Alignment/Suspension Question

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone,

I've got a 98' Chevy Cavalier and it pulls slightly to the left, the tire pressure checked out so I took it in for an alignment and they called back and said my front control arms need to be replaced because the bushings are bad. I asked them if they could just replace the bushings but they said that by the time they get them pressed out you're just better off getting brand new control arms. To replace the control arms and do the alignment they said would be around $500 (they said the control arms cost $150 apiece plus $50 to install them).

The car has 115,000 miles on it so I can understand the bushings might be worn out but I checked at my local parts store and they said a control arm with new bushings and ball joint is $100.

Is there any way to check the condition of the bushings right now? The car handles fine and there is no slop in the steering, just that it pulls to the left slightly. Is it hard to replace the control arm? From what I remember when I last had the tires off all it seems you would need to do it unbolt the arm from the body and break the ball joints loose to take it off.

I do all the maintenance I can do myself and I would be willing to attempt this job. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Alignment/Suspension Question

How do the front tires look? If they have even wear i would try a tire rotation
and see if the pulling is still there.A bad tire will cause a pull sometimes.
Most shops will mark up the prices on parts but that is a bit too much.
To check the bushings jack up the car and put a pry bar between the frame and the control arm to see how much play it has..

Coors

Captain

The rubber bushing what you can see of it, will look cracked or torn, when looking straight up, laying on your back.
Otherwise, you can't tell, unless raising it up by the frame, and prying on it; on the alignment machine (make the mech let you down there and show you), you can see it.
And we used to replace them all the time, and never had to replace the arm due to damage.
Time for an honest shop. which are getting rare. Too easy to charge for new parts, and get more flat rate hours anymore.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Having done this very job on Sunday, I can see why they want to go ahead and replace the control arms. It saves them a lot of labor, pressing out, and reinstalling the bushings. Not to mention grinding off, and pressing out the rivets holding the ball joints on the upper control arms. With the lower ones, we decided to go ahead and buy the new control arms, with the bushings preinstalled, to save a lot of time at the shop. Even so, it is a big job, and seeing as dad is the manager of a repair shop, we had access to lifts, and all the specialized tools to do this. It still took both of us together 8 hours to complete it. Now, we weren't working at paid mechanic speed, but the quote for labor alone from most places was 1400. Now, your car is a bit smaller than a 2500 series suburban, but still a bit of a pain to do on jack stands in a garage.

But, check the bushings first. Most of the time, if they are dead, you will have a lot of slop in the steering.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses

The slight pulling to the left has been going on for a while, I've rotated the tires a couple times and the problem hasn't gone away.

I figured the shop was making some money on the parts but I didn't think the bushings were worn out b/c the handling felt fine, but then again it's only a Cavalier so there isn't really a whole lot of handling to begin with lol.

I'm gonna take the tires off this weekend and check everything out with a pry bar. If it is loose I will go ahead and replace the control arms myself.

Bassboy 1 what kind of special tools did you need? The only one I can think of is the tool to break the ball joints loose which I already have. My car has the setup with 1 lower control arm and the strut connects to the steering knuckle to form the upper part (I think this is called a McPherson suspension).

Once I figure out what I am dealing with I'll report back and I'm sure I'll need some more pointers.

Thanks again guys

I agree with the others but To save money maybe take it to another shop for rotation and alignment. If they notice the bushings let them show you what they are talking about. Maybe an alignment will solve it.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

most of the time nowdays you can only get the control arms and most of the time with Fords you have to buy the whole arm just to replace the ball joints. If you can get the bushings seperate they are not that hard to change you will need a BFH and drift and a press or big vice.you may as well do the ball joint too. but when you start adding up the cost of parts its cheaper to just get the arms as it cuts time down alot.
All parts stores when they sell to a shop give some discount. but all have cost and list price on the ticket. one shop I used to work at would add 10-25% onto list price :eek:. in the past when I did a side job parts were cost +25% depending on what and who it was I still do work for family but thats it and only because I have to:rolleyes: heck I even take my wifes car and my truck to get the oil changed.

D

DJ

The best way to service the joints is to buy the arms. It's a dirty and back breaking job to change them, without a 2-way lift (lift up-press down). You have those nasty springs to deal with and they can be deadly.

The bad part about it is once you get in there, you realize the tie rod ends are shot too. More $$$. Plus the strut inserts -shocks) are shot too. Guarenteed.

I can only advise you to do the right thing, but a '98' Cavalier doesn't owe you much.

If the car is perfect, I'd go the arms and have them check (be prepared to buy tie ends/shock inserts too) and keep driving it.

If it was a foreign make, you'd have already paid the bill and be happy as a clam.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The true question is "how long you going to keep it?"........

10 years old and depreciating ......... now may be the time to keep your eyes open and spend the $500 with your older car on something newer....

I agree with DJ.... you are not owed much.

Here is a thought... Is there a Vocational School in your area? Sometimes they will let the students do the work under supevision of a teacher for class. Cheap labor ;)
or
Do it yourself.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Bassboy 1 what kind of special tools did you need? The only one I can think of is the tool to break the ball joints loose which I already have. My car has the setup with 1 lower control arm and the strut connects to the steering knuckle to form the upper part (I think this is called a McPherson suspension).
I don't know exactly what your model needs, but you will need the picklefork, and pneumatic hammer like you mentioned. Also, you will need a spring compressor to safely deal with the coil springs. You can borrow these at Advance. The lift is a big help. I don't know what we would do, if we had to do it at ground level. You will also have to align it when you get done. If you are changing just the bushings, and using the same control arms, a press is a must.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great advice guys, keep it coming :)

I know the car isn't worth much but it has served me exceptionally well and gets great gas mileage so I'm willing to stick some money into it. I do plan on keeping it until something major like the engine or transmission goes out.

A couple summers ago I replaced the clutch and in the process I had to disassemble the front suspension to get the CV joints out so the transmission could come out. This included removing the struts so I'm not worried about doing the labor myself, I have a full set of factory service manuals but a lift would be nice.

I'll take a look at it this weekend and maybe see if somewhere else will align it for me, I think the other shop was looking to make some money but I could be wrong.

dolluper

Captain

Before you go the control arm route make sure the inner t rod isn't the problem,if control arm it's not that of a big deal in fact about 3 hours on stands with smoke and coffee breaks just make sure you support on the sub and completely drop the stabilizer Reg is 1 1/2 hours