hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Hey Ward. Just pm'd you.

I'll be in Kelowna Thurs-Sun for a soccer tournament with my son. I'll have a Corona or two from the case I drop off for you :)

bring your upholstery bud......
robj is here too.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i really feel i should say something here.

i never expected this thread to get this big.

it was always my idea with this thread to document everything about the hull extension build.

it was my hope to help anyone doing a restoration that they would learn from my mistakes and victory's.

it was also my hope to present to you the idea, " it is your boat.....you can do anything you want to it.....anything".

during the course of this thread....many fantastic discussions took place.....about fiberglassing...motor building... piloting systems...electronic navigation.
safety equipment....ect.
we had several visits from ondarvr who is one of the countrys top fiberglass/gellcoat professionals.
im truly grateful for all the support that the iboats community has put into this boat....and it is truly an iboats built boat.

because of this thread i have personally met face to face over 40 of you.....and we all have become good friends....i have also talked to many over the phone about your projects...and truly have some best friends that i have never met yet.

the reason im saying all this....is because this thread has just surpassed 4000 posts with over 300,000 views.
it is now, hands down the largest thread in iboats history, surpassing even the legendary hot'd (rip :D )

my many thanks to all of you who posted with your help opinions and even objections that helped spark some of the fantastic dialogue.
this gave all an opportunity to learn the many ways to build a boat.

to all who this thread has inspired......i wish you all the best and i will continue to help in any way i can here at iboats.

happy grinding.

oops

Goldy1997

Cadet

I have a 1984 Rinker 18 1/2' open bow that I just gutted. I've been reading your thread, mainly because of the extension. I've been really thinking about extending the hull 2 feet, so this info is gold to me. Like you, I also want to put in a 383 stroker. Seems like most people think I'm crazy for even thinking about cutting the hull. I just picked the boat up cheap & the hull is in great shape. I was just curious how thick your hull is after you laid the biax layers down, just so I could have a comparision to mine. :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Opps,
Well said.
The real thanks goes out to you for sharing you exploits with the rest of us and all the hard times you have been through.
I haven't posted that many times on your thread but I assure you I have read all 4000+ post, and will continue to follow it. I have used a lot of the information you and others have posted.
Once again thanks.
P.S. Here are a couple pic's to prove my point.
IMG00253.jpg

IMG00255.jpg

We really got some strange looks driving down the highway with this.:D:D
Well done sir.
Thanks
Bob

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haha, way to go bobsglasstream!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1984 Rinker 18 1/2' open bow that I just gutted. I've been reading your thread, mainly because of the extension. I've been really thinking about extending the hull 2 feet, so this info is gold to me. Like you, I also want to put in a 383 stroker. Seems like most people think I'm crazy for even thinking about cutting the hull. I just picked the boat up cheap & the hull is in great shape. I was just curious how thick your hull is after you laid the biax layers down, just so I could have a comparision to mine. :D

the hull with the glass was over 1/2 inch thick....after fairing and extra glass...its about an inch.

while it is not cost effective to do an extension....the joy is worth it...lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hey Opps,
Well said.
The real thanks goes out to you for sharing you exploits with the rest of us and all the hard times you have been through.
I haven't posted that many times on your thread but I assure you I have read all 4000+ post, and will continue to follow it. I have used a lot of the information you and others have posted.
Once again thanks.
P.S. Here are a couple pic's to prove my point.
IMG00253.jpg

IMG00255.jpg

We really got some strange looks driving down the highway with this.:D:D
Well done sir.
Thanks
Bob

lol bob....:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

just wanted to let you know.....my posting will be speradic for the next little while.

the internet wont be connected till the 20 th......so its gonna all be from the bowling alley lol.
some of you have my phone number so call if you need...ill try to check in daily....but that depends on the puter being open....

cheers guys
oops

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

ill have to try that on a customers boat when they want a repower lol!!!!

redfury

Commander

heckuva lot faster than actually having to swap all the drive components, right? :D

sprintst

Commander

Too bad I didn't have a chance to hang out longer. Kind of hard with 13 16 y/o boys in tow.

Let me know if the Corona is gone yet :)

Cptkid570

Ensign

Oops - I don't know if you will be on to read this or not, but I just have to tell you how happy I am to hear that you are swamped with work. It wasn't too long ago that you had no work at all when you closed your other business. So, even if you seem overwhelmed with all of the 12 hour days, enjoy the fact that you have a job.. I'm happy for you!!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I don't want him swamped Id like to see just enough high paying jobs to make what he is making now so I can see more pics and progress. :D

redfury

Commander

yeah, getting swamped with work is always a good sign, especially if it lasts...but when you end up having no time for yourself, then the rates need to go up to lessen the load but still bring in the cashola, or you need to hire help.

Don't get comfortable having a boat that you can use now Ward! Don't get complacent and drag this out forever! :p That's my job and my project, not yours! :D

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The last thing you have to worry about is oops! working too hard! We just got off the lake testing another prop. We took a 13 3/4" 23p for a test and it was terrible. 39 mph at 3800 rpm and slow to get on plane. We are trying to get a better prop than the 19p he has but so far no go. The 19 was 43.5 mph at 4250 rpm and it jumps out of the water. We are going to try a 21p 4 blade if we can find one to try. He was really expecting to get a 50 mph boat but it don't look like thats going to happen with this motor. Bob you got a good start there. When can we expect the rest of the job to get done? haha.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe Redfury can hire Oops to finish his boat! ;)

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

This thread just got to far back. Glad to hear that you're busy. Where is the new steering wheel? I know, it's not the 20th yet.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Interesting.

Just wondering, do you have to re-title your boats with the DMV when you make this type of modification in the state you live in?

Just curious.

Dave

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

was up at Kekuli Prov. Park and passed through town and I was suprised at how little boats were on Lake Okanagan.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well its the 20 th and im back on finally !

wow what a hassle without the net....
ya never know ya need it till its gone.

the bay liner is just about done.
i expect another 10 hours....i have to take it off the trailer to fix some rough spots on the keel.
i did all around, but some of the areas are obstructed by the frame of the trailer. so more gellcoating work on my back for a while.

im going to see if photo bucket is faster now.so ill try to get some pics up.

Status
Not open for further replies.