71' 25 hp Evinrude No spark on 1

Dlee6204

Recruit
I recently tried starting the motor and it wouldn't start. For the past 20 years it has been stored indoors and I would run it about once a year but for the past few months it has been stored outside. I checked for spark and I got no spark on the top cylinder but I got spark on the bottom one. I checked gaps on the plugs and they were fine, I then made sure the points were properly adjusted and I swapped the condensers and I still have the same problem. How should I go about testing the coils? Is there anything else that can be causing this? Outboards aren't really my fort? so I'm sort of treading in unknown territory. I appreciate any help.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 71' 25 hp Evinrude No spark on 1

If your coils are cracked at all they're probably no good. If you've checked the contact of the wires in the spark plug boots, made sure there's no carbon stuff on the points, then I'd change both of those old coils if they're original. They're only about 18 dollars apiece. Those coils are pretty notorious for going bad after a while. I'm no expert so hopefully someone who really knows outboards will check in and tell you how to use a meter to check 'em, sorry I'm not more knowledgeable on that.
Good luck,
JBJennings

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You are sure you did a good job cleaning those points, right? If not that, check the upper spark plug wire for a tiny pin hole where it is clamped to the mag plate. Arcing through there is a common problem. If not that, then probably coil.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Easiest way to test them is to swap them with a known good one. Or if you happen to have an old ignition tester like a Graham or Stevens you could test them. (Ask FR to borrow his, as many arent old enough to still have one :) ) You could also do a continuity test of the coil windings. Remove the main orange wire from it's connection. Connect the black lead of your ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then touch the red ohm meter lead to the ground of the coil or a good ground without paint on the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed and not on your bench.

Then touch the red lead to the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or to the main stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches. If you dont, check the spring inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire for corrosion, rust, etc....

Dlee6204

Recruit

I went back and I switched coils with one another to test if the coil was bad and for the first crank, I got spark out of both and then only on the bottom once again. So that led me back to the points. I went back and rechecked points and cleaned everything up real well and I finally got spark out of both. I then cleaned the carb, replaced fuel lines, and with some fresh gas, I finally got it running this evening. It was running a little rough but after some fine tuning she should run as good as new. I appreciate all the help!

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

You are sure you did a good job cleaning those points, right? If not that, check the upper spark plug wire for a tiny pin hole where it is clamped to the mag plate. Arcing through there is a common problem. If not that, then probably coil.

hello FR,

i know how to clean a set of auto points... haha, replace them.

seriously, at $150 a set, i plan to clean my outboards. could u go over what u look for? what grit paper to use?

sorta hard to see things... at .010! :rolleyes:

thanks

lakester

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Whenever possible, I take the points apart and clean each contact separately. I use a strip of 400 grit wet-or-dry, backed up with a flat something like a hacksaw blade, using it like a file. Get them shiny bright and remove any ridges etc. It is not necessary to get all the pit out of the center. You will wind up with a slightly convex shape to the contact, which is great.

I haven't looked...are they really $150???

BTW, I sold my old Stevens tester on e-bay.

wbeaton

Commander

Points list for about $18-25 for the 25 hp. What motor do you have, Lakester?

FR, maybe I bought your Steven's!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Really? How's it working?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Where you you looking at those points for $18.00+? You can get the entire Sierra tune-up kit here on i-boats for $16.99, with two sets each of points & condensers! (part number 18-5002)
- Scott

wbeaton

Commander

Where you you looking at those points for $18.00+? You can get the entire Sierra tune-up kit here on i-boats for $16.99, with two sets each of points & condensers! (part number 18-5002)
- Scott

I meant tune-up kit. List price is around $18 for Sierra, but you can get better deals else where.

FR, I don't know if I bought your Steven's. I just happened to get it on eBay. Works great though. Its more of a toy than anything, though it sure is nice to test condensers and see cracked coils spark like crazy!

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

Whenever possible, I take the points apart and clean each contact separately. I use a strip of 400 grit wet-or-dry, backed up with a flat something like a hacksaw blade, using it like a file. Get them shiny bright and remove any ridges etc. It is not necessary to get all the pit out of the center. You will wind up with a slightly convex shape to the contact, which is great.

I haven't looked...are they really $150???

BTW, I sold my old Stevens tester on e-bay.

*** Points list for about $18-25 for the 25 hp. What motor do you have, Lakester?

hello,

sadly, YES! my engine is a 1971 85HP evinrude Starflight and it takes 2 contact point sets. they are listed at the 2 sources i checked for $75.00 each set. :eek:

but before i pay that, i will try to mill old off, get cheaper auto points with contacts and drill n tap small... very small and 'bolt on" to old contact's frame. well, at least in the blueprint room... [rolleyes]

Thanks FR for the tip. :) i will dress my points that way and ck for surface condition, too. i plan to take the distr down to the reverse lock pin, ck it out, dress clean all contacts on rotor and cap, wet the cam wick, add some dielectric grease...

since my dist has only one wire going to the AMP, i am also looking into an upgraded FastRise coil, KV8.5 wires, and removing my current AMP and wiring in an MSD 6A... looks to be a direct 'bolt-on' to me, so far. even the KV's wire diam seems like it will fit the distr caps where plug wires exit distr cap run to plugs. KV8.5s are the finest plug wires i have ever seen. used to sell those sets/kits by the hundreds. no other change, but those wires... and improved dirveability is just a START-up away... :D. and i have a spare new set, 8 wires and only need 4. no guarantees, but... no doubt the RED wires will look sharp on my newly painted engine heads. film at 11:00??

i have a solid background in high peformance ignition systems... and think the engine will run very well with improved components. the igniton seems to be stand alone, conventional 12v CD system, imo, so far as i can see.

do u see any faults with my thinking? :confused: msd uses one white wire to trigger... points or electronic, so that connects to my distr black, the msd uses 2 wires to coil, grounds from 6a box, and one wire is switched 12v. they offer a marine unit for $300, but i have a good 6A... @ -0-.

if i am right... :rolleyes: i will have multi-spark 2500 rpms and down, and above an improved FAT saturated spark dwell at the spark plug. i think this hounddawg is... a... huntin'! i love these systems... my ol van inline 6 fires up in less than one rev of flywheel with its 6A/HEI system. GRINS

regards
lakester :cool:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have been trying to get a Stevens for a couple months now, but it seems the auctions always get up over a hundred bucks. Interesting toy though, and they seem to be dissapearing quicker.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Quote"sadly, YES! my engine is a 1971 85HP evinrude Starflight and it takes 2 contact point sets. they are listed at the 2 sources i checked for $75.00 each set."

Well yes those kind are rather expensive. Actually, I thought they were obsolete. I have one extra set that I am hoarding till.....