free online tax prep

dansoph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
does anyone know of a free online tax service that does state and fed ? the ones i tried said they were free, but when you were all done they want a fee to send the state . my kids are students and don't make much $. i don't want to pay my tax guy to do there small stuff. thanks for any help. dan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: free online tax prep

TurboTax is only a few bux and usually saves me a LOT more than it costs.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Last year, I think Turbotax was free to anybody making under 40g's a year.

I would be very afraid to send my personal tax records to some so called real company I found on the NET,,,,,,,,,,ID thieves are sometimes very clever.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Turbo tax is an H&R Block company.
TaxCut is another one.
They both charge this year though.$14.95 to do federal.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello to you from Osan Korea,
If your in the military there is a site called Military one source but you will have to register and then you can get to H.R. Block tax cut basic to do both Federal and State taxes for free. There is also Tax Slayer for military which I haven't used but I will use H.R. Block taxcut basic tommorrow when I do my taxes myself. You can also go to the irs.gov and maybe there is a free tax preparation you can use. I am sure you can find a good do it yourself tax orogram to do your taxes for free. Take care, Bob

rwise

Captain

I think most charge something for state returns, I use taxact.com ;)

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used TaxSlayer for years before I retired and the last that I knew there was a $9.95 charge for electronic filing for federal taxes which included the state filing for free.
I think it is still free if you don't mind mailing your return.Ron G

http://www.taxslayer.com/#'

Last edited by a moderator:

jal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are many States that will let you to do your state tax on line. This would be a free service, provided by your state tax dept.
Give them a call.

gonefishie

Commander

If you go to www.irs.gov, they have links for different free (federal only) e-filing sites includes h&r block. As far as state goes, most have free on-line filing. If your kids are student then you can get them the 1040EZ form from the irs website and your state dept. of revenue website. Those EZ forms are about one page long and anyone can fill it out, it's a no brainer.

gss036

Commander

I don't know if it still is around, but a very simple EZ-Form could be filed over the telephone. My daughter used it several times while in school.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Just checked taxslayer and they charge $9.95 to file federal and state.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My taxes are done. I spent a few hours doing them and after correcting the errors it went threw and was accepted by both the IRS and the State so I am good to go with my taxes ffor this year and did them myself for free just had to invest my personal time doing them and I am getting a good return. Feels great that 2007 taxes are behind me now. I used the H&R Block tax cut program:) off the Military One Source and it worked great. Take care Bob

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

I've used TaxCut from H&R Block for years, strictly for convenience.

This year I have not found the typical rebate packages, so I might not buy it. I usually end up having to pay a little more on both federal and state, so there's no advantage to e-filing. I usually mail the stuff in around mid-March.

Even though I've used tax prep software for 15 years or so, I can't say it's ever saved me money. I still have to know what's deductible, what's creditable, what I need to track, what to summarize before I can even know if I should enter it in a program or form.

I do use Micro$loth Money for our family finances, and I print up a summary by category every early January and review it carefully and compare it to physical statements (like for charitable contributions) to come up with all the deductions. But then I have to check and summarize all the Goodwill donations, all the out-of-pocket expense and mileage for charities we volunteer for, all the jobhunting expenses and mileage, etc. And I have to know enough to track these and summarize them. Since this is actually where the work is, I can't see where the prep programs actually save me anything.

Our state tax forms don't allow any decuctions, although they do have a few special credits. For several years I've used a spreadsheet to do the calculations etc for me, then just copy the figures to a hard copy, enclose my check, and mail it mid-March.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just print the forms from the IRS site, fill them out and mail them in. If they do not make that much they will not get that much back anyway. The 1040EZ form takes all of about 10 minutes to fill out. It takes longer to print it and gather the info.........

topdawg1817

Cadet

My car/ home insurance is though State Farm and I was able to go through them and use Turbo Tax for free, E-filing included.

gss036

Commander

I went to the IRS site, free filing. I used TaxCut(H&R Block) for my grandson and then to TurboTax (Intuit) to do my daughter and son-in-laws. All very simply to use and free filing as long as you meet the qualifications.
I already bought my Turbo Tax software at Costco (like $16 w/coupon). I suppose they will charge to e-file. That way I can take my time doing mine as they are more complicated and cannot get the free file stuff.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Mine is much too complicated for me to even think about, therefore i let the professionals handle it. It costs more that way but i get to have better nights sleep.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

Used Turbo for mine today, free version online, and e-filed. Never did it before, pretty straightforward. Then did my state with the state site. Turbo does keep trying to get ya to buy it, I just kept saying no. About 2 hours total.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

After several hours putting together spreadsheets and summarizing everything, I downloaded and used TaxAct over the weekend. Free for federal, including e-file. I'm quite happy with it. I'd looked at it 3 or 4 years ago and the interface was really lousy. They've improved it a lot since then. Every so often there's a screen asking if you want to upgrade to the $12.95 deluxe version or the $13.95 state version, but I kept saying 'no.'

The free on-line programs are only available if your total adjusted gross income is below a certain amount, which we just missed. However, if your income is below that threshold, that's another option.