Need advice on killswitches.

HyperFox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Safety is always at the forefront of my mind. This past weekend while working on the wiring, I noticed my boat doesn't have any sort of kill switch. I don't want my boat screaming into some beach this summer if I get bumped off at cruising speed!

So Ive determined I'd like to rig up something that will electrically shut down the engine if its removed. A lanyard type of kill switch, but I need advice on how to wire this so the engine will shut off it removed, or if there is a commercially available device for older boats like mine.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need advice on killswitches.

All the big guys like West Marine and iboats sell them. Not too expensive and they wire in series with the engine stop circuit of the ignition switch. Very simple requiring only 2 wires. How they are wired specifically depends on the engine and type of stop circuit, but I'll bet they come with instructions. If not your local engine seller's repair department should be able to tell you, Or ask right here on the specific engine repair forum. At any rate, you are looking at a 1/2 hour job with simple hand tools and if your control box does not have a covered hole for the switch, then you need to drill a convenient hole.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Two stroke engines need a kill switch that is "normally open". That means the switch is open with the lanyard in place. When pulled, the switch contacts close, thus shorting the ignition to ground killing the engine. I/Os for example, need a switch that is normally closed when the lanyard is in place. This allows battery ignition systems to function normally. When the lanyard is pulled the circuit is opened thus killing the engine.

HyperFox

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow. Thanks guys.. I had no idea how cheap theses actually are.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hyper, My '98 Johnny has a kill switch built into the ignition key. You clip a universal kill switch clip to the protruding part of the ignition switch, and when it is pulled, it mechanically turns the key off. Best of all, you do not need to use it if you do not want to. if you have an OMC outboard, you might check to see if you have this kind of switch (dashboard mounted). If not, you could buy an OMC switch and replace your current switch.

I really think a kill switch is only useful on performance hulls. I have never come close to being tossed out of my 21' bowrider.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Being tossed out of a boat is only one of many scenarios that requires use of the kill switch lanyard. A medical emergency and being run over by another boat are just two that I have seen. Even small tiller engines have a kill switch.