Is this fiberglass rip fixable? (pics)

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer
My aunt: "That trailer in the shed, you can have it"
Me: "Jetski too?"
Her: "It has a hole in it! Take it if you want it, I guess"
Me: "Oh, I can fix that!"

So, I have a free jetski and trailer. Supposedly it ran good before, if that influences whether it's worth fixing or not. There is a 12" by 1/2" rip in the fiberglass bottom on the front starboard side - looks like the bottom flexed and eventually wore through. For some reason that area is missing a few layers of fiberglass, that's why it was weak in the first place.

Repairs from the inside will mean that either I seperate the hull (top and bottom) or remove the engine/jet and gas tank.

1. Is it repairable? (I would say yes)

2. Do I _have_ to repair it from the inside? Any easier way?

3. Any suggestions? I'm thinking epoxy/cloth layers, then white gelcoat with the wax paper trick to make it smooth. Then grinding and sanding.

Jetski1002.jpg

Jetski1004.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this fiberglass rip fixable? (pics)

Fixing it isn't a problem and you should use epoxy, normal polyester resins won't bond that well to it. Doing it from the inside is better, but it can be done from the outside too. Gel coat won't stick all that well to epoxy, so it may chip of fairly easy.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

To do it the right way would be from the inside then just cosmetic work on the outside.I would check the engine out first.If it has been sitting the carb rebuilds are a must..

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I would check the engine out first.If it has been sitting the carb rebuilds are a must..

Exactly my thoughts. I planned on making sure it runs OK before I decide to tear into it. It's been sitting a year, so not _too_ long.

PWC's are a lot easier to run in the driveway than my outboard; just plug up a hose to a quick connector - no earmuffs, no bucket. Gotta wait till the weekend though for some daylight, so I can see what I'm doing.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Fixing it isn't a problem and you should use epoxy, normal polyester resins won't bond that well to it. Doing it from the inside is better, but it can be done from the outside too. Gel coat won't stick all that well to epoxy, so it may chip of fairly easy.

Yeah, for below waterline repairs, I would think only to use epoxy. Isn't "gelcoat" just tinted resin? I was thinking I could tint the epoxy (can I?). I know epoxy sticks to poly resin, but the inverse isn't true.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes, gel coat is just tinted resin, sort of, but it refers to polyesters for the most part. You can tint the epoxy, but it won't match the rest of the hull and it won't weather all that well, so you'll most likely paint it if you want it to look good. below the waterline repairs can be done with polyesters with no problems, the issue with a PWC can be the type of polyester and fillers used to make it, most of the time normal polyester resins don't bond well to them.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Worth a read.

"http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/17.htm"