gas cap

JABBO

Seaman Apprentice
I have the original gas tank that came with this boat(plastic). The cap does not look like it is vented(it has a hole underneath but it does not come out the top nor does it have a screw). Could this cause a problem or does it need to be vented?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: gas cap

not knowing what tank you have i could not answer, some caps are vented that way. some you just have to loosen 1/2 turn.

JABBO

Seaman Apprentice

Built in tank? If so, it should have a vent hose and a fuel hose. Some fixtures accomodate both hoses, some boats have two separate fixtures.

More here: http://www.iboats.com/basics/fuel_system_tips.html

This is not a built in tank...just sits in the back by motor. Just wandering because I have something going on with this motor. After i leave it sitting a few days it is really hard to crank. I don't know whether it is losing prime or not getting enough gas or sucking air. When I start to crank it I squezze the bubble about 2 or 3 times before it is tight,then lift the fast idle lever. Then turn on and push choke in for 5 or 6 sec. then try to crank.Sometimes it takes me ten minutes or so of trying then letting the starter cool and then trying again before it will crank. Alot of trouble!!! This does have the oil injection also. Any ideas?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When you push the key in, it allows the pressurized fuel from the bulb that you squeezed to bypass the carburetors and spray into the intake manifold. It does not get the fuel to the firing chamber, only the action of the pistons can do that.

Therefore the procedure in most OMC manuals is to push the key in while cranking, not before.

Attachments

• 1988 Cold Start.JPG
    1988 Cold Start.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 0

JABBO

Seaman Apprentice

Well I've tried that too. I'm going to start with getting my fathers tank and line and see if that makes any difference. If not then I will start on the filter and carbs I guess.

tashasdaddy

what motor? hp,year? what maintanance has been done, how long ago? last time carbs were cleaned, and rebuilt with a kit? last time you checked compression and spark? di it just start doing this? how long have you owned the motor?

JABBO

Seaman Apprentice

what motor? hp,year? what maintanance has been done, how long ago? last time carbs were cleaned, and rebuilt with a kit? last time you checked compression and spark? di it just start doing this? how long have you owned the motor?
1996 Johnson 35hp. 3 cyl.--have not done any main.---got new plugs to put in today---started doing this last year---have owned the boat/motor since last spring---before then it sat up for appr. 2 yrs.---this boat/motor was repoad. and we got a really,really,REALLY good deal on it---16ft. Grumman boat---seems to run pretty good top end just hard to start most of the time.

tashasdaddy

if it sat for 2 years, so now 3years. you need to clean and rebuild the carbs, including the low and high speed jets. replace the impeller. the carbs are clogged up. the impeller is dried out, and will disintergrate. seeing it was a repo i would want the compression readings before spending any more money. post them. here's some more good info:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

JABBO

Seaman Apprentice

Ok...Very good info, but just how much of that do I need to do for the problem I have. I have about spent myself right out of my house and in the doghouse so I am going to have to try to pick which one of these(or two) that will do me the most good and do it. Thanks you for all the help. I know you are going to say with my problem to go ahead and rebuild the carbs. right?

tashasdaddy

you need to rebuild the carbs, for it to run, properly, and replace the impeller, to keep from burning up the power head. these 2 are a must before you put it on the water.,