Am I Going to Kill Someone?

sam7684

Cadet
Is this REALLY enough to keep my boat on the trailer? When I'm on the highway (driving 55mph), my 15' boat bounces on the trailer.

It scares the bejewels out of me. (I made myself laugh with that..)

I don't want the boat flying across six lanes of crowded California freeway on my way to the bay.

FRONT:
100_2061.jpg

BACK:
100_2062.jpg

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Am I Going to Kill Someone?

You should get a safety chain on the front that anchors to the trailer and snaps to the front bow eye. I don't exactly know what you have going on there with the cable but a safety chain would be much better. Also your winch cable should be pulling the bow tightly up against the bow stop, there should be no slack in that winch cable.

For the back you should get rid of those tie downs and get a good set of ratcheting tie downs. The ones you have work loose easily under that kind of load.

Doing both of these should stop your bouncing problems provided there is nothing wrong with the frame, bunks or axle of the trailer.

Good Luck!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I used to have the same type trailer.A chain from the bow eye that goes straight down to the frame and some heavy ratchet straps for the back.Looks like it could use a new winch too.Look at Walmart in the boat section,they have some nice tie down straps made by rod saver i think.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The biggest issue is that the bow eye is above the bow stop -- but in this case there is no way to make it any different. Newer trailers are designed with a single "V" shaped bow stop. The winch strap or cable passes under the bow stop. The reason for that is to prevent the boat from riding up over the bow stop and being loaded into the back of the tow vehicle. The chances of that happening are less if you tie down the bow eye to the frame using a turn-buckle and chain arrangement. As set up now, in a crash, your boat will end up on the back of the tow vehicle as the stern tie downs are not strong enough and the cables have way too much slack.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't disagree with the above advice but. . . .

Put a turnbuckle on the winch stand that hooks into the bow eye and hand tightens to hold the bow firmly to the trailer. . .no slack. Chains tend to allow slack.

tashasdaddy

i agree with JB, since the bow eye is above the bow stop.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I am with JB as well on this one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The ANKRA brand/style straps you have on the back, are not made for boats.
Get a real transom tie down strap.

The winch setup on that trailer is all wrong.
The winch cable should go down below the bow eye to prevent the boat from sliding forward into our vehicle if you have an accident.
Also the winch cable should be TIGHT.
The other cable or chain is just a backup, incase the winch cable breaks.

I would:
replace the winch, winch stand, and cable.
And get proper transom tie down straps.

That winch is 35 years old and is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Everything above and lose the rope. Should be chained to trailer.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Mine uses a seat belt type strap, made from a seat belt that goes from the bow eye to an eye on the tounge of the trailer right behind the winch tower.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after all that....and yes i agree
if the thing is still bouncing on the trlr
some guys are using a ratchet strap from one side of the trlr frame (amidships) over the boat and back to the frame.
thattl stop the bounce
the other thing is .....STAY OFF WASHBOARD GRAVEL ROADS!!!!

cheers
oops

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

my solution to the "bow eye above bow stop" problem........
bowtie.jpg

the slack in your cable subjects it to "shock force" which can cause it to snap even if the same amount of steady pulling force wouldn't.

if the boat shifts on the trailer, its not tied down tight enough.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

JTexas, just a suggestion - replace the eye bolt that you have the bottom end of your turnbuckle attached to. It is way too small and would break very easily under any high amount of tension. It also looks like it is a bit rusted, which will worsen this problem.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

My means of dealing with this is to make use of the bow line that is attached to my bow eye all the time. The bow eye is big enough for the winch strap hook and the line to be present at the same time. What I do is to run the line, which is a fairly large diameter, downward, under the trailer tongue, and then back through the eye again. From that point, it goes forward around the winch post and back again around the line that runs vertically. I make several passes on the horizontal portion and use them to "snug up" the vertical portion as I do.

By doing this, the boat is held firmly into the bow stop. It can not move a significant amount in any direction because upward and backward movement are arrested by the rope, and forward and lateral movement are held in check by the V-shaped bow stop.

The only disadvantage to this is that there is some wear to the line because is chaffes on both the trailer frame and its self, with the very small amount of movement that occurs while moving over the road. Boat line is pretty inexpensive though, so I just pay attention to its condition and replace as needed.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

jt-

jm, imo, makes a good point. that u have the lower eyelet at a 90-degree angle to the load in the line suggests it has little holding power once the load shifts fast and hard. if it were mine, and i wanted to do as you have, [a good idea, imo] i would weld a lower upside down U-bracket to flat area and put eyelet then in tension, vs the side load as u have it structured now. or in any event, have that safety line in tension somehow. not side loaded.

on sam's winch. it does look nasty, but it is just a mechanical device. so if its integrity is sound, not worn out cogs, frayed cable, springs or latches, i would consider servicing it. oils, grease and antiseize as applicable. derust it with auto derust solution avail at any auto parts such as autozone. then once black u can paint black, silver or gray. also naval jelly will remove the rust fine and leave it gray. follow instructions.

i would keep the contact point of bow hook to cable lubed with a spot of antiseize. drop or two oil. i said drop or two. :) id do that every time out. if leaf springs service them and lube.

if u opt for a new winch wal-mart was mentioned as a source. i happened by there last weekend as i needed a new 1 7/8 ball. the new winch was $29.95. i took the time to read all the small print tips, too for ball. so be sure upper cup on trailer hitch is lubed as well. in fact, it is my opinion, that for maximum service... all rolling, sliding or rubbing metal items should get routine lube.

my trailer comes with wheel buddy bearings. they sound good in theory. so i looked them up. if interested:

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/index.shtml

my trailer-i plan to go over all rolling, sliding parts in early next yr... with a lube program :) i keep a small machinists oiling can and a small tube of anti seize handy on my shelf... with both tooth pics and Qtips for a variety of application needs. a used toothpick chewed on after its used... is the best for antiseize and the crushed wooded fibers makes a great "brush". i usually toss it out after each use. this allows me to not to have to use my finger for application. [ICK!!... grease!! :eek:]

i am adding a transom saver as well.

regards,
lakester :cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

JTexas, just a suggestion - replace the eye bolt that you have the bottom end of your turnbuckle attached to. It is way too small and would break very easily under any high amount of tension. It also looks like it is a bit rusted, which will worsen this problem.

ya talked me into it........

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Lakester makes a very good point about the 90 angle of the lower eyebolt to the load also. One way to get around this if you want to stay with the location is to simply put an eyebolt of a heavier guage and shorther shank in its place. In fact, if you could use one with the eye portion flush with the upright, that would be best. Just be sure not to use a rolled eyebolt that is open where the end of the formed rod loops back to the base - the stress of a sudden load will pop it open very easily.