1989 Glastron Steering

THEBIGKAHUNA

Cadet
I Have A 1989 Glastron That I Have Had About A Year. The Steering Is Really Stiff And I Havent Been Able To Find Any Grease Zerts On The Cables To Grease. The Guy I Bought It From Had It Four Years And He Said It Was The Same Way When He Had It. Is This Normal?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Glastron Steering

disconnect at motor, if cable is still stiff, replace, it's 20 y/o. sharp bends also make them stiff.

ccyoder

Cadet

I also have an '89 Glastron -- a Sieraa 195 SS. Great boat. Lots of fun. The steering on mine is normal. I know that doesn't help with your problem, but not too many people on hear own 19yo Glastrons. Good luck figuring it out.

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found this when looking for help on my 89 Glasstream. Had trouble with mine after setting up for the winter. Always came back smooth after some manhandling. But not this year, was looking under steering wheal for somewhere to get some grease myself. Anyone out there ever take this apart? Looks like its got a white plastic housing that the cable runs into.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Most hard steering comes from negligence and lack of maintenance. The cable must be removed form the tilt tube and the tube cleaned out (rust) and relubricated. Ignore it long enough and it will get so tight you can't even get it apart with anything less than a 5 pound hammer.

Yes, I know, on many boats you can't remove the cable from the tube without unbolting and lifting the motor off the transom. So be it. Still has to be done or suffer the consequences.

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry but what is the tilt tube? I took the cable foom the motor and 99% sure that its binding about 6 inches from center of steering wheel. Was not to sure if i should start tearing apart the under side of steering wheel. Like i said the cable looks as if its maybe all one piece when it gets to the white plastic housing.