Merc 2bbl & Manifold

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have new 5.7L longblock with original Merc 2bbl & cast manifold. Been having issues with the acceleration from idle since installing the motor 30 hours ago. Motor runs good although plugs are blacker than they should be; (all plugs look identical.) Compression check is between 165 and 174 with most cylinders being right at 170. Vacuum gauge connected to the upper plenum on the intake near #8 cylinder jumps around a little bit at idle and at revs. Had a vacuum leak on the EGR block off plate that I believe I fixed a while back.

Knew the carb was "dirty" besides the fact that the gas down here is terrible. Add to that the spring was on the wrong side of the screen filter so that the filter was doing nothing. Carb sat for three weeks while I was out of town with the float bowl empty. Pulled all the fuel lines and reinstalled since i was having a problem with leakdown and priming and that solved that issue. Unfortunately, shortly after the motor started, fuel started pumping through the overflow into the horn. Shut it down, rapped lightly on the float bowl with the plastic part of a screwdriver and that fixed it good. Now the motor was running out of gas even at idle. Good excuse to rebuild the carb since I had a GLM kit for that carb lying around. Although I hate rebuilding carbs due to the fact that clean in my garage is not the same as clean in a rebuilding shop. Regardless, I've always been pretty successful at it.

First off, the carb in the diagram from the kit matches my Merc manual exactly. Also, my carb looks just like the exploded view of the two except that my carb is a two piece but both the manual and kit instruction sheet show a three piece where the throttle body separates from the float bowl assembly.

Which carb do I have then since it's obviously not what should have come on a 97 motor?

Another funny one is that the instruction sheet shows the filter going into the carb before the spring which is how it was assembled before. The manual shows the spring first, then the filter which is how it needs to be assembled for gas to be forced through the filter.

Rebuilt the carb; it was pretty gummed up inside along with the bowl being full of sediment. Put the carb back on the motor and it fired right up and sounded good. Attempted to get the idle speed setting close using a tach and vacuum gauge before putting the boat in the water for final settings and still have the same issues as before. Hitting the gas from idle even being nice to the throttle and the engine stumbles before bringing the revs up. Once revs come up, it runs smooth. Old accelerator pump looked new, replaced it anyways with the new one. Get a good stream of gas down both sides of the carb when hitting the throttle.

Another thing is that running the idle mixture screw in or out has little effect until it's practically all the way in or all the way out. Also, while I'm monkeying around with idle / mixture, the motor will be running smooth. I step back for 30 seconds or so and it will start running terrible and/or stall. It's like any change that's made takes a while to be felt. Never had a motor act like this before.

Have to believe I've narrowed it down to a vacuum leak, but I can't get a set of intake manifold gaskets nor carb to manifold gasket down here to try replacing. Sprayed carb cleaner around the edges of the intake manifold, base of the carb, around the EGR block off and don't hear any change in the engine. (That's how I found the original EGR leak.)

I have been thinking about just replacing the intake and carb for a 4bbl anyways, maybe that's the easy way out.

Anybody have any ideas besides setting the idle at 1k and practicing my docking at high speeds?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc 2bbl & Manifold

Rebuilt the carb; it was pretty gummed up inside along with the bowl being full of sediment.

Did you soak the carb in carb cleaner and blow the passages out with compressed air? If not, it may still be plugged up.
Do you have a new base gasket between the carb and manifold? They are NOT reusable. Even if they look good.

Not sure what you mean by a 2 piece or 3 piece carb.
Can you take some pictures?

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a shot from the 823225 manual. The exploded view of the instruction sheet shows the same thing. There are supposed to be three screws holding the throttle plate assembly to the float bowl assembly, but mine is one solid piece.

Attachments

• merc 2bbl.jpg
    merc 2bbl.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Dry compressed air is the only way to clean a carb properly. Also check that the accel pump arm link is in the right hole. I think they have 3 holes, it needs to be in the one closest to the pump (richest).

Sounds like a 4 bbl conversion is a good idea. If nothing else it will give you 30 horses more at the top end. Just make sure you get a marine carb, not a standard automotive.

Chris..........

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Soaked the carb in carb cleaner, then blew through everything with carb cleaner. Then used pc can of air.

Have another post here about using an AFB marine carb and aluminum intake along with finding brackets, linkage and fuel lines, etc.

Don S

You probably just have a newer carb, They do get replaced ya know.
The newer ones don't have the lower section. but they still look the same.

When you took it apart, did you also remove the venturi cluster, and remove the spring retainer, remove the spring and check ball and blow out the passage? That check ball is for the accelerator pump.

See page 5B-16 of your manual, it's the drawing in the upper right on that page. Drawing # 72407

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don, that's one of the questions I was asking. Didn't know if it was a newer or older carb. Sure doesn't look newer.

Didn't pull the spring retainer as it didn't want to come out even with a lot of messing. Blew a lot of carb cleaner in there and afterwards, canned air. I have a good stream of gas from the accelerator pump. Even moved the linkage from the center hole (-.5cc) to the closest hole (full pump). Didn't change anything.

I know better than to reuse the carb to manifold gasket, I've even mentioned that to others in other threads, but I can't find that gasket. When I put the engine together, I wound up buying a whole rebuild kit just to get the gasket. Hence having a rebuild kit lying around and now I don't have the manifold gasket. I cut a new one out of N8092 Interface gasket material and just tried that out. Not sure, but now it seems worse. Too dark to muck around anymore for the evening.

Don S

Merc sells that gasket seperate, PN 27-807982-1 costs about $2.80.

You need to pull that retainer out and get the crap out of there, then it might work.
Use an awl with a very sharp point to pry the retainer out. Don't damage the gasket surface around the hole when you pry it up, it's not that hard to do.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, pulled the carb again and got the ball/spring/retainer out. Wouldn't budge with needle nose, but an awl popped it right out. (Thanks Don.) My issue this time was the base gasket that I made. It must not have been thick enough because I could see on the gasket surface where it was leaking near the back of the carb. I cut another one out of slightly thicker material and no dice. Pulled the carb again and put the two together and all my vacuum issues are gone. Idle mixture screw actually did something and seems to run best at a little more than four turns off seat.

Now I'm back to the original issue which although seems a lot better, still isn't right. Motor stumbles a little on acceleration from idle. I'm going to put the boat in the water today and see if I can't tune the carb better and then we'll see how bad the stumble is. Funny thing is that with the base timing (with TB V in base timing mode) at 8 degrees, I get the stumble. If I run base timing up to 12 - 14 the stumble goes away, but I'll wind up with too much advance at higher R's then.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I believe the base timing on your engine should be 10 degrees BTDC.

Did you reset the the idle speed after adj the mixture? (need to be in base timing mode for both)

There are three holes in the accelerator pump arm. Which one is your linkage set to?

Are you saying you are running without a carb base gasket? If so, stop and order the correct part.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ignition timing on the flame arrestor cover says 10?. All the manuals now say 8 ?. Changing up to 10 doesn't really do anything. It's when I get up to 12 - 14 is when the engine comes off idle.

Yes, I set the idle mixture, then brought the idle speed up to about 800 which will give me about 700 in the water in gear. (Like I said, I'm not in the water yet so I'm trying to get everything close.)

I'm now in the hole closest to the accelerator pump shaft (richest.) I was in the middle hole.

Like I said earlier, I am using two carb/manifold gaskets that I cut out of N8092 gasket material. It'll cost me about $50 to order the gasket by itself by the time I add shipping and duty. Gonna use that money towards an AFB & manifold shortly instead of wasting it on shipping.

John_S

Rear Admiral

"All the manuals now say 8 ?"

What manuals? My Merc Service Manual #17 says 10 degrees for T5 non-vortec. Just re-checked.

Idle speed for T5 in neutral should be 650 rpms.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

What manuals? My Merc Service Manual #17 says 10 degrees for T5 non-vortec. Just re-checked.

Idle speed for T5 in neutral should be 650 rpms.

My Merc Manual 90-823225-1 states that all the motors 5.7, 5.0, Ski, MIE should all be at 8? Now that I check, these are on the curve charts for the IV. There is nothing stated anywhere that I can find for the V.

Regardless, if I remember correctly, when I set the motor up, I couldn't get it to run worth a damn at 8 and set it at 10 which still wasn't as good as it should have been. I'm pretty sure my paint mark on the balancer is at 10. Time to get the timing light out and check again.

Don S

There was a change to the Service manual John, all engines from 93 to 97 including the Gen + engines are now 8? BTDC. The change was done mail outs to dealers and the specs were just pasted into the manuals.

95yj, did you resoak your carb and blow out passages and then use new gaskets to reassemble the carb? If not, you probably still have a screwed up carb by trying to reuse old gaskets.
You also may also have one of those carbs that will just not work. We call them junk and install the proper carb.

Don S

I'm pretty sure my paint mark on the balancer is at 10

The GROOVE in the balancer is TDC (aka 0?)

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

The GROOVE in the balancer is TDC (aka 0?)

Yea, but before put the balancer on, I taped it off at 8, possibly 10 and painted a stripe there. (Can't see the numbers/markings in the strobe unless it's night.)

Don S

You need an advance timing light, then use the groove.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

You also may also have one of those carbs that will just not work. We call them junk and install the proper carb.

That's why I've been kicking around putting another $500 into the boat for the 4bbl. (What a great excuse to have to upgrade.) Gonna take a month to get everything down here though without spending $300 on shipping. That's why I'm attempting to get the Mercarb close.

I believe I have all the parts lined up for the manifold, carb, gaskets, throttle bracket, misc. fasteners, etc. Only thing I'm still having trouble with is the fuel line from the pump to the carb since the E1409 has the fuel entry on the rear/side of the carb. Thinking about just using Russell braided stainless lines. Are they USCG approved. (Not that I care about the USCG, but I do care about things that go boom.)

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need an advance timing light, then use the groove.

LOL You know how long it took me to find a cheapo static timing light down here? Drove to every place on the island and wound up paying the equivalent of $125 for the last one available.

Don S

We can tell you HOW to fix something, we can help with WHY and with WHAT, but if you don't have the parts or tools to do the job, there isn't anything we can do about that.