4hp Seahorse, repairs and parts in UK

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I know you lot out there know what your talking about so here goes.

I have a 4hp Johnson seahorse, twin cylinder. Model no. 4BRL-79D (the "L" looks hand scratched in, dont know what it means but its not longshaft.)

I got it in the summer, and it ran ok in a tank. I transported it to a boat, then it wouldnt work, only at low revs or it dies. I gave up becuase I only had a week and used my other outboard. Since then its been left in my shed. I got it out today and tried it, no luck, didnt even spark. Now, what I want to know is this.

How do I test the coils to make sure they are working.
How do I test the condenser to make sure they are working.
Where can I get new coils, new condensers, new points, new impeller, new gaskets, new head bolts etc, IN THE UK ONLINE.
Is there any place I can go online with exploded diagrams of this engine, I have looked but I don't know where!
Any other info about this outboard if available.

Thanks, Ally

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4hp Seahorse, repairs

Year aswell please, I can't seem to find it!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ally, i'm going to venture a guess, that it is a 1979, the US # 4R79. the "B" indicating it was belgium built, european. here's a link to the reprint of the original Service Manual. delete the " " and copy and paste into browers.

"http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1979&ID=61212"

here's engine diagrams, follow prompts to you more.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/?popup=true

D

DJ

When it worked did it have a kill switch lanyard attached?​

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks tashasdaddy, ill use those, I think I went on one of those before but obviously used the wrong model no. Thanks
DJ, no it does not have one, as we now know, its the 4R79, to turn it off, I beleive you turn the throttle right down.

tashasdaddy

if the coils look like these they are shot.
boatmotor001.jpg

you will also need a flywheel puller, in the US we use a Harmonic Balancer puller, you need #8 harden bolts, as standard bolt will strip of in the flywell.
this is the item to pull the flywheel.

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

i just gave you bad info on the coils, i was thinking 69 instead of 79. you have a power pack and coils.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi, flywheel is off. Coils look ok, all in one piece and shiny but the metal bars that go around them are rusty. everything is rusty. and points, although got white stuff on them look ok but will replace anyway. Is there a way to test coils with multimeter.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone got any answers to my original questions on where to get stuff in UK?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Coils - Continuity Test))
(J. Reeves)

Check the continuity of the ignition coils. Remove the primary orange wire from whatever it's connected to. It may be connected to a powerpack screw type terminal, a rubber plug connector, or it may simply plug onto a small boss terminal of the coil itself.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground of the coil or the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or if it's not attached, touch the primary stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire. Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for s/plug fouling.

tashasdaddy

Ally, i edited your title to include the parts in UK, as we have other UK members that may see it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4hp Seahorse, repairs and parts in UK

Other than ebay.co.uk, check out these online stores, based out of the UK

seagullparts.co.uk
billhigham.co.uk

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Anyone got any answers to my original questions on where to get stuff in UK?

"WWW.willsmarine.co.uk" In Devon have given good service to users of the ybw.com forums.
Other possibilities are

"WWW.outboards-direct.co.uk" aka Oakley Marine in Brighton

"WWW.outboardservices.co.uk" in Falmouth

I reckon if you have no spark at either plug it will be the powerpack. Its unlikely that both HT coils will have gone but FIRST OF ALL check that the stop switch is not shorting out. That's a very likely possibility.
Not impossible but unlikely to be anything under the flywheel. A '79 model does not have points or condenser. A '76 or earlier does though!

Look at the parts diagram at "http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e" to identify all the parts.

I dont remember seeing a request for info about UK parts supliers on the Reader to Reader forum at YBW.com. Better place to ask for UK specific info IMHO. Sorry if I missed it

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Other "No Spark" testing for you.

"http://www.boatpartstore.com/page32.asp"

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I've re-read the thread. I see you say the points are OK. So its got points! So its not a CD ignition system so it cannot be a '79 unless the BRP parts lists are wrong. If they are wrong we are all stuffed.
You may have misread the number but I don't think so. It's worth checking with a magnifier though.

I assume you are reading the number on a plate on the bracket. It's possible it not the original bracket. The trouble is you'll need to correctly ID the year before ordering spares. There may be a number stamped on a core plug on the cylinder block.

You should be able to clean the points up satisfactorily unless they are very badly pitted. You can check the coil continuities with a multimeter on ohms but you really need a high voltage tester to check the insulation resistance. You still cannot test for shorted turns though.
You can only really check condensers by substitution.

If you posted some photos maybe someone will be able to give some idea of the real year.

tashasdaddy

pictures: you can up load to a free service like photobucket.com then you choose the pictures you want( clik the little box at the bottom left of the picture) scrool to the bottom of the page, clik generate html, it will take you to the next page, scroll down to thumb nails clik on that and copy, then insert it into your post.

also if you are planing on posting pictures, you can use the Blue post reply or the go advanced, manage attachments, there you can upload , directly from your computer. besure you pictures have been resized to fit the format. 640x480 max.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the info I took the coild and points off today, cleaned everything up, put copperease on all the contacts (not the points, although they are shiny now:D) It sparks on both cylinders with a big blue spark! I am very satisfied.

As to other parts, I realised now, that i need a few recoil parts e.g new spring and flywheel nut. I contacted Higham Marine as said above, and they have it all!
Only one more horror to face now, the coiling up of those darn springs.
As Vic.S said, there may be an error. I noticed that too on the BRP parts catalogue. My model no is BRL 79D. We established the B stands for Belgium, so the model is the US, 4R79. But it has points, twin cylinder.
I cant take pictures at the moment as camera is broken.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry, model is US, 4RL79D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

a '79 with points? that's weird? Maybe they hung onto the points longer in Europe although usually they're ahead of north america? huh.