How to ID a genuine merc gimbal bearing?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Received a transom seal kit that is suppose to be all genuine merc parts. It was an assortment of bags, and loose parts. Some of the bags are clearly marked with merc part numbers. They sent the wrong u-joint belows which will have to be exchanged. The bearing came in a plain white box and has no numbering at all on it. I believe I remember seeing numbering on mine when I inspected after removing drive for winter. Could someone confirm that merc bearing should have it? While I suspect that they have used different bearing companies over the years, it would seem odd that they would not have any numbers to id it.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to ID a genuine merc gimbal bearing?

Ayuh,......

Considering that Mercruiser Doesn't make their Own bearings,.....
I don't know How you could tell.....

I do find it Odd that there's No #s stamped somewhere On the bearing.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What was the PN of that kit John?
I don't ever recall seeing any PN's or identification marks on any Merc gimbal bearings. But it's also not unheard of to get unmarked items in Merc kits either.

John_S

Rear Admiral

It was suppose to be: 30-803099T1, but with an exhaust tube instead of bellows. I am use to seeing some numbering on the side of bearing races. I could not find any numbers, anywhere on the bearing!

Here is a pic of one from a Merc: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/showSpecialPicture.asp?pn=60794A4

PS: No mfg id marks, such as FKI, no marks, no numbers, just a plain jane gimbal bearing.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Are you just worried that its maby not the right bearing? If it is the right bearing and its a plain jane bearing do you really care?

John_S

Rear Admiral

"Are you just worried that its maby not the right bearing? If it is the right bearing and its a plain jane bearing do you really care?"

It looks to be the right bearing to fit. I just want to make sure it is at least upto merc quality, since that is what was paid for. All bearings are not created equal. Hopefully it is not a chinese knock-off!

DHPMARINE

Captain

Probably it is time to say what you ordered and from whom.

Sounds like it wasn't a Mercruiser Dealer.And that's why you have questions?

DHP

enn858

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have just purchased a original Mercruiser Gimbal Bearing - it coems in a white box - but with the number stamped on the box.

I know it is original as i got it from the Mercruiser importer here in Denmark

To my knowledge most newer mercruiser drives (Alpha + Bravo) uses the same gimbal bearing

JustJason

Vice Admiral

if your thinking it's a knockoff than it probably is. if the race doesn't have a manufact's stamp then its china.