Name that tool!

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer
Digging through a large box of mechanic's tools, I'm finding some that I don't recognize. So help me out here folks - what are they and what are they used for?

First we have a handfull of what look like high grade bolts with the heads cut off and the stump rounded a bit. Like studs with only thread on one end. About 3" long. They are homemade tools, that I am sure of.
OddStuds.jpg

Next we have a well made puller of some kind by OTC. About 15" long.
OTCPuller2.jpg

OTCPuller1.jpg

Re: Name that tool!

The first group of bolts look like those used to help line up a transmission to the engine bell housing. You slide the tranny over them to the correct position then back them out one at a time and then replace them with the bolt . I have made and used them before.big help with a one man heavy tranny replacement job.Then second tool is used to tun something like a flywheel maybe.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The second tool is used to adjust the clutch on big diesel trucks, a new one retails for around $45. You put the bolt in the tool into the hole in the pessureplate where the adjuster retainer goes, then use it as a lever against the lugs on the adjuster ring to adjust the clutch-brake to thowout bearing clearance. The cut off bolts are used as guide pins, as fairlaneman says. I always cut a slot in the end of mine so I can use a screwdriver to install and remove them.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I agree with Fairlane,The second tool looks like one i have in my dads old toolbox,never found out for sure what it was used for. Well i know now guy74...Thanks!

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

It's to bad this wasn't posted about 3 days ago :(. We've been fighting a standard 4 speed transmission into place on my father's 1991 Chevy 2500 series. We have the transmission in now though :), after fighting it and cursing it for 1 & 1/2 days :eek:. I can't wait to here that new 350 per. Even though I was helping my father at first he ended up getting the transmission in the wrest of the way by himself after all that.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys! A couple more . . .

These look like pullers or puller parts. Maybe they go to the big truck clutch adjuster, maybe not. Both are a shade under 5" long. The threaded ends of both fit inside a 12mm combo wrench. The shaft by the "T" end of the coarser threaded one is 7/16". The shaft by the "T" end of the finer threaded one is a tad bigger than 7/16".
PullerParts.jpg

Next we have a very heavy punch or driver of some sort. It's 5" long and 1 1/4" in diameter. A sleeve has been welded to it, 2" up from the punching end tip. Looks like it's made to drive something substantial, 2" deep into a 1 1/4" diameter hole. Or not. It was considerable effort to weld that sleeve to it; it ain't for looks!
HomemadeDriver.jpg

guy74

First two are cage bolts for sping parking brakes on air brake systems. They are used to disable the parking brake function so you can move the truck without air pressure. The second tool looks like a anchor pin bushing driver, used with a hammer to remove, and reinstall anchor pin bushings on air brake trucks.

It's to bad this wasn't posted about 3 days ago :(. We've been fighting a standard 4 speed transmission into place on my father's 1991 Chevy 2500 series. We have the transmission in now though :), after fighting it and cursing it for 1 & 1/2 days :eek:. I can't wait to here that new 350 per. Even though I was helping my father at first he ended up getting the transmission in the wrest of the way by himself after all that.
< glade to see him back from "vacation"

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will usually find those cage bolts mounted in a bracket on each air can on the truck,even if the one that you need it for does not have it you will usually find another one on one of the other springbrake chambers on one of the other wheels.It goes without saying that you NEVER remove the clamp on the chamber without caging the spring first.
The reason that the chamber would need to be removed is to change the diaphram to cure an airleak which is a pretty common thing to do after DOT has invited you in for a chat:)) so it is often done on the road so you don't have to call the tow truck.Ron G

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. Big trucks and air brakes explains a lot. There's a lot of (to me) massive wrenches, and a bunch of air line dohickies that I couldn't figure out. I thought they were for spraying paint or something. The former owner was obviously quite talented and over the years he modified or fabricated tools to meet his needs. It's usually pretty obvious what the purpose is - gain access to a weird spot or whatever. But some are curious. Here he added a piece of angle iron to a hacksaw. It's not for ridgidity - the saw is a wellmade Craftsman in good shape. Why weld angle iron to it in this manner? To protect his knuckles in some way?
Hacksaw1.jpg

Hacksaw2.jpg

Next we have some homemade T wrenches with square heads, both male and female. Ther're like drain plug wrenches but with T handles. What for?
TwrenchMale.jpg

TwrenchFemale.jpg

cbac

Cadet

I can't figure out what any of the tools are but I'd bet they are sitting on a cat habitat thing. :p

jimr

the center and bottom tools in the bottom pic looks like a wrench to turn on a oxy/act tank some dont have hand wheels. the others may be to remove square drive plugs in air system. just a guess. We are always making/modifying tools to do weird jobs. We have some neat ones at work for doing different jobs on street sweepers that no one makes tools to do.

flashback

Captain

Enjoyed the show guys..:),, I'm not exactly a collector, but I do have a few laying around that I have no idea what there for..:)

i386

Captain

Wrench actuated miniature log splitter:D or similar spreading device. I noticed all the plug wrenches were painted red at one time. IOW I don't have a clue but I'm very curious about that hack saw.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

A lot of the tools are painted red. It probley just makes them easier to see after you drop them in the dirt or grass. We use orange on the farm for our tools.

As far as a leaking air brake diaphragm, (Locally they refer to them as pancakes) They don't take them apart to fix them anymore. At least not around here. You just go get a new one. I agree it would be cheaper to rebuild them but, more and more, things are just replaced and the old component thrown away. I had one blow out on one of our trucks last summer and that is what the mechanic did. Now that I've seen him do it I think we could replace it ourselves. Which is good because that mechanic said he couldn't make any money at the shop anymore and he quit to go get a factory job.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The T handles look like they would fit a jaw chuck on a lathe..... The extra metal on a hacksaw is so what you are cutting (sheet steel) will separate from the tool and allow you to continue cutting.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you figured out the hacksaw Bob,been scratching my head on that one.I didn't think the frame was set up for a blade,they usually use a wingnut to tighten the hacksaw blade.It makes sense,the most logical solution that I have thought of yet.Ron G

cbac

Cadet

It could be a heat shield on the hacksaw.

woosterken

Lieutenant

I think the T handles are to remove plugs from the bottom of air tanks on semis some of the plugs are male and some are female