What Kinda Tube Do you use??

indiana324

Cadet
Hey all!!

I am a newbie , we went out a couple of times last year with a two person tube and i was thinking of getting a 3 person, the one i was looking at is on this site and its called "super mable", anyone have it ? like it? can you recomend another tube?? the one i mentioned is like 246 bucks..thought id ask for some opnions on here before i buy!

Thanks For you help!

Mike

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What Kinda Tube Do you use??

I don't know much about the bigger tubes, we have found that a small one person tube gives the most exiteing ride.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you just have to get a multiperson tube don't.....I've found if you start playing hard, someone always ends up getting hurt. Get you a 1 person tube that is flat across the top(doesn't have a hole to sit in) and that is short vertically....that way you are only 8 or so inches off the water. Very exciting ride.

John_S

Rear Admiral

We have used a Sportsstuff Bonzi (same as Rampage) for the last two seasons. Before that a single person delta tube. The Bonzi is exiciting with 1 or 2 people. Any larger tube (3 or moew) and it will exceed the beam of our boat and will not be able to strap down. Two people means less waiting, and you tire them out quicker with less gas. There are a number of 2 person tubes with similiar designs.

http://www.sportsstuff.com/dyn_prod.php?p=SPT53-2155&k=68034

indiana324

Cadet

This sport stuff bonzi looks cool...would like to get at least a two person tube..the one i have now does have the hole in it and its ok...its also a two person...any other suggestions ? ill scratch the 3 person mable one because of the size issue..thanx to all for your input!!

Mike

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I agree with lrdchaos...when we used tubes with more than one person, somebody usually ended up hurt from body-to-body collisions. I strongly recommend staying with a single person tube....they're able to deliver a more exciting ride anyway and are less stressful to your towing point on the boat.
--
Stan

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another Banzai pipeline fan here... It will take 2 persons but is fine with a single rider too. Tube choice depends a lot on what sort of tubing you want to do... flat single rider tubes are the most radical... big tubes are typically for mellow 'cruising'.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I can see where two people on the tube can add to more injuries. With the Bonzi, the boat driver is really in control. The driver has to "work" at losing the riders. On tight cornering, when tube spins out to the sides, it does not catch and flip like flat tubes. If you have real agressive riders they go by themselves.

Most of our riders are teens and early tweenties. The girls like going together, and the wave inticipation screams add to the fun. I think it becomes, who can scream the loudest. They also like to face each other, leaning against the 45 angle, and gab while we put around the lake. The boys like to show off, and go by themselves. Many times they like to see how long they can stand-up or from kneeling position. If the driver finds or creates the right wave, you can get some good air too.

Our single rider tube only sees action at the beach. :(

In two seasons the only injuries we've had are fatigued arms and a little tube rash. We are usually in the 25-30mph range, which is fast for tubing. I think the recommended safe is 15-20. ;) We use a 4-person tube rope. After 2 seasons, no cracks by tow-ring, but plan to re-inforce it this spring.

The price on the Bonzi was around $125. I was skeptical it was the same quality and construction as the Rampage. An email from Sportsstuff confirmed the only difference was the graphic. I got mine off ebay, but hear that Costco sells them, too. We are on a small lake with a single store that sells O'Brian tubes. As of last season, there were three Bonzis on the lake. The year before, we were the only one. :) I bet there will be a few more this season.

Good luck with your choice. No matter which you choose, you will have fun.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use a somewhat triangular tube with two cutouts where people sit. We run either two kids or four kids in the cutouts (under 10), or 1 kid straddling in between the two cutouts on the hump.

The tube is awesome for how we tube.

We don't do the high speed whip turns, as these little guys don't have a chance at keeping a tube from flipping, they don't understand the lean yet.

We "double up" and accelerate into the bumps, sending these guys up to ten feed in the air, and they love it. Just turn the boat around a couple of times, then when you get a big fat combo of wakes, drop the throttle a little and pop, up in the air they go. They eat it up.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

We "double up" and accelerate into the bumps, sending these guys up to ten feed in the air, and they love it. Just turn the boat around a couple of times, then when you get a big fat combo of wakes, drop the throttle a little and pop, up in the air they go. They eat it up.

Yeah, I use that technique, too. It's guaranteed to turn to most frightened tube rider into a rabid fan in less than 10 minutes. :D And it's so easy to adjust the ride from a gentle roller-coaster to popping someone 10 feet into the air easy! And anything in between.

John--most of the injuries I see are people getting their heads knocked together when the tube bumps over a wave---so if you have a tube where the people can sit away from each other instead of side-by-side, it'll probably minimize the risk of head bumps.
--
Stan

indiana324

Cadet

Thanx to everyone for your help!! the bonzi or Rampage isnt on the cosco site...i only see it at the sportstuff site for 289...pretty pricey..anyone know where else it can be found...should i expect to spend that much money>??

Thanks Again Fellow fun lovers!!

Mike:eek:

John_S

Rear Admiral

I'd call Costco and make sure they do not plan to restock it. Maybe it is just seasonal stocking until sold out. I didn't find any in the quick search on Ebay.

Overton's has Rampage onsale for $250, and their Gladiator version is $230.
"http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/catalog.cgi?r=browse&aID=3B&cname=2-person-Towables-tubes"

Or less than $200 here at iBoats: ;)
http://www.iboats.com/Rampage_Half_...03803582--**********.274998037--view_id.40073

Two things I forgot to mention:
- The high 45 degree side provides allot of visability to surrounding boaters. There have been times where its hard to notice low-profile tubes it the boat wake.

- When you do get the Bonzi to flip, it rides on the tips of the 45 angles, with very little drag. Our older delta tube, traditional hole style tube, would become a sea anchor when flipped.

Good luck, I hope you find one at a good price.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I've seen them hanging in the store, but not on the water. They have been around for a few years. They have more of a tunnel design with two edges. Riders could ride up on that edge and have some ability to steer the tube. I'd would want to know how they perform on a corner spin-out. Would they glide or tend to catch one of the edges? Need someone with some real world water report.

Back when I was selecting the two-person tube, it came down to half-pipe (U tube) style vs the more performance oriented of the Matrix style. There is a Mamba that is in this catagory, too. There are two styles to the Mamba, a laydown and a sit-in. I am refering to the laydown style. Someone on the Bayliner Owner Forum has one and posted allot of info and pictures.

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice

Anybody have an opinion on a two person flat deck tube vs. a rampage? Going to buy a two person for this year and I am kinda up in the air and have little experience with either. Any advantages vs. disadvantages of a rampage vs a flat deck low profile?

John_S

Rear Admiral

BigD,

I have not owned a flat low profile 2-person deck tube or ever pulled one behind my boat. I have watched a number of different brands of this type, but mostly O'Brians.

The main difference I notice, is on the spin-outs on the turns. This is when the boats makes a sharp 180, and the tube swings out of the wake at very fast speeds. On a 2-person flat tubes both riders have to be experienced enough to heavily lean into the inside edge toward boat wake, to prevent the leading outside edge from catching a wave, and flipping.

On the pipe type tubs, it takes very little or no leaning to get throught the same manuever. I have done it to many of my kids friends that never had been on any towed tube before. On their first time, by the 2nd loop, I'm spinning them out to the sides.

I suspect that the flat tubes have more drag and pull on the back of the boat. Also going through a series of waves, while both types bounce around, the U tube seem a little more stable. But, sometimes fun is being on instable edge. ;)

For non-towing the flat tube could hold three in a tanning position vs chaise lounge of U tube.

Both types have their storage issues, on and off the boat, due to their size. That all depends on your boat type and facilities, though. I hang mine upside down under the peak of the mooring roof for storage.

Anyway, you can read my posts above on other benefits the U tube style has. Maybe some flat tube owners can pipe up with their experiences. There certainly could be differences that I am not aware of.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Flat tuber here. (2-person, 72 inch diameter).

I agree with most folks that the flat tube has more propensity to flip, but not that much more. My son (12 last summer) is basically a daredevil, and is not happy unless I throw him from the tube. I keep the speed "mid-scary" (never over 30 MPH), because I believe he could get hurt at greater speeds.

Below 30 I don't believe I could ever throw him off a half-pipe tube. The only way to get him off is to get the tube to catch an edge. He really enjoys the "skill" of making sure the edges stay clear. The tube has at least 8 handles and he is constantly switching hand-holds and shifting weight.

My daughter, on the other hand NEVER wants to get thrown. I can give her as exciting a ride as I want without her ever getting thrown off.

My .02$

Last edited:

204 Escape

Ensign

We have 2 tubes. One is a Speed Zone 2 which both of my boys like, and then we have just a one person Speed Zone that no one even rode last year.

We like the Speed Zone 2.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

4 man "Cruizzer" from Outdoor world. Never had more than 2 on it but it sure is fun. Donut hole in it and lots of handles. Great for the scared first timer and also the "thrill riders" we get as well. The ride is in the hands of the driver !!!!
Got it 3 years ago on sale for $79 to replace a very tired old 2 man tube. It instantly became a hit with the kids !!!!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I don't have any experience with a two or three person tube But I have seen a lot of people wipe out on them. Personally I don't think any of the new funky designs have even come close to the original. It's not about shifting your weight on turns it's turning your body around the tube so the tow line points straight at the boat, something you can't do on one of them funky things.

Not only is it almost impossible to get thrown you can catch big air totally under control by just hopping/ bouncing the tube while being slingshot.

My friend tried all day with his Hydrostream Viper running wide open. Tons of fun.