aluminum fuel tanks

kuklablue

Recruit
What is the best procedure when installing replacement aluminum fuel tanks in a fiberglass boat?

Should the tanks be coated with a preservative?
Should they be fiberglassed or left bare?
What about future oxidation preventative?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: aluminum fuel tanks

follow the manufacturers directions, allowing recommended space around tank. left bare, straped in.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yup, what he said. Particularly important is air circulation around the tank. Back in the 70's and 80's a lot of manufacturers put 'em directly on top of the stringers (or against wooden supports) and the tanks would spring leaks because the contact area would stay damp and eventually cause the aluminium to corrode.
These days, I understand a synthetic material (like Starboard) is recommended under the tanks.

As far as your other questions, fiberglassing and/or foaming them in place is not recommended (for the reason stated above). Just leave the exterior alone. However, some builders offer an epoxy coating for the inside. SP Sheet Metal has a good website and also a link on how to install aluminium tanks. Google them as SP tanks. Good luck.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I intend to have my replacement tank "powder coated". Should long out last the boat ... ;)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I intend to have my replacement tank "powder coated". Should long out last the boat ... ;)

Not really a good idea. One small crack or chip in the powder coating and the water gets in between the coating and the tank and it can't get out.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Kukla, If you use the boat in fresh water, the aluminum tank can be installed pretty much anyway, that allows any water to drain from under the tank. The airspace requirement is not important. If you boat in salt water, the alunimum tank will last a long time 20+ years, as long as the tank has drainage for accumulated water.

Why not buy a plastic tank? They are cheaper, have less condensation and last forever.

tommays

Admiral

1. MOST of the bad rap on Alu tanks is from when they were going cheep and useing .090 material VS the now standard of .125

2. Most of the other problems are from bad factory installs that allowed the tank to get wet and stay wet

Working with tanks every that hold flammable materials we HATE plastic tanks ,there hard to bond and DO build up static charges

And i can assure you that plastic tanks have there own issues just different ones ;) there is whole thing going on right now about controling vapor Permeation

This does not make them BAD but not every one makes a good one

Tommays