stupid first timer question

pulleyman123

Seaman Apprentice
Is it o.k. to test the motor of and I/O with the outdrive in the raised position? It is in my driveway, and I can't lower the engine all the way.
thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stupid first timer question

lower as far as you can, install muffs so you don't burn up impeller.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Take a peak at your manual. You can run tilted up to 1200 RPM, but you shouldn't if you don't absolutely have to as it is hard on your u-joints. I tilt mine down until I bump the concrete and then give it one bump up. Some will say that I am nuts for letting it hit, but consider that here is 100 to 800+ hp on these devices, they can handle their own weight slightly hitting the pavement . . . ;) Make sure you pay attention to the muffs comment ^^^^^

cbavier

Lieutenant

Pull Your Boat trailer up on Cement blocks. Leave it hooked to the tow vehicle and Block the trailer wheels. That will get it higher off the ground and you can put the outdrive down a lot lower. Maybe all the way............ORrrrrrrrrr... you could always dig a Hole. Ha! Ha! With a shovel of course!

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like some great ideas guys. I would definitly try to get it at least most of the way down. I'd throw some jack stands underneath the rear axle or the frame of the trailer and leave it attached to the tow vehicle. I'd also parking brake the tow vehicle and chock the tow vehicles tires. Don't stack a bunch of blocks under your trailer as that's an accident waiting to happen. Buy a jack with some jack stands in a set at Wal Mart or an auto supply house for $50 and you'll find lots of uses for it.

And, what the other guys said about ear muffs is a good idea too! :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Holy carp, buy a shop, and a test lake. Might be easier :rolleyes:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

drop the trailer tongue to the ground, drop lower unit as QC said.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Sounds like some great ideas guys. I would definitly try to get it at least most of the way down. I'd throw some jack stands underneath the rear axle or the frame of the trailer and leave it attached to the tow vehicle. I'd also parking brake the tow vehicle and chock the tow vehicles tires. Don't stack a bunch of blocks under your trailer as that's an accident waiting to happen. Buy a jack with some jack stands in a set at Wal Mart or an auto supply house for $50 and you'll find lots of uses for it.

And, what the other guys said about ear muffs is a good idea too! :)

Muffs are absolutely necessary if your going to run the engine on dry land. Shane not to Argue. One Cement block x 4 @ 1.25 each is cheaper than $50 jack stands. This is only a temporary use and with all safety factors used. One block is 8 inches high. This will certainly give you all the clearance you need to the ground. The key any time you jack a three point trailer is KEEP IT HOOKED TO THE TOW VEHICLE.

tashasdaddy I don't think I could lower my Trailer tongue low enough with it hooked to my truck even with my 8inch dropped hitch, and with the probably 5 to 600 Lbs tongue weight it's hard to maneuver.

Bondo

Staff member

One Cement block x 4 @ 1.25 each is cheaper than $50 jack stands.

Ayuh,......

Much ado about Nothing,.....

Block the Wheels,+ lower the jack as far as it'll go,.....
Then lower the drive til it's about to contact the ground.....

No Reason to leave it hooked to the tow unit.......

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with bondo just put the tongue right on the ground if you have to then use a bottle jack or a hi lift to get it back up to where you can use the trailer jack. block the tires well front and back and you should be fine. Also what type of outdrive is it? probably be fine but, my father used to have a older boat with twin volvo penta 170 outdrives and they under no circumstances could be run in trim at all. The gears werent beveled enough and the manual said it would eat them instantly. just make sure and use the muffs as suggested.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Is it o.k. to test the motor of and I/O with the outdrive in the raised position? It is in my driveway, and I can't lower the engine all the way.
thanks

You guys or me are missing the point here it is an I/O (see quote above). You are not going to put the tongue on the ground period. The tongue weight is probably 4-500 Lbs. It's going to have a wheel under the tongue jack. You can only lower it to about 7 0r 8 inches from the ground. That is not going to give him enough clearance to put the Outdrive all the way down.

DON'T JACK THE BOAT UP UNLESS IT IS ATTACHED TO THE TOW VEHICLE. it will roll on you and someone is going to get hurt or the boat may roll hitting something damaging both the Boat and the struck object. I always keep a couple 2x6's handy because if it starts to roll there's no stopping it except to throw something in front of the wheels . Think guys, jacking one corner of three points with nothing anchored is asking for an accident or disaster. The boat may/will twist and turn even with the opposite side wheels blocked and the tongue. I've seen this happen twice before and it's lucky nobody got hurt either time. Only minor scrapes to the boat after one bounced off a garage and the other off the tow vehicle which both the boat and the tow vehicle were damaged. I have no more comments to make on this subject so if you choose to do it with jacks and jack stands with the Trailer tongue unattached
to a tow vehicle. WELL......I hope nothing happens, cause I would hate to have to tell you I warned you. That I told you so. .

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate to be Mr. Safety, but I always tend to lean that way. After reading through my advice, I thing QC hit the nail on the head. Just go ahead any buy a shop and a test lake. That will take care of all your problems, and hopefully we can all borrow it from time to time. Hehehehe! :D

OK, here's the deal, and I think all will agree. Do it as safe as you can. You're the only one there seeing your setup. If you feel uncomfortable or cringe before you do something, it's usually a good sign to stop or pick a different, safer way. Use muffs, and get the outdrive as low as you can get it. Exactly what tashasdaddy said in the first reply. Other than that - Good Luck!

And again, sorry everyone for going overboard. I forget everyone doesn't have a ton of tools, money and perfect setups like some of us. :)

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have a half closed fresh water system be sure you put a muff on the thru hull water intake or you will fry the impeller on the water pump. Bet ya can't guess how I found that one out.

Neverhome

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can put the tongue on the ground you just have to use a seperate jack once the trailer jack bottoms out. Crank trailer jack down all the way, use bottle or high lift further back on trailer let down all the way to ground. With tires blocked front and rear its not going to go anywhere. I dont think it's a 30 footer with twins or his drive is a 30 deg. angle. Use 4x4's to block the tires and you will be fine to put the tongue on the ground or on a scrap of plywood. Don't rely on a piece of 2x6 in your hand and try to throw it under the tire if something goes wrong? Have everything in place before you start, I used to do this same thing with a 19' open bow I had. The angle of the driveway was just enough that I couldn't lower my outdrive all the way. I used the method described dozens of times and never had any problems. Sometimes it is not logical to drive all the way to the lake or find someone with a test tank, thats why they sell muffs. Good luck

magster65

Commander

I chock the wheels from rolling even though I'm on a level driveway. Since it's flat it doesn't matter if I'm hooked to the truck still or not. I too lower the drive until it touches the ground and give just a quick touch back up for some clearance.
I rarely give it more than a fast idle and only flush for a minute or two. I figure if you're gonna' do any real testing or tuning you need to be able to load the engine.
On the rare occasion that I need to warm up the engine completely, I lower it as far as I can and don't rev it up.