66 Johnson 20 hp

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whats the pupose of that oil line that runs from just behind the carb and runs to the bottom of the crankcase under the fuel pump? I just noticed while cleaning my motor that mine was off on the bottom side and has probably been off for quite a while. The motor runs like a top so I don't think I hurt anything, I hope.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 66 Johnson 20 hp

it takes any residual fuel/oil that comes out of the carb and feeds it to the bottom bearing so that it does not end up polluting the waterways.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

The clamp was still on the hose but it was up about two inches. I moved it back down so it shold stay clamped on now. I'll keep an eye on it. I guess that explains my oil drip.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It is part of the recirculation system, it forces puddled lube,at the bottom of the crankcase sump, up to the upper main crankshaft bearing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it is indeed a '66, R.Johnson is correct. It feeds oil up to the upper main bearing to lubricate it.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talked to my outboard guru today and he said I probably didn't hurt anything. He said if I didn't see any oil coming from under the magneto plate that the top bearing seal was still good.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I agree. It's a pretty tough motor.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Is it routed up to the top bearing because it needs lubrication or is it being routed up there to be burned so it won't drain in the lake? I thought it was kind of a EGR with 2 stroke oil that has pooled in the bottom of the crankcase? Can't it cause the upper cylinder to load up on idling?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It actually performs both functions, however lubrication is the chief one. Don't forget, that motor has drain valves to scavenge off the stuff that puddles up.....and dumps it into the lake. Therefor, loading up is not a real problem. They "fixed" that with newer models by running the drainage through the cylinder. Then they loaded up/ran poorly. Keep the '66 and use bio-degradeable synthetic oil if you care about the environment..