimited liability. Your insurance will only pay if you are within legal weight limits.