2007 90 TLR hard to start

I have a 2007 90HP that is very hard to start in cool or cold weather. It coughs but does not continue to run. If I try to give it any gas, it immediately floods and I have to wait 15 to 20 minutes to try again. This is very frustrating and I suspect it's a problem with the operator, not the motor. Any thoughts?

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2007 90 TLR hard to start

ok, you remember how old cars used to have a choke, which cut off the air so the mix was rich? well this motor has an 'enricher' or 'starter'..that adds fuel instead of cutting the air...you activate this enricher by pushing IN on the key. you do this as you start it...you can push the key IN while running if it's cold and starts to die....push too much and you'll flood it....there is also a manual control under cowling in front of intake box...it's red...make sure you note it's position before and after using or she won't run...you can turn off completely

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

actually that motor should be a prime start model, all the operator has to do is turn the key.
the enricner valve is a heated solinoid and will add fuel until it heats up and the tapered pin extends into the jet closing off the circuit.
you may wish to have the link and sync done again as well as the solinoid tested.
if the throttle shutters are open then it gets lean and coughs.
thats why flooding and coughing seem odd, one is an excessivly lean air fuel mix and the other is an excessivly rich air fuel mix.
but the correct starting procedure is in your owners manual.
make sure the red manual tab is in the auto position not the manual or closed.

All,

Thank you for your responses. Obviously, I need to go back and reread the manual.

The interesting thing about this is with me doing very little, it seems to flood most of the time when I launch on cold days. Once its started and I get where I'm going, I can have the motor off for hours while I troll and it still starts right away.

Overall, very happy with my Yamaha!

Thanks again for the help...

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

What country are you located in?

A third world country known as Louisiana, near the United States and Mexico.

Best speckle trout fishing in the world.:D

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Case, a few more things. What is the complete model number? What oil are you using? What kind of fuel line are you using? What kind of fuel tank? What do the spark plugs look like? What kind of spark plugs? What gap on the plugs?

Answers

90TLR

Yamalube 2-M

Shell 87 Octane

Plugs are brand new NGK B8HS-10 (motor hit 10 hours of use, so I replaced the plugs with exactly what came out)

Gap .035

And for the record, the owners manual that I received with my boat doesn't cover cold starts anywhere, so many thanks to yamamarinetech40 who is spot on, apparently.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

look in your owners manual under starting, if it says its a prime start then the only action required by the operator is simply to prime the carbs with the fuel primer bulb and turn the key, if you cant find it in the owners manual you can remove the engine cover,look at the middle carb on the port side. if it has a funny looking solinoid with 2 wires coming out and a small cover with a red lever its a prime start, if on the stbd side it has a solinoid with a blue and a black wire and a plunger attached to the fwd set of carb linkages its not a prime start and will require the carbs being primed,the warm up lever engaged and the key pushed in while cranking.
non prime start models also have a manual choke pull on the lower stbd front of the engine pan.
if its prime start and you use the warmup lever it most likly wont start or start very hard cold.
if its a non primestart and the warm up lever AND choke are not used it most likly wont start or start very hard.
without the full model number and my tune up spec guide my memory isnt large enough to memorize each engine and whether or not they are prime start.

OK, more data.

Model from the Clamp bracket is: 6H1L

Motor is a prime start

"if its prime start and you use the warm up lever it most likely wont start or start very hard cold." - you are a prophet, this is exactly what happens.

So, the owners manual is generic and includes engines with tillers. All it says about cold starting is that I need to let it idle for 3 minutes before operating the motor, which is BS, because when it's cold, the only way I can keep it running is to put it in gear.

The owners manual makes no mention of any techniques for handling cold weather starting, period.

I have determined, however, the manual is definitely written by someone for whom English is a second language.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the language is called Jinglish, volvo penta uses a variant called swinglish. ya get used to it.
the correct starting procedure for prime start engine regaurdless of air temp is simply turn the key, it either starts or its broke.
if the linkage was not correctly set at the factory(happens) and the PDI people at the selling dealership did not check it(like it says so on the PDI sheet you signed) then its very hard to start.

once running the heater in the thermal valve and the CDI will keep timing advanced and fuel rich keeping the idle speed high, do not shift gears until the idle has stabilized somewhere around 750 RPM(memory is fuzzy again)
that was the whole reason for prime start, all the operator is required to do is simply turn the key.
it works well or its broke, have it looked at while its still a warrenty issue. you did sign a PDI sheet didnt you ?

This is Great! So much information and so many generous people.

I have reviewed what I have so far and it looks like I know very little about these processes.

What is a PDI sheet?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what is a PDI sheet?
from that question you either purchased the motor loose or from an unreputble dealer and is most likly why its not performing correctly.
PDI, Pre Delivery Inspection.
its a simple,legal,document that you,your selling dealerships autherized agent and the selling dealerships technician signed stating the engine hd been properly inspected for linkage adjustments,alrm and oil systems working properly,lower unit and trim working properly with the correct oil levels. all rigging and mounting bolts properly adjusted and secured.
AND tht you have been shown how to properly operate the package.
there is a space for the technician to sign, the dealers agent to sign and YOU.
the PDI is now seriel numbered to fit the engine.
if you bought it loose out of the back door and installed it yourself its yamahas call as to whether you have a warrenty or not.
if you had it mounted at the dealership I would call yamahas consumer number and ask.

I'll go back and look. If it's required, then I am sure that I do. FWIW, this is the first and only new boat that I have purchased, so I'm sure that there are things that I should have done that I didn't.

I bought a new Xpress SV-18-CC in September of 2007 and we did test run the boat on the water prior to purchase. All of the operating procedures were explained to me and the boat had been previously tested (bad trolling motor battery and fuel gauge were detected and replaced). It was in the high 80's during the checkout ride and the boat (motor) did then and always has performed flawlessly in warm weather.

I have a call in to the dealer to discuss this with them, but I honestly though that the problem is my ignorance as to how to handle cold weather starts. I may be mistaken and there may actually be an adjustment of some kind that needs to be performed.

What I do know is that my typical launch of the boat on a ~ 50 degree F day is a 15 to 20 minute excersize and I am more than a little frustrated with that. I also know that I can't be doing my motor any good by coaxing it along until it runs decent (about 2-3 minutes)

Just got off the phone with Yamaha and they tell me something is wrong with the prime start, so it's back to the dealer once we talk to each other.

A thousand thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread.

I'll post once I find out what's happened.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no worries.
while your at the dealership ask to see the technical training certificates on the wall, what your looking for at a minimum is fuel systems and electrical systems certs.
5 star is nice,however its simply a video course ,took me 20 minutes to take and pass my 5 star. my master tech cert took a few days longer.

I would appreciate any information that you can provide me to work this issue. My dealer is crawfishing on fixing the issue telling me that it's the nature of the motor and not to worry about it. My prime start circuit is definately not working, as I also do not experience high idle once the motor starts. It's a warranty issue but I don't think I can take the boat to another dealer.

Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yamaha will honor the warrenty anywhere in the world.
its the individual dealerships that balk. mostly cause they get a bit clueles.
did ya get a chance to look for the technician training certificates on the wall.
if they have none change dealers quick.
if you think they will crawdad on a simple prime start issue that yamaha will pay not only labor involved but diagnostic time and sea trial time. then you had best pray you never have a complex issue.
its why I dont mind doing yamaha warrenty work, they dont try to spank me and they dont balk.
just dont try to BS the field rep or the RTA assighned to your warrenty case.
my flight outta Caracas was canceled this morning, when I get back tomorrow let me look up my notes so I can give specific details.
look on the yamaha website, find a dealership near you with a master tech

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner