hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Well I wasnt exactly planning on giving it away but dont really know what kind of price to put on it. I guess Im looking for offers. It is actually an entire outdrive unit with Gimbal, transom plates and everything minus the engine and power trim pump. I am going to use the lower part for my boat because my boat has a chipped cavitation plate. I also may keep the trim cylinders in case I ever need them but not too sure about the rest.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

oops! was installing the drive last night when I talked to him, so weather permitting, he'll be testing it today. Unless he can find the GPS I left there for him to use we won't get much useful info from the test. The speedo never worked on the first and second runs so now that he got the tube cleaned out, and it should work, it won't tell him anything.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi guys......sorry for the long delay in updates....ive been really busy with the drive.

well it arrived as noklu said.....

the drive was in new condition....in fact the mechanic the shares my shop thought it was new.

well as soon as it arrived....i ripped the drive off the back of the boat and started the swap.

after the upper and lower were separated i was bound and determined to fix the speedo issue.

because the gauge and pitot vacuum tube/connector was new. the problem with the speedo not reading had to be in the lower unit of the drive.

on the alpha one gen 2...there is a quick connect for the speedo....that way you dont have to have one of those pitot attachments hanging from the back of the boat and dragging in the water.....

i removed the cap that holds the alpha quick connect system and cleaned the resoviour for the pitot pick up.....i used acid wash....then brake cleaner
the flushed it.
i also took a drill bit and re drilled the actual pitot hole on the front of the lower unit. it seems that someone had actually filled the pitot pickup with some kind of sealant !
after i re drilled it i flushed it again with acid wash..it took a few times till the solution actually got all the sealant out...but after a few flushes it was working correctly

i re assmebled the upper and lower and the next day i replaced the drive on the boat.
i also re checked the alignment...it was still great.

after a quick land run up...it was off to the lake for a test.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

water conditions for the test were flat glass calm.
no gps....but a brand new speedometer system
the prop was a rebuilt 19p alum
fuel load (bow tank) was 1/4 full....about 10 gallons.

i did a small 1/2 hour warm up of the drive and motor at approx 2000 rpm just to make sure all was well.

acceleration tests from 2000-3500 rpm were good.

i did my first w.o.t (Wide Open Throttle) run from 2000 rpm to 4100. the speedo read 49 mph !

the boat tended to porpus (sp?) on me....so lol.....it might be time for trim tabs after all....

after several hi speed runs...and a few races with cars driving over the bridge....(i won :D) i decided to try a waterski type of acceleration test....from a stopped start to full throttle.

i dropped the hammer on the shifter .....the boat shot out of the water so fast that i actually ripped the lag bolt that was holding the front of the chair out...(the ply wood in that area is 1.5 ins thick !) i just about went butt over tea kettle....scared the stuffing out of myself ! :eek::D
my cell phone just about went swimming but i didnt spill my beer !

the boat was on plane instantly and hit the 45 mph mark within a few seconds. the final acceleration to 49 mph was a little slower.

i did several high speed u turns at 40 mph laying the boat on its side and holding the throttle thru the turn....those sharp chines i built into the hull grabbed and there was no ventalation of the prop thru the turns. wow.....talk about g force...lol

just before i put in....(after about a two hour boat test) the wind came up slightly and a small ripple started on the lake......i dropped the hammer again...and saw 50 mph on the gauge.....50.....yee haa !

since the prop i was using was a elcheepo alum....i think with a proper wheel on it....i will be able to see and maintain 50 at wot.

well....it was celebration time !.....i had to tip back a few coronas :D

cheers
oops

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, I hope my luck runs as good as yours. I will be posting pics soon on my Wellcraft Cuddy. I have restored all the Teak on the boat and even added some. It is going to look sharp when its done.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've been following your thread on and off now since I started my boat 7-8 months ago. I'm glad to here that through everything, you are finally seeing your hard work rise to the top! Glad you didn't spill your beer as well:D

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Awesome! Congrats! Got any pics?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great news oops! glad she's running smoothly for ya:D

Sounds like a fun boat ride you had!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Great NeWS,
Glad to hear everything went well with the outdrive change and everything else.
Congrats, it's been a long time coming.
Bob

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Holy fak, glad to finally hear this thing is on the water..... BUT where's the video?!?! I don't think I missed the video. If you have one and need a place to put it... PM me!!

headhunter2

Seaman Apprentice

oops! thank you so much for your efforts and the knowledge that you have given, I hit the water today and it was great...couldn't have done it with out you...Great job and congrats on the great test run.

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

weeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Congrats on a stellar splash trial oops!!! All the work comes together nicely doesn't it!!!! Can't wait to see the pics! :D

redfury

Commander

you weren't driving that thing with the plywood steering wheel you made, were you? :p:D

Friscoboater

Captain

Oops,

I remember you having an issue with some vibration when you first had the engine in? Did you ever figure it out?

I just dropped a new 260 in my rig and everything is perfect. I can hit 53 GPS and run around great. But about 2000 rpm I have a slight vibration. I do not remember it with the old engine.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Congratulations Oops, Its great seeing her in the water. Now you need to install a live boat camera like TC so you can take us all on a virtual boat ride :D:D

Cptkid570

Ensign

Frisco - his vibration problem was because he didn't have the correct engine coupler. He had the newer version bolted onto an older engine.. so, he needed the older version. It's a few pages back, he has photos of the two different ones.. Oh -- and one of the spring washers was broken -- where the rear of the engine bolts in.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats, oops. It's be a reel thrill ride in this forum.

Since you pulled a bolt out, imagine what the skier will feel like when you floor it! You'll probably pull the arms out of their sockets:cool:.

Are there any other challeges that you may want to tackle?

Cheers!

Andy in NY

Commander

AWESOME OOPS!!! Glad to hear it went well!

Now hurry up and make it a finished product!

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oops! any updates? [he said shaking in withdrawl]:)

Status
Not open for further replies.