startup smoking

stevie007

Cadet
I have a 1999 Evinrude Ocean Pro 130hp that smokes (10 foot cloud) at startup then stops after 1 minute. Could it be the oil inlet valve on the VRO. I have decarboned unit, use top OMC recommended oil. Motor runs fine all day after startup

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: startup smoking

Has it always done that? I had, what looked to be a new 60 hp Yammie (on a G3 alum boat), do exactly the same thing next to me not long ago on the launching ramp.

I notice that most engine do some smoking till the cylinders get the fuel/air mix stabilized.....but I'm no expert and there could be a mechanical failure reason for it.

My 90 Merc does it too, but not all that noticeable. Every engine I ever had in the past did too.

Best I can do.

Mark

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1999 Evinrude Ocean Pro 130hp that smokes (10 foot cloud) at startup then stops after 1 minute. Could it be the oil inlet valve on the VRO. I have decarboned unit, use top OMC recommended oil. Motor runs fine all day after startup

Before you start up, or after your engine has been sitting for a long period you can remove the "FUEL INLET" hose (Not where the hose feeds to the carbs) Check to see if oil is bleeding from the OMS-VRO oil chamber. Oil in the "FUEL INLET- SUPPLY" hose will indicate wear within the shaft allowing oil to bleed past into this area.
Bad news is this area is not rebuildable and the unit will need to be replaced to resolve the smoke.... Or, just say your doing your part to make Al Gore look good.

Some smoke on startup is normal... like Texasmark says!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My 140hp Johnson (1985) sends a cloud of smoke out after initial start up of the day when the bulb has just been primed and the choke has been hit a couple of times. Always loved the smell of 2 stroke !!! and it also lets me know the VRO is still putting oil in there !!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Before or often after a de-carbon treatment the four recirculation check valves are often clogged and need service. If they have not been checked in a while, you may want or need to replace them.

The oil that is burning off when you start the cold engine is the left-over oil from your last run. Some is expected because you want the oil to protect the rings and bearings, etc.

Too much sometimes indicates that the recirculation check valves are clogged, preventing the proper draining.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

And also you can try full synthetic tcw3 as it smokes less.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

Of all the answers, the last was the most correct! It's not too much oil, but too little fuel, if that makes sense. There's probably not a reasonable cure for this, including the VRO replacement. I have a 140 looper that does the same thing, and I'm just grateful we don't have to deal with mosquitoes after a cold start.