Evenrude 50373R bottom fin bent

aregbert

Cadet
I am sure thats not the right name, it is the very bottom below the prop. It looks as if this motor was down and drug around a corner putting a slant to this fin. Will this cause problems in the water? What is a recomended repair? At best my guess is that it is less than an inch off of normal. Thanks:confused:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evenrude 50373R bottom fin bent

Referred to as a "skeg". If you do plan on straightening it, just take your time and do it in gradual increments with a C Clamp if anything. Slowly forming it is ideal,along with light taps form a small oz hammer, but MANY have broken theirs attempting this. Be aware that heating the skeg, also heats everything inside the lower unit including seals. Seals are rubber and will not like the heat. The skeg is also cast aluminum and "hammering" on it is not recommended. If you do some "on water" tests and things appear normal, leave it alone. The skeg is there primarily to kick up the motor should you strike something. If it were twisted, it could affect handling but a bend to one side or the other is not an issue.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you are lucky and it is bent in the right direction, it might even reduce torque steer, allowing you to back off your motor's trim tab a little!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are 100's of thousands, that have a bent skeg, and not effecting preformance.

Mr Bob

Cadet

Nice!! I just boat a boat recently and was aware the skeg was bent, and wondered if I needed to worry about it.

I was prepared to attempt a heat and bend, but as stated it could cause other problems with seals, that was my concern so I decided to run it first.

I took the boat out the other day and it handled like a charm went straight as an arrow with out holding the wheel.
The search function works great here ;)

wadman

Cadet

yea mine is bent and suffer no adverse steering at all.I would leave it alone.