Spark Plug Torque 1949 5 hp Gale Motor

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1948 Goodyear Sea Bee 5 hp model 025-3564 motor. I have been using the spark plug torque from a 1948 Johnson factory manual which is 20 ft-lbs. I know the Gale motors are different and I am wondering if anyone has a Gale manual which lists the spark plug torque for this motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spark Plug Torque 1949 5 hp Gale Motor

I don't think I ever torqued a spark plug, Bruce. I always used a fresh crush gasket, finger tight plus 1/4 turn; or finger tight plus 1/8 turn with a used gasket or the taper fit (no gasket).

That may not be "the" way to do it but I have never stripped a hole or blown out a plug.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always torque all my spark plugs, car, boat lawn mower etc. It is the only fool proof method. I have already torqued these plugs to 20 ft-lbs and I am just trying to find someone with an old Gale manual.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Your 48 Sea Bee is a kissin cousin to Johnsons/Evinrudes and other Gale's of the same year...so you should be alright using J-son torque specs. Just inspect the threads in the bore and plug before you do the torque routine, especially if you don't know the history/care/maintenance of the motor you are working on.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think I ever torqued a spark plug, Bruce. I always used a fresh crush gasket, finger tight plus 1/4 turn; or finger tight plus 1/8 turn with a used gasket or the taper fit (no gasket).

That may not be "the" way to do it but I have never stripped a hole or blown out a plug.

hello,

every ' mechanic ' has his way, idea, or thots on any particular engine subject... and generally, no 2 are the same. :) some are right, others are not.

while many mechanics only tighten a spark plug a good amount once at the washer crush point, [with washer] actually there is a reason to torque a spark plug.

the spark plug generally is torqued to about 20 - 22 ft lbs. most will be 19-20. this sets the plug very tight to the head for proper heat transfer and soak. the subject is complex and u can get some idea from a plug co:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/installation.asp

i always add some anti-seize to plug theads before install.

it is a good idea to ck the torque on spark plugs prior to each outing to ensure that the plug is properly tight!

regards,

lakester :cool:

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

Your 48 Sea Bee is a kissin cousin to Johnsons/Evinrudes and other Gale's of the same year...so you should be alright using J-son torque specs. Just inspect the threads in the bore and plug before you do the torque routine, especially if you don't know the history/care/maintenance of the motor you are working on.

hello,

imo, you can torque a plug to 15-17 ft lbs all day long with no prob, so long as the head threads are of a typical length... 3/4 " + / -... or so. another good idea is to clean up those threads. there are plug hole cleaning taps out there. 13mm, 14mm... etc.

for a head installed, keep some grease in the tap's flutes. light and up n down. then turn the tap a turn and remove. clean, grease, then 2 turns and remove. well, u get the idea. do it all the way down. this will let whatever u 'cut' from threads to remain on the tap's threads n flutes. generally, just some light carbon, dirt, etc. maybe a trace of metal. std stuff. then with a shop vac ready, i put some laquer thinner on a Q-tip and i soak the threads wet. then turn on vac, and it will really clean the threads nice. then i air blow some the threads and dont think twice about it. :D

air blow plug area with plug in hole first...

just one wrench twister's techniques. :)

regards,

lakester :cool:

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am a firm believer in using a torque wrench for spark plug installation. I know how important it can be. It is also important to only install spark plugs in a cold engine. Everyone should own a torque wrench. Doing it any other way is nothing more than an educated guess.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have a 57 Gale service manual covering all models 46-57.All are listed at 240-246 in. lbs. 20-20 1/2 ft lbs.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone for all the good information.