Snow-ice weight collapsed my cover post!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Snow-ice weight collapsed my cover post!

I have been using a PVC structure for my bass boat for 2 years. I have little invested and snow slides right off. I use two tarps to cover it and it stays tight.

DSCN0093.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

malfar

Seaman Apprentice

To the poster who went into his portable garage and knocked the snow/ice off from inside - that is a no/no. We recently had a 20 year old girl who died when the garage collapsed when she was trying to do the same thing. Snow/ice is amazinly heavy when you are buried under it, and when there is cloth between you and the snow it is impossible to dig your way out. Her mother was onsite but couldn't get her dug out before she suffocated. A guy was killed last winter at a job site in Quebec in a similar accident

whywhyzed

Banned

To the poster who went into his portable garage and knocked the snow/ice off from inside - that is a no/no. We recently had a 20 year old girl who died when the garage collapsed when she was trying to do the same thing. Snow/ice is amazinly heavy when you are buried under it, and when there is cloth between you and the snow it is impossible to dig your way out. Her mother was onsite but couldn't get her dug out before she suffocated. A guy was killed last winter at a job site in Quebec in a similar accident

Hey thanks for that info. I guess you either do it regularly, or not at all. I'll stay out of there if it builds up again. That would be horrible with the plastic preventing any digging.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I actually considered one of those from Shelter Logic, but if you check the specs they are not rated for snow loads, so I figured it'd be a constant worry if it was going to collaspe or not, even though we don't get feet of snow, last year we had 2 bad ice storms that did a lot of damage. I'd rather put time into building a really good strong frame under the storage cover that fits the boat well. You still have to (or should) brush the snow off but there is no safety risk to you.