Prayer Request

aspeck

Staff member
I just got home from the hospital and have to get ready for Sunday Morning Service, but wanted to ask all of you a big favor. Last night at 9:30 my fire company was called to a house fire. Not a big fire, as they go, but some heat and smoke. One of our guys (40 and the most fit guy of the bunch) was in the attic doing overhaul when he complained of not being able to breath. He left the building and we sent him to the ambulance. Ambulance put him on the monitor and quickly left for the hospital which was less than a minute away. On the way he coded. They were able to bring him back and after arriving at the hospital he coded again.

He was life flighted to the local trauma center where he went into cardiac arrest 4 more times. He has since made it through surgery were they removed a blockage, but it is touch and go and they are not giving him much hope - basically saying it will take a miracle. Well, it is a miracle that he is still alive and has been able to survive the last 8 1/2 hours. Please pray for a miracle - Doug and his family need all our prayers. Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Prayer Request

You got it.

The good part is surviving the first hours is the most critical and it should get better.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I said a prayer for Doug's healing if it be His will, and Doug's family for comfort.

Hope this doesn't violate the religion ban.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Sorry to hear 'bout your friend and colleague's unfortunate situation. I extend my best wishes to him and his family.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Prayers going his way Art. Keep us posted on his condition.

MikDee

Banned

So sorry to hear, We'll keep him in our prayers.

aspeck

Staff member

Just heard from the family and there is a marked improvement in Doug's condition. The Docs are still very pessimistic, but there is hope. This morning when I posted his heart was functioning at near 0%, now it is functioning at almost 40%! They have several cat scans, MRI's etc scheduled to evaluate his heart and brain since his BP was so low for so long ... Thanks for the prayers so far, keep them coming, we can use some more good news.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You got it Art! Some improvement is great! The power of prayer can be amazing.
Will be waiting for another update.

woodrat

Ensign

sending him and his family prayers for a speedy recovery.

Firefighters have a markedly high rate of cardiac arrest, while on the job or shortly thereafter. When my local FD did a practice burn recently, the fire chief had two of us EMTs there to monitor vitals on all the people working the fire. Everytime a firefighter came back out to change tanks or get a drink, they were ordered to the ambulance for vitals monitoring. The young guys HATED it, and did whatever they could to avoid us. The women and older men were much more cooperative. There was one older fellow that I had to deny permission to work the fire because his baseline BP was too high. He was fine about it and not surprised, and worked the pumps instead.

aspeck

Staff member

Thanks for your prayers! Doug has definitely gotten his miracle! The doctors are amazed! Today they took him off the respirator and he was sitting up, going to the bathroom, and putting in his contact lenses! The doctors say all his neurological functions are good and except for not remembering Saturday nights fire, he is fine and should be transfered from ICU in a couple of days.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Prayers were and are still with him. Glad to hear of his improvement.