long stringers

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How is everybody dealing with stringers over 8' ? I have a couple over 16' and 14" at the widest. for strength I was going to build these up from three layers of 1/4" ply alternating grains , overlapping joints and peanut buttering the whole shebang.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: long stringers

either that or 1/2 lap joints 4 feet. no need to alternate grains, if you are cutting the 8 ft length, as that is the strong direction of plywood.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks, Just figured alternating grains through the build up continues the structure of the ply. Guess I've three choices for glueing, peanut butter , resin by itself and waterproof polyurethane glue.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually for glueing the wood, Elmers waterproof wood glue, is more than enough, to take the joint apart the wood tears up. then encase in glass. you can get it at HD and Lowes, also in quarts & gallons.

"http://doitbest.com/Wood+glue-Elmer's+Prod.-model-E740-doitbest-sku-339155.dib"

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I did exactly that with my last two Starcraft rebuilds. I butt-jointed the alternating layers every four feet. I then dished the joint a bit with a belt-sander about 3-inches either side and built it up with fiberglass cloth and woven roving. As a test case, I laid an 8-inch wide section on my porch steps with the joint in mid-air, then stood on it. It didn't break. When I jumped on it, it broke - in another area of the plywood, so it was literally stronger than the plywood...
- Scott