hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

If he needs a computer all I need is his address and I can send him one on the bus. All he pays is the shipping (cheap). I have one left I haven't gutted yet.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I need updates man.Cant go on this way fore ever.Going to drive to canada

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going through oops withdraw.....ouch ouch ouch....boating season must be over with....:(:(
I love what you have done..great job:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello Folks,
I'm another noobie and I just finished reading this thread from front to back. I couldn't beleave how much information was in these pages. It has covered virtually everything from A to Z. Great job OOP's and also to all of the folks that helped him. I just started my own thread but it pails compaired to this. I can't say enough about the job you have done. Great job to everyone and I look forward to reading this thread to the end of the project. Good luck OOPs.
Thanks again for the great thread.
Bob
:D:D:D

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Alright now, I don't hang around in the restore thread much anymore, but someone needs to update us. Noklu, jcsercsa have you guys heard anything? Tell oops to stop by a library or something. He does, after all, have a loyal following. I wish him the best.

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Previously I had read pages 126-135 of this great thread. Last night I finally got around to starting from page 1. I made it up to page 26 and want to add some comments regarding the work that was being done back then.

First, because it is really important...health and safety. While proper protection from inhalation of dust was addressed, when it comes to fumes the only thing I saw was a reference to the headache or high in reaction to breathing fumes. Especially with all that acetone this is no laughing matter. To all who will be working with resins, acetone, etc I strongly suggest you get and read the MSDS for each material you plan to use. Proper protection is as important as anything else and when scheduling your project you really must consider how you'll ensure your protection. My concern in not because I'm some namby pamby law enforcer but from over 20 yrs working as a building contractor and lots of experience with fiberglass and resins. (surfboard making, boat repairs and projects, chemist for a large resin mfg)

2nd, all that grinding...gosh, borrow a tip from the cabinet shops and use a dust collection system. A flexible hose attached to a air powered sander would be ideal. Anyway, when working with glass and foam, etc, you can expect a fair amount of sanding or grinding. A method to contain and remove the dust is a great thing. It really cuts down on the workload and makes the project more enjoyable because walking into a dust covered workspace is no fun. I was surprised Oops didn't get a cold until several months into his project. Breathing that crap--even when wearing a good mask like his--and that amount of exposure will attack the body. No eye infection is surprising to me.

Oh yeah...there is a real risk of fire hazard with too much dust in the air or chemical fumes. Be careful and think when using power tools in these conditions especially inside a space like a boat hull where fumes settle and have a high concentration.

Capping the stringers...I won't get into how important that is but I do have some suggestions: use cloth laid out on the bias. As mentioned, the strands do not like to bend. The trick is to get those strands to lay out on a 45 as they make the corner. Bi axial doesn't work so well but cloth is better here.
Many suggestions were made, here's another...apply a thick bead of PL400 down the cap to bed the cloth or even a matting. The PL is pliable and sticky. The fiberglass won't have to bend so tightly and will adhere in place.

For fairing, as WiseOne mentioned, the only best way is long sanding board. I've faired a lot of boats (including racing sail boats) and a lot more surfboards, and this is the way to fair.

Be sure to give yourself a lot of elbow room so you can stand back and eye the line. Those lights in Oop's new shop were exactly the right height and I saw that right away in the first pic he posted of the boat's new home. That low angle light really helps to see any imperfections in a fair line.

This isn't a dig at Oops or anyone. I think this is a great thread and I really appreciate the text and pics and suggestions found here. Now that I'm hooked (like everybody else it seems) I find it addicting. Thank you, Oops and everyone.

jcsercsa

Captain

Alright now, I don't hang around in the restore thread much anymore, but someone needs to update us. Noklu, jcsercsa have you guys heard anything? Tell oops to stop by a library or something. He does, after all, have a loyal following. I wish him the best.

Hay Guys . I havent talked to him sence my last post here . I know things are not going great with the goverment and him !! but he's doing good !!! Its just like everwhere things are tight !!

If Noklu doent chime in here I will give him a call here later in the week !! John

redfury

Commander

I know oops! is online, so don't worry about computer problems. I'm sure there is plenty of good reason why the project is stalled on Iboats at the moment....whatever the snafu is, I'm sure it'll get worked out eventually and he'll complete the project....it's come way to far to not get finished. Patience folks! :)

NoKlu

I pop in to see what's up around here but I'm in northern Alberta working on the rigs so I'm in the dark as much as you guy's are. I heard from him last week but that's about it. I do know he is not working on the boat. The manifolds he had did not fit so that brought things to a screeching halt. He was selling enough wake towers this summer to keep him going but that's dried up. Kelowna is a hard place to live in and a lot of people work 2 and 3 jobs just to make ends meet. oops! is a salesman and it won't be long before he's able to rebound and restart this epic journey. Just gotta have faith and a little patience. Hell be back, no doubt about it. ;)

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As I suspected. Such is life in the real world. NoKlu, thanks for the update.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this wealth of knowledge and experience with us all good luck , Enjoy your time off you need it ..

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Man he dont need time off he needs to get that puppy wet.All jokes aside,Hope that government thing gets worked out and you get some income rolling.Slow times its harder to find play money.

cribber

Lieutenant

Oops hope you're doing okay...

sprintst

Commander

We should see if Oops has a paypal account. I'd gladly contribute as I've been watching this channel. :)

I'm paying for crap on tv where I find his boat progressing far more entertaining...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Im up for a paypal donation.Love to see this puppy running

jcsercsa

Captain

HAy guys and Gals , I just got off the phone with ward !! hes doing good , Infact he just ordered some parts today , and he said he will be on here in a bit !!! so good news !!! John

NoKlu

And I just got my new pc back from 3 weeks at the repair shop. Long story,but it works now. I was in kelowna a couple of weeks ago and almost fell out of my chair when oops! walked in! :eek: He chopped his hair off! Yup it's cut short! I heard a rumor he sold his sleds so he's probably been out getting the parts he needed to continue on the boat. Now,if he could only sell that Bravo 3 he's got, he would be all set.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Been in withdrawal hope to see opps back at it and maybe all that fed crap disappeared.Best wishes to you opps and a better new year.

erikgreen

Captain

Yeah, tell that guy to get online and say hi at least... we know he's busy, but we miss him... tell him he can come and vent to us about his problems :)

Erik

I finished reading this post from page one over the weekend, thank god I can finally get back to doing some work. The journey has been a great one, I've learned so much of what and what not to do. I really can't wait to see this project get done! I've been inspired to not just patch things up on my boat but to really look deeper and fix things cause I know there is always someone out there that will help.

~Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.