drive coupler pre alpha

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Ok, Are all the drive couplers the same until they went to thew triangle type? Or was there a change in # of slines dring pre alpha to alpha? thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: drive coupler pre alpha

Number of splines never changes. Bolt patterns at crank, type of coupler, overall length, are some of the things that change.

Get the right one, or prepare to buy 2 and have a spare for someone.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Evening Don, Thanks ok i'll look up the #s for my application. I thought someone mentioned counting the splines.:)

Don S

The splines from an old Merc One drive will fit , Alpha I gen II coupler splines, also Bravo, OMC, Volvo SX/DP-S (94 and newer), etc. Length and how the ujoints attach and type of ujoints is another story.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Got it, good info Don thanks The 18-2171 fits mine and alot more.:)

Don S

Eeeeeuuwwww, a Sierra almost a coupler.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

HAHA! SO that was a "should use a genuine mercruiser one" comment huh?:rolleyes: Had troubles with the sierra ones?

ziggy

Admiral

i'm startin to think like dons man.... i've been gettin hosed over a few aftermarket parts myself.... the oem ones have worked proper as an afterthought. which is more than i can say for the few aftermarkets i've tried... yer gettin ready to do a coupler, if it don't work out... ya get to pull the drive and engine again and do it over.... how much extra is oem parts?... worth a drive and engine removeale in time? let alone what it may take out while failed....

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Ha Ha! Evening Don "Jr." haha I mean Ziggy, Yeah i guess on some stuff it makes sense to use the good stuff like with a coupler. Thanks D.J. HAHA!:D