Oil and Filter

gvarney13

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning,

Does anyone know what other oil filters I can use besides Merc? Also what is the best oil to run, is synthetic OK?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil and Filter

If you aren't going to use what the manufacturer suggested, use whatever you want. EVERY brand (Oil and Filter) has been used and recommended by someone, sometime.
It's like asking what the best car is. Everyone has an opinion, and all are different.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a good article in this months edition of GoBoating Magazine regarding this issue. Here is an excert........

"I would be interested in knowing if the author uses OEM oils in his car or truck, or does he use aftermarket oil such as Penzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc.? Aftermarket oils have been widely accepted for years in the automotive industry and in many cases are considered superior to OEM, but they have been held back in the marine industry by misinformed recommendations from a handful of industry professionals."

Jim Self
Product & Marketing Manager Mallory Marine Products

I say use whatever you are comfortable with. As long as it meets the NMMA certification criteria any FC-W rated oil should do.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Well said Jim.Specs are specs,and if they are met .... they meet.

One reason I reccomend OEM oil and filters is because most boat owners only do one or two changes a year.So aftermarket doesn't save a whole lot of money for them.But we do have to keep the Dealer's door open.Lots of parts just are not available aftermarket.

Second reason would be if Mercruiser (and other OEM's) aren't selling the easy stuff (oil,filters,sparkplugs,etc.) the price of the parts we can only buy from them is going higher and higher,because they need profit like any other business.

That said,when a customer needs a starter,alternator or big item like a drive,I will go aftermarket for him if I know a qualilty source.Which I feel is being two-faced,but in alot of cases boating has to be kept affordable for my customers.Or they won't be boating.And I won't be working.

DHP

D

DJ

"I would be interested in knowing if the author uses OEM oils in his car or truck, or does he use aftermarket oil such as Penzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc.? Aftermarket oils have been widely accepted for years in the automotive industry and in many cases are considered superior to OEM, but they have been held back in the marine industry by misinformed recommendations from a handful of industry professionals."

Jim Self
Product & Marketing Manager Mallory Marine Products

What do you expect him to say? He works for a direct competitor of the OEM's.

As long as it meets the NMMA certification criteria any FC-W rated oil should do.

Not many auto oils meet FC-W.

I use OEM whenever I can get it. That includes my cars and trucks. The falacy that dealers are overpriced, is just that-falacy. Shop around.

How often is the oil and filter changed? Twice a year-maybe? Why risk it?

Don S

There is also a lot of good information on the how's and why's of the NMMA certification of FC-W at the link below.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/fc-w.asp

One other thing, the new FC-W rating is NEW!!!! It's only about 3 years old.
It's time to face facts, the marine engine is different from an auto engine.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

One other thing, the new FC-W rating is NEW!!!! It's only about 3 years old. It's time to face facts, the marine engine is different from an auto engine.

I think the issue is possibly that years ago there were some reasonable automotive options for marine engines, but as time goes on the two lines are diverging more and more as things are specifically engineered and computerized for high performance marine applications.

Maybe that should be obvious, but every time one of these questions comes up, there is new information like what Don just posted to indicate yet another nail on the automotive cross-usage coffin

M

Robj

Lieutenant

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree on this one. Those specs are aimed at outboard 4 strokes, not inboards. I am not familiar with outboard 4 strokes because all the ones that I own are 2 strokes. My comments are for this forum, which is with inboard/outboard or inboards. With an inboard, it is very similiar to an automotive engine, and some are just that, modified automotive engines. The main difference is the marine duty cycle. I do, and will continue to do so, run a good quality synthetic such as Mobil 1. Are you going to tell me that this oil is not suitable because it does not have that rating, and that I should be using GULF PRIDE4004, SAE 10W40 instead, because it has this rating? Mobil 1 is one of the best synthetics out there. My main consideration is to use a highest quality oil in my engine, with regular oil changes.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...... I Agree with you Rob,....... 100%.......

On My boats there's Mobil 1, 15W-50 oil,+ Napa Gold Filters.......

Don S

I think if you should look at those specs again Rob, you will find they are for both IO and OB.
You will find the 25W40 oils are for the IO's and the 10W40 oils are usually used in the outboards. The Verado being the exception to the general rule.
Plus, here is the 2005 service bulletin from Mercruiser.

NEWMercOilRecommendations.png

NewMercOilChart.png

Don S

Ayuh,...... I Agree with you Rob,....... 100%.......

On My boats there's Mobil 1, 15W-50 oil,+ Napa Gold Filters.......

Like I said right from the start.

If you aren't going to use what the manufacturer suggested, use whatever you want. EVERY brand (Oil and Filter) has been used and recommended by someone, sometime.

Robj

Lieutenant

This is the first section from that link above "With the widespread introduction of the four-stroke outboard engine technology, NMMA considered", they do mention "marine engine" in the last paragraph. OK so that may include inboards, but I still think it is aimed specifically at outboards. I also should have mentioned in my previous post to use the correct viscosity, as stated in your service bulletin, but other than that, I still stand behind what I said.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....... You're Quicker than I am Rob,.....
With the widespread introduction of the four-stroke outboard engine technology, NMMA considered it necessary to develop a marine engine oil category specifically for marine four-stroke engines. With all of the major outboard engine manufacturers producing four-stroke outboards to further reduce emissions and increase fuel economy, the need for oil specifically designed for the unique marine environment became necessary.

The intent,+ meaning of the statement is Clearly angled to four-stroke outboards ..........
Which have little in common with four-stroke Inboards,+ I/Os running converted Automotive engines......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

...And to further add to the confusion...there is Mercru recommending their 25-40, either syn blend or regular...and Volvo, using the same GM blocks, recommending syn 30, so it's no wonder that sometimes people question what they recommend. I would love to see tests of the FC-W oils in I/Os vs conventional oils (straight 30 or 40, since have been also recommended by Mercru) to see what benefits there actually are. If there really is a clear advantage, I would have no problem paying a little more for the Merc 25-40 to use in my old OMC. I'm still using Chevron Delo 400 30 weight and have never had any problems with it.

Don S

I'm still using Chevron Delo 400 30 weight and have never had any problems with it.

That is what I used also (When I had an I/O) . But that brings us right back to the same thing I said at the start of this thread.

"If you aren't going to use what the manufacturer suggested, use whatever you want. EVERY brand (Oil and Filter) has been used and recommended by someone, sometime."

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

oil is oil LOL. just make sure you have oil in your engine.