62 JW 17 water pump

dukboat

Seaman
Hello, I recently bought a old Johnson 3 hp JW 17 1962 model at a yard sale. I put in in a barrel with water and it fired right up, runs good! There is not a tell tale on this engine, how can I tell if it is pumping water? Is there a port on the power head where you could put a pressure gauge? I want to make sure it is pumping water before I take it out. Thanks Dukboat

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 62 JW 17 water pump

It would be a great idea to replace the water pump impeller and be done with it. This way you know what you have in the motor. The ports I believe will be under the lower cowling at the top of the lower unit, there may be 2 holes that the water should flow out of.

dukboat

Seaman

Thanks, the guy I bought it from said he had the pump replaced 2 years ago and never used it, I'll check for the ports.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

The impeller should be replaced at least every 2 years. I'm sure these guys will agree here on iboats. After a couple of years those impellers get hard and brittle and can break apart even if not used. All they are if rubber and rubber will rot and deteriorate

dukboat

Seaman

I can get a new WP no problem, but I need to get a repair manual, do you know where I could get one? thanks, dukboat

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

2 years sitting is too old, change that impeller, Im sure it is old and brittle as stated already. Cheap part, but the catastrophic consequences of its failure are very expensive. For a manaul, check ebay, this guy normally has what you need.

"http://search.stores.ebay.com/SEARAY...ageNameZRC0024"

IF not ebay, you can find it at outboardbooks.com. It will be a factory reprint. Just be carful of Clymers or Seloc, those are not the versions that you want, get a OEM manual. Good luck.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Doing my home work on this quest lol, give me a moment to research. Somebody may chime in with the answer in the mean time for the manual. I couldn't remember if I had that website on my favorites or not thanks Hightrim.

dukboat

Seaman

Thanks guys, I checked ebay his user name is searayman13 and he has a ton of manuals but not what I need, I emailed him and asked if he had one. thanks again dukboat

wbeaton

Commander

the guy I bought it from said he had the pump replaced 2 years ago and never used it

That means it was 5 years ago.

Its super easy to replace the impeller on that motor since there isn't any shift linkage to worry about. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the lower unit to the exhaust tower and pull down. The impeller is under the pump housing at the base of the driveshaft.

Attachments

• JW Gearcase.jpg
    JW Gearcase.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I also found your manual here, about 35 bucks.

"http://www.laingsoutboards.com/literature.htm"

dukboat

Seaman

I want to thank everyone for all there help. Picked up a WP at my local dealer and it went in without any problems. Ready to go to my duck blind. Thanks dukboat

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Did you find the ports and were they pumping water out?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Those big blade impellers are good for years. I have 3 JW's. Theres a dime size screw slot plug R/S looking at the motor, side of the block, behind Tiller and maybe down a little. Running in a bucket (do it in the water, and you WILL lose it), unscrew it...good pump, yer gonna get wet
Also there are small ports facing forward on the shaft, just below the swivel. Most goes out the leg

BillP

Captain

Those big blade impellers are good for years. I have 3 JW's....

I agree 100% and have a total of 37 yrs owning 3 different JWs...one of them I used daily for 2 yrs while cruising the Bahamas. Marine shops preach to change every yr but I'm inclinded to believe it's more about selling product than necessity of preventing pump failure. OMC (OEM) impellers last an easy 5+ yrs or 2000 hrs. I've changed 10yr old omc oems that worked and looked perfect. The first sign of wp failure on a JW is when water completely stops coming out of the 4 holes at the lowest idle but functions robustly at anything over that speed. The only thing that shortens them is running in really dirty water or running them dry. However...I'm personally not getting Sierra impellers to last long on my merc/mariner and have to change them 2x-3x more often.

Here's pics that shows the jw oem impeller compared to others.

Left to right: 70hp 3cyl OMC, 50hp 4 stroke (Merc/Mariner/Yamaha), 3hp JW.

Attachments

• impeller 006.jpg
    impeller 006.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • impeller 008.jpg
    impeller 008.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I too have heard enough negative feedback not to buy the Sierra impellers. Even if only 1 in 100 times, I would still rather fork out the extra couple bucks for the peace of mind. But of course, that is in my own opinion.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

FYI - the exhaust relief/water outlet ports are underneath the clamp bracket saddle, on the front of the motor leg. You'll see a small matchbook shaped box with some holes on either side. Water should spritz out of there when running.
- Scott

dukboat

Seaman

T believe in using OEM parts as long as I can get them, you may pay a few $ more but in the long run you will save having to do the job over. My grandfather had one of these little motors when I was a kid, he wasn't one to take care of things. The motor looked like it went through the war but allways started with 2 or 3 pulls, was used in salt water and he never flushed it, just put new points and plugs in every spring and off he went. He had a old 18' flat bottom wood row boat and that little motor would push it all over. That boat was very heavy, but was great to fish out off you could put 5 people in it and have lots of room to fish. PS to chinewalker, I found those little holes on the side and the are peeing warm water like crazy! Thanks dukboat