My outboard died. What should I replace it with?

sam7684

Cadet
I bought a 1972 Glastron 15' tri-hull boat.

It came with a 70 HP Johnson outboard, but it's trashed now.

I'm shopping on Craigslist for another outboard but here's my question:

Do I need a 70HP motor to replace it? Can I just get a 9HP or something like that? Does it really need to be so powerful?

Thanks, everyone! I'm really excited to have found such a huge boating forum. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: My outboard died. What should I replace it with?

should be a plate on the transom or near the control for the maximum hp.

besure the boat is solid and safe, those old glasstrons are known for rotted transoms, decks and stringers.

JRJ

Commander

Welcome to iboats. You will get lots of good advice from folks who have been there and done that.
My answer to your basic question is "it really doesn't take much horsepower to move a 15' boat". Enjoy.

sam7684

Cadet

it really doesn't take much horsepower to move a 15' boat

That is so exciting to hear! I can't find a 70 HP engine on craigslist at all!

Also, I don't really want to go FAST. I live in San Francisco and the bay is just so beautiful.

I just didn't want to be a fool and buy an outboard that is wayyyyyy to small to even move the boat.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What is wrong with the original motor if I may ask? Are you sure that it is not worth saving?

45Auto

Commander

With a 9 hp motor on a 15' tri-hull, you won't have to worry about going too fast!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You need to be sure you can safely navigate any tides or winds you might run into.
I think I would want at least a dependable 25hp.Be sure you get a motor with the right shaft length.

sam7684

Cadet

What is wrong with the original motor if I may ask? Are you sure that it is not worth saving?

I am new to boating, trying to learn as much as possible. It started right before I bought it. I took it home, had it running in my driveway.

I took it to the water, launched it and it would no longer start.

When I pulled it back out of the water, it was leaking oily gas. I took it to an outboard motor shop and they told me that the oil was leaking out of the cylinders and basically, it was trashed. They said it wasn't worth fixing anymore.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are feeding you crap. do a compression check on all cylinders, check spark, you had it running, they will run on muffs, but when submerged there is now backpressure on the exhaust, so the idle has to be set correctly, for it to run in the water. what make and year, model number of motor. if you go to a newer or other motor, nothing smaller than a 50hp. leaking gas/oil is the fuel, that may have ran over in the carbs, or not burnt in the cylinders and coming out the exhaust, it has to go somewhere.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What year and size was it? Do you still have it?(I hope so) Are these ppl that you trust? Sounds fishy to me.

Sorry tash typing at same time

Last edited:

Nandy

Commander

Ahem, do I smell garbage? I heard that many, many times and I have a couple working motors that says different. It is up to you. Let me ask this, when you ran it in your driveway, were u using the muff or a water tank? I know you question is not about fixing your old motor. The thing is that might be a better option than buying a used motor that can die just as quick as the other and now you have 2 dead motors. If you ever decide to fix yours at least, if you are mechanically inclined and fix it right, you will have a motor that should last you a long time. Believe me, it is not as hard as it might seem and usually not as bad as what the shops tells you.
I would not use a 9hp in such hull unless we are talking about a small lake. I have a "similar" hull. 25hp will be the absolute minimum for large lakes. If you are going to be in a bay you want to be able to move quick if you see bad weather coming. I have been in lakes with some nasty weather and wished my 50hp were a 90.
BTW, probably 90 will be the max hp allowed for you boat.
Another pointer, you might have to buy a boat with a motor. After buying in craigslist for some time now I realized the best motor deals are the ones with a hull attached to it. I got a 70 hp Evinrude with a 17 footer Cobia hull and a real nice galvanized trailer for $350. I was going to trash the hull but fell in love with it. Now it is turning into my 5th restoration. This is the time to look at craigslist…a
Good luck!

sam7684

Cadet

Ahem, do I smell garbage? Believe me, it is not as hard as it might seem and usually not as bad as what the shops tells you.

Does anyone live in the San Francisco Bay Area that could possibly recommend a place to take it to? I have no idea if they can be trusted or not... :(

I can do any kind of work on my car, but when it comes to a boat, I'm a total newbie.

What's a good way of finding a reliable shop? Ask an insurance company like AAA? Ask a harbor master?

sam7684

Cadet

What year and size was it? Do you still have it?(I hope so) Are these ppl that you trust?

1972 Johnson 70HP.
Yes, I still have it.
No, I don't know these people at the outboard shop.

Nandy

Commander

If you can fix a car you can fix this motor. There might be some tools that are especific to marine outboards but most of the tools and techniques you will use are the same. That is a very simple motor. The only way to find a reputable mechanic is by word of mouth, or getting plain lucky. Sorry I cant help you out. Maybe if you go to the johnson section of the forum and start a thread looking for mechanic you might get lucky.
If you decide to fix it yourself let us help you out. I would start with the following:

Did you run the motor without any water running thru it by via of the muffs or a water tank? A lot of newbies make that error. If you did that, you probably need to not do anything further and let us know.

For how long did you have the motor?

If you are not the only owner do you have any information as far as any work done on it?

When was the last time the water pump was rebuild?

If you can provide more info other that it dont start. Like do you hear or heard any detonations, any weird noise, etc...

Test the following:

Sparks in all plugs. Get you an automotive tester or use a screwdriver. Tester is way better and safer. Keep the plugs in place while testing!!!

Check for compresion. Get a compresion gauge, the automotive ones are compatible and follow the instructions. Make sure you ground your ignition when you do that.

Let us know what you find if you go this route.

jcbarry

Cadet

Is your 70 a 3 cylinder? I had that motor on an old 15ft tri-hull that had the same exact problem. It ended up my problem was with the carbs, but follow everyones sugestions and troubleshoot it properly. Good luck.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi sam welcome!
is that a glastron t-156 you are talking about??? open bow?
it says on the side! and on the hull plate.

if so, I WOULD NEVER PUT A 9 HP AND GO ON THE OCEAN!!!.-
(900-1200 lbs guys)
if the tide is running or larger waves (2 1/2) footers in your case. you wont be going any where and will find your self in trouble in a hurry!
the seventy johnston was a common choice for the t-156.
hp rating was up to 85 i think.

and ... uh.... when you were in your driveway running the motor.... did you put a u shaped thing on the bottom of the drive? it has two rubber cups on it and one side hooks to a garden hose with the water turned on?...this is very important for the guys here to help you with the problem....

if yes you did (have the garden hose on it) then listen to tashasdaddy and the other guys. they wont stand around and have a nube gettin incorrect information.

welcome to i boats

cheers,
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and by the way...
is that you in your avatar?
(the pic u posted) (im assuming it is)
if so, boating reqiures a look foward at things too (like the weather)
SAR picks up lots of boaters that didnt do a pre flight!
a good course by power squadren or other CG approved body will do you very well. and its also a good idea to boat on a lake first, for a while so you can get used to simple things like water navigation and even backing up a boat!

dont laugh! look at stupid human tricks on this forum and see for your self!
and yes you will do your fair share too!

enjoy boating, have fun be safe!

p.s. did you buy the boat from a guy called C B??:D kidding lol

rocky100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try at least a 50 horse-nothing smaller!

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

The Outboard Motor Shop in Oakland and Best Marine in Milpitas work on Johnson motors. I have purchased parts from both shops but don't have any experience with their service work.