1995 5.8 Volvo/Penta

NeverEnough02

Seaman
I am going to look at a boat this weekend with a V/P 5.8 with 180 total hours since 1995. It is at a car dealership where the owner wants to free up the space. The entire boat has 180 hours and runs a bit rough. He had the boat owner take him out on the water before he took it in as trade and everything worked fine. According to the boat owner, it needs new fuel injectors and that will run about $1800. This could be my first boat. I know about motors and how oil can become acidic after being used and sitting in a motor. I do not know a lot about the lower half and what to look for. What should I listen/look/smell for while inspecting the boat? I am guessing if all checks out this weekend, I should bring it to a boat mechanic and pay him to open it up and check everything out that is not in plain view. Any clue on how much that would cost? Any pointers are appreciated.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 5.8 Volvo/Penta

He had the boat owner take him out on the water before he took it in as trade and everything worked fine. According to the boat owner, it needs new fuel injectors and that will run about $1800.

I don't see how you can reconcile these two statements. If everything is fine it wouldn't need 1800.00 worth of injector work.

The only thing worse than a used car dealer is a used car dealer selling boats.. I'd be careful on this one. Make sure you check everything out and don't take his word for anything.

As for the outdrive, drain some gear lube off and make sure it's clean and not milky. Check the magnet for significant filings

M

NeverEnough02

Seaman

I don't see how you can reconcile these two statements. If everything is fine it wouldn't need 1800.00 worth of injector work.

The only thing worse than a used car dealer is a used car dealer selling boats.. I'd be careful on this one. Make sure you check everything out and don't take his word for anything.

As for the outdrive, drain some gear lube off and make sure it's clean and not milky. Check the magnet for significant filings

M

"everything works fine" was comming from somebody who is admitting he has no clue. I am assuming this means that the boat started, and the electronics all worked. I am also assuming that the motor running is at least a good sign that it is not seized up or cracked. He really would like the boat off his lot (it is full of high end euro luxury cars) it looks very far out of place. The owner bought it new and has all of the paperwork. I can contact the origonal owner at any time, I just need some opinions on what to ask so I do not miss anything. I will bring a tool box and check what you have recommended. Thank you!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

What you have to burn into your head first is "hours and model year doesn't mean a thing"

1. first and formost check transom/hull/floor for integrity and make sure nothing is waterlogged/rotted.
2. check the engine oil and drive oil.
3. Do a compression test (while plugs are out have a lookie at them, make sure they all look appropriately dirty)
4. pressure test the drive
5. Pull the drive and check the bellows and gimal bearing... make sure you bring a gasket kit!!! (check alignment while your back there)
6. Jack the nose up and make sure there is no water in the bilge.
7. Cork it and float it. Let it warm up then run the snot out of it for 20 minutes.
8. Check exhaust manifold and riser tempratures.
9. Put a stethoscope on the block and listen to the bearings.
10. Check alternater output while loading the battery.
11. Check that all accesorys work, all lights, horn, bilge pump, blower motor... etc.
12. trailer it back, pull the cork, jack it up, and see if the boat took on any water.

If anything is out with 1 through 9 think aleast 500 bucks per item (and that is a conservative number)

Expect to pay a mechanic 300 to 500 depending on access. Don't pay more than 500. The mechanic's report is yours to keep, not the dealers. Instruct the mechanic not to talk to the dealership at any time. Should you decline the boat, Ask the dealership if they wish to purchace the mechanics report for 1/2 the cost. Should you buy the boat, settle on the final price then negotiate to have 1/2 the mechanics bill knocked off the final price. Ask the mechanic up front if he will work on you with the price should you need him to look at more than 1 boat.
Good luck and happy boating!!

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

Note, although Merc injectors are over $200 a pop, they rarely go bad.
Have them pulled out, send them to witchhunter.com - he'll go through them, clean, balance, flow test, and put new rubber on them for $17/each...

If they're bad, he'll tell you... As this is a 5.8L there is probably a non-marine equv injector that will work just as well from the auto side of the world.

MikDee

Banned

I'm just curious, is that a 5.8 (351 Ford) motor? I didn't think they used them in 1995? just the earlier years, but maybe it was just Mercruiser that stopped using them in the late 70's? and went to all Chevy's.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I'm just curious, is that a 5.8 (351 Ford) motor? I didn't think they used them in 1995? just the earlier years, but maybe it was just Mercruiser that stopped using them in the late 70's? and went to all Chevy's.

Volvo was using them from 93 (I think) to 95. Whatever the joint venture years with were OMC.

My boat has a VP package but the engine is an OMC 5.0. Year 1995. Even has the OMC flame arrestor cover. :)

So yes, the Ford 5.0 and 5.8 were in production in 95 for VP.

M

NeverEnough02

Seaman

I agree find another boat to buy. :)

Why would you say that?

Thanks for the help guys, I am thinking about having a mechanic do all of this since I dont have some of these tools yet. All great advice though! Should I ask the person who owned the boat anything? I was planning on asking if it was kept in water, what maint was done and things of that nature. If the hull/interior/electronics are all good and we will say I need to spend 1800 on the motor, what would you pay for the boat?

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Why would you say that?
That wasn't MY quote, but for me it would be because some of us have had enough experience buying used boats that did NOT appear to need almost 2k in work out of the box and ended up dumping that and then some into what seemed like meticulously cared for machines.

For instance I bought bought my present boat which actually cleared two surveys two years apart. The boat had little use for a couple seasons from the previous owner. Prior to that the engine was rebuilt. Thought I was getting a great deal. Because of lack of USE I ended up replacing almost everything on the boat that required a motor or pump. Needed and entirely new waste system etc. Replaced bilge pumps, washdown, fresh water pumps, hot water heater on and on. And this was all coming from a running start. Dropped almost 1500.00 alone on new mans and risers. Everything worked and passed tests, but failed within the first year after I got it.

So no, I wouldn't buy a boat which I already know has maintenance problems.

Thanks for the help guys, I am thinking about having a mechanic do all of this since I don't have some of these tools yet.
I think this is a good idea. Get a marine mechanic though, and not a buddy who wants you to own a boat. You need someone objective down in there. You still need someone to check the transom and the stringers. A marine mechanic might at least give you an idea. A car mechanic not familiar with boats isn't a whole lot better than a used cay guy selling boats.

I was planning on asking if it was kept in water, what maint was done and things of that nature.
You want to know if it was stored in fresh or salt water. In fresh water you have fewer concerns about engine/manifold rust and electrical connections, but you have serious concerns about transom and stringer rot if they are wet. The opposite in saltwater. Remember, Salt rots metal, fresh rots wood.

As for asking the guy what he did for maint, you can ask, but I'm not sure what his word is. If he tells you the oil was changed every month are you going to believe him? The bottom line is this thing has been sitting a while and one of two things has happened. Either is sat long enough that the injectors gummed up and that indicates a lot of other problems to come in other systems, or not maint was preformed prior to layup, they thing started to come off the rails and he shelved the boat and now wants to unload his problems.

If the hull/interior/electronics are all good and we will say I need to spend 1800 on the motor, what would you pay for the boat?
Impossible to say since we have no idea what the boat is. Could be anything from a souped up dinghy to an underpowered 28' cruiser. What are you trying to buy?

NeverEnough02

Seaman

That wasn't MY quote, but for me it would be because some of us have had enough experience buying used boats that did NOT appear to need almost 2k in work out of the box and ended up dumping that and then some into what seemed like meticulously cared for machines.

For instance I bought bought my present boat which actually cleared two surveys two years apart. The boat had little use for a couple seasons from the previous owner. Prior to that the engine was rebuilt. Thought I was getting a great deal. Because of lack of USE I ended up replacing almost everything on the boat that required a motor or pump. Needed and entirely new waste system etc. Replaced bilge pumps, washdown, fresh water pumps, hot water heater on and on. And this was all coming from a running start. Dropped almost 1500.00 alone on new mans and risers. Everything worked and passed tests, but failed within the first year after I got it.

So no, I wouldn't buy a boat which I already know has maintenance problems.

I think this is a good idea. Get a marine mechanic though, and not a buddy who wants you to own a boat. You need someone objective down in there. You still need someone to check the transom and the stringers. A marine machine might at least give you an idea. A car mechanic not familiar with boats isn't a whole lot better than a used cay guy selling boats.

You want to know if it was stored in fresh or salt water. In fresh water you have fewer concerns about engine/manifold rust and electrical connections, but you have serious concerns about transom and stringer rot if they are wet. The opposite in saltwater. Remember, Salt rots metal, fresh rots wood.

As for asking the guy what he did for maint, you can ask, but I'm not sure what his word is. If he tells you the oil was changed every month are you going to believe him? The bottom line is this thing has been sitting a while and one of two things has happened. Either is sat long enough that the injectors gummed up and that indicates a lot of other problems to come in other systems, or not maint was preformed prior to layup, they thing started to come off the rails and he shelved the boat and now wants to unload his problems.

Impossible to say since we have no idea what the boat is. Could be anything from a souped up dinghy to an underpowered 28' cruiser. What are you trying to buy?

Thank you for your time so far! I thought I had listed what it was. It is a 1995Chris Craft Concept 23 (bow rider). He is asking 5500. He gave the guy 11k on the trade and has the papers to back it up. It seems like a good deal for what it is but like most of you said, there could be things that start to go once I am beating up on these parts that have not been used for a while. Although I will not have water heaters and things of that nature, a lot of things you mentioned could still go on this boat. I would of course have a boat mechanic look at it and not an automotive mechanic. I can tear down my motorcycle/truck but the boats are a new game.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

"www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-24-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=24&p=38&f=5698&m=0355&d=1600040349&y=1995&ml=C&gc=mr&gtc=MR"

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don S

Use " " marks without spaces, BINGO, no direct link. You guys with no computer smarts should pay attention ;)

PS: Before you guys go off on me for that statement, Mike also fixes my computer here in Washington from Mass.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Use " " marks without spaces, BINGO, no direct link. You guys with no computer smarts should pay attention ;)

PS: Before you guys go off on me for that statement, Mike also fixes my computer here in Washington from Mass.

Sigh... That was way too painful... I must have edited that post 5 times..

And figures, you are here to respond to this post immediately. Never around when I WANT you to respond!! LOL

M

NeverEnough02

Seaman

Well NADA says my 06 motorcycle is worth 11,300 and that is what the MSRP was. Is this more accurate for the boats? I know its what dealers use for cars though. Basically I could put 5 grand into it and break even. I really dont want to break the $7500 mark on the repairs and the boat combined. This boat fits what I was looking for (23-25 bowrider with V-8 and clean interior/exterior). So basically it looks like I am going to go check the boat out myself on Monday. If everything seems to be on point with what you have all told me, I will then start talking to him about bringing it to a marine mechanic. Was the NADA posted to imply its a good deal? If it doesnt need a whole lot of work I am going to assume its a good deal but I have only been loooking for a few months.

Don S

He posted it as a point of reference. We can't see, touch, listen, feel, examine the boat like you can.
If you have to ask the questions you have, then you need a marine survey and a mechanical survey. If you are financing it, the bank will probably require it.