Help Pulling Prop Shaft

brettagostini

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm trying to pull the prop shaft on an '81 140 Evinrude. The manual shows the use of a disc-shaped flywheel puller that has two bolts passing through it which are fastened into the prop shaft guide piece. (Whatever its called.)

But all the autopart stores I've been to only have flywheel pullers that look like grappling hooks.... you know, the three arms that hook around the edges of the flywheel. This will not work on the propshaft.

Is there another way to pull the shaft, or do you know where I can track down this puller? (Perhaps sears.... this just occurred to me.)

Thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Pulling Prop Shaft

The auto parts deal will work. Are there 2 threaded holes in your bearing carrier?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just so you are aware, the three-jaw puller is a "gear puller" not a "flywheel puller". Use that on a flywheel and you will break it (the flywheel). You need a puller with two slots or holes in it through which hardened bolts can be passed and threaded into the carrier assembly. A number of "gear pullers" have those slots so you simply remove the jaws and use the base along with two bolts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The puller you need is called a "harmonic balancer puller". Auto part stores have them. You'll have to find suitable bolts to go with it. It is good for outboard flywheels also.

brettagostini

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. When I asked for a "flywheel puller" at the parts store (They loan them out for free) they gave me the "gear puller." I figured they knew more than me.

They do have a "harmonic balance puller" on their list. I'll go back today and swap it out.

Thanks again guys. Man.... its difficult when you don't have enough of a knowledge base to even know the right questions to ask!

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I pulled mine, it was seized and I had to apply heat to the LU to get the dang thing out. Good thing I have a friend who is a service manager. He helped me do it.