1964 Evinrude 40 hp Lark 6 lower unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakestevens

Seaman
Hey everyone! I just joined the forum, and I'm gathering much info so far, thanks.
I just bought an old fishing boat with a 1964 Evinrude 40 hp Lark 6. I put the boat in the water and ran it for about 5 min. I let the boat sit overnight with the motor down. When I arrived home today, I noticed milky fluid leaking from behind the prop. I removed the prop and the 4 screws at the back of the torpedo housing. I removed the piece which the 4 screws was holding and of course everything is milky white. This is obviously water entering the lower unit.

What seals would be the culprit for this problem? What is my next step in this process?
I have some experience with Mercruiser lower units, but never had my hands on anything like this. I wanted to get some input from some of you guys on this.
Thanks a lot.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1964 Evinrude 40 hp Lark 6 lower unit

Welcome to iboats. sounds like you are in for a complete reseal, is the best way to go. looking at my manual you are going to need one. it shows it is an electric shift. manual "http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1964&ID=53901"

jakestevens

Seaman

thanks for the info. Where on the engine would I find the model #? There were several listing on the website for 1964 40 hp envinrude outboards.
thanks again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Most people tear the wires off the shift coils the first time they take one of those things apart. A very expensive mistake. Get a manual and DON'T let the torpedo section drop down when you unbolt it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Model number

Attachments

• Model number 2.jpg
    Model number 2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0

jakestevens

Seaman

I have the manual and it is very informative and will be a great tool during the tear down. Is there a part # for a complete seal kit for this outboard?
The manual shows that I will have to completely tear down the outboard to replace the seals. Is this the case? If so, I feel confident about it, just don't want to do more than I have to.
Thanks everyone..

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You do not have to completely tear it down unless it is leaking where the lower case joins the upper one...and they generally don't leak there unless one of the studs is broken. Drive shaft seal is under the water pump and accessable once the pump is off. You already see how to replace the prop shaft seal because you have the bearing head out. Don't forget the little o-rings on the 4 screws holding that part in.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont really know anyhing compared to anyone on this site but if the fluid smells like gas it could be unburned gas and oil, in the faq section is where i read that.....

jakestevens

Seaman

Thanks for the info. Is there a part # for ordering the seals and orings for this outboard?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is one option. About $21.95 for the kit, halfway down the page.

"http://www.laingsoutboards.com/newpage4.htm"

jakestevens

Seaman

I have the electric shift model.

Would it make sense to replace the impeller, being that I'm right there anyway?
I did just purchase the boat and I'm unsure about the last time the impeller was replaced.

jakestevens

Seaman

I removed the lower unit and I believe I found the cause of the water in the gear case. The seal on the impeller housing was broken and also the impeller housing is damaged. Looks like someone try to pry the seal out of the housing at one time and damaged it. Is the impeller housing something that is hard to find?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Laings carries the housing.

"http://www.laingsoutboards.com/newpage4.htm"

rkhogan1963

Recruit

Most people tear the wires off the shift coils the first time they take one of those things apart. A very expensive mistake. Get a manual and DON'T let the torpedo section drop down when you unbolt it.

well I just made that mistake.. the wire broke inside, I can still see it up in the lower unit.. can I fix it... if not how expensive...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please read and respect our rules.

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.