Aml 35d

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
I rebuilt this thing a year and a half ago and just got it all back together in Oct. I ran about 12 gallons of 25:1 through it going by the manual for breakin. I don't think it has 20 hours on it. It ran great up to the last time out a couple weeks ago and seemed to sputter at idle quite a bit. I took the plugs out to check them and they were clean. The electrode was black, about like gloss black but the rest of the plug was clean like new. This was both plugs. The first time I checked them after getting it running they were nice and tan. Would running at idle VERY rich for an hour or two have cleaned them off like that( I had the lowspeed screw out 4 1/2 turns for some reason) or do you think I blew a head gasket? I hadn't re torqued the head yet. Thanks.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Aml 35d

I know I should know... but what's an AML35d? It's definitely an engine that I don't have!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't know either. could not find in outboardbooks.com

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That's those crazy military outboards. Seals and Force Recon used them. You can sink them and start them right up again.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Is it what Ezeke says or is it a 1959 35 horse Buccaneer?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

AML35B 1985
AML35BI 1987
AML35C 1990
AML35CI 1991
AML35D 1995 1996

:)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Cool... Where can one get a full listing of those sink and run motors?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That is all the 35HP that I know of. Probably USG printing office for the Service Manuals. Parts are pretty much the 35hp for the years, but they are modified.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I rebuilt this thing a year and a half ago and just got it all back together in Oct. I ran about 12 gallons of 25:1 through it going by the manual for breakin. I don't think it has 20 hours on it. It ran great up to the last time out a couple weeks ago and seemed to sputter at idle quite a bit. I took the plugs out to check them and they were clean. The electrode was black, about like gloss black but the rest of the plug was clean like new. This was both plugs. The first time I checked them after getting it running they were nice and tan. Would running at idle VERY rich for an hour or two have cleaned them off like that( I had the lowspeed screw out 4 1/2 turns for some reason) or do you think I blew a head gasket? I hadn't re torqued the head yet. Thanks.

Could be just fuel fouled; at 4 1/2 turns 25:1 run slow I wouldn't think it would stay tan.You might do a compression check.and maybe retorque and do another compression check.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Crap! I forgot to say 35hp 1992-1995 Johnson. It's funny, I had to get the 95 and 92 shop manuals for 30hp to work on this thing. Thanks, I need to get another compression tester..my old one is right where I put it...wherever that is. Google up "MARS OUTBOARDS" and there is some info. It's a Navy thing...wish I'd never bought it...but have had a lot of fun working on it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Exactly:

United States Marine Corps Weapons & Equipment
Improved Military Amphibious Reconnaissance System (I-MARS)
35 Horsepower Outboard Motor
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
outboard.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Primary function: Outboard motor for the Combat Rubber Reconnaissance Craft.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Length: 23 inches[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Width: 14 inches[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Height: 57 inches[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Weight: 119 pounds[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Petroleum, Oil, and Lubricants: Unleaded gas, 5 gallons per hour; 2 Stroke Outboard Motor Oil, 1/2 quart per hour.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Introductory date: October 1992[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Unit Replacement Cost: $5,400[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Features: The I-MARS 35 Horsepower Outboard Motor is a combination of the 35 horsepower Military Amphibious Reconnaissance System (MARS) outboard motor and a pump jet. The pump jet takes the place of the propeller in order to provide the user with a safer outboard motor. The I-MARS gives the Marine Corps the capability to insert and extract personnel from the shore with the CRRC more safely, and without degrading the overall performance of the old MARS outboard motor or CRRC. The I-MARS can be operated in any environment in which the MARS outboard motor previously has been used.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Inventory: Active, 695; Reserve, 54[/FONT]

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Mine had the pumpjet on it but it was too big for the motorwell of my duckboat. I put a reg lower on it that I had and get probably 7mph more with it. With the pumpjet I could get to wot quicker at about 22mph than with the prop,but I can get almost 30 with the prop. Weeds in the pumpjet were a pain in the roids.

Lincoln Charlie

Recruit

Mine had the pumpjet on it but it was too big for the motorwell of my duckboat. I put a reg lower on it that I had and get probably 7mph more with it. With the pumpjet I could get to wot quicker at about 22mph than with the prop,but I can get almost 30 with the prop. Weeds in the pumpjet were a pain in the roids.

Do you still have this? Would you be willing to sell it with the pump jet?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This post is almost 4 yrs old. Check the Blue Hi-Lited section at the top of this forum.

Lincoln Charlie

Recruit

Understood. I was aware of that. I actually already have an IMARS 35HP with Pump Jet. Which I acquired this summer after contacting someone who made a post about it back in 2003! Sometimes people have these things laying around collecting dust and are eager to learn someone will take it off their hands! But thanks for pointing that out regardless. I appreciate your good intentions.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You can probably send a pm to the original poster and see if he can help you out.