Chrysler 55HP Wiring-Help?

bluelightning_7

Recruit
I have a Chrysler 55, model 557HF, Ser. 6286 mounted on a project that I went deeper ($$$) into then planned. Could someone help me with the engine terminal identification as the decal is no longer legible. I am also curious to know the spec. compression and timming. Anyone who can answer this for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bluelightning

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 55HP Wiring-Help?

What? No one answered yet?

Chrysler standardised their wiring on the engine terminal and only the slight difference in connections changed with ignition type:

From the top down
yellow---start
purple or violet---unused or tachometer, depending on engine ignition type
white-- Unused, tach, or ignition stop, depending on ignition type
green---choke
orange---overheat indicator or temp gauge
red---battery and power to ignition switch
blue---ignition power or stop circuit depending on ignition type
black---ground

The cable from the ignition switch connects color to color on the engine terminal and the wires on the original engine wire harness are only long enough to connect to the proper terminal. Note that there are two red wires in the harness because one goes down to the circuit breaker then to the battery connection on hot side of the start solenoid. and the other comes from the rectifier or regulator--whichever you have.

I do not know serial numbers or model numbers. However, if your 55 is twin carb, with either Magna Power or Prestolite ignition, then the blue wire is stop circuit and is jumped to the black ground. White attaches to the CD box and purple is used for the tachometer.
On the ignition switch, white connects to one "M" terminal and the blue attaches to the other "M" terminal.

The same "M" connection is used if your engine is magneto ignition with the exception that blue is not jumped to ground at the engine terminal, rather, brown wires from points connect to blue and white wires.

If your 55 is points and battery ignition, the blue wire connects to the "I" terminal on the ignition switch and provides power through the points to the coils.

Brand new, compression should range between 150-165 PSI. Timing advance should be 32 degrees before TDC at wide open throttle.