1970 evinrude 33hp stuck in reverse

jjjewett

Seaman Apprentice
Hi.

im new to boating and have purchased a boat with a 33hp outboard evinrude twin ski electric. model 33052

It is stuck in reverse. I ordered the service manual and that is on its way.

I took the cable off and was trying to shift manually. On the manual shifter it seems like there is only 2 positions.
I attached 3 photos. 2 of them show the shifter in the 2 positions i can see. it feels like it is working, but I have no idea what is going on or on the way down to the lower unit

Is there a neutral gear??

john

Attachments

• PB240004-800.jpg
    PB240004-800.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PB240005-800.jpg
    PB240005-800.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1
  • PB240006-800.jpg
    PB240006-800.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1970 evinrude 33hp stuck in reverse

On the starbord side of the engine,you will find a plate held by 2 screws,emove the plate,there may be another plate inside as well,if so remove it also,there will be a shift shaft link,its about an inch and a half long,made of brass with 2 screws,it may have broken,or one of the connecting screws fell out,this link is how you would disconnect the linkages so the water pump can be serviced(after taking all the lower unit bolts out)the use of a good needle nose pliers is very helpful.Im going to assume by moving the shifter nothing happens,nor does it feel like its shifting,you should feel a click each time it goes into neutral which is in middle,reverse which is pushing to rear ,forward forward,the plate is located on the midsection of the engine,same side as shifter handle

F_R

Supreme Mariner

When trying to shift a motor that is not running, it may be necessary to give the prop a twirl to allow the gears to "fit". That could account for your "two positions".

Also, there is an interlock on the side of the powerhead that limits RPMs in neutral or reverse. You may have the throttle advanced beyond the allowable shifting range.

jjjewett

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you so much for the responses. This forum is cool.

Also, there is an interlock on the side of the powerhead that limits RPMs in neutral or reverse. You may have the throttle advanced beyond the allowable shifting range.

You know we were playing with the idle knob on the control box. it basically just sets the throttle to a minimum.

I loosened this up a bit and will try again tomorrow!

So, there is no neutral? just forward and reverse? and you cant shift if it the idle too high?

jjjewett

Seaman Apprentice

Im going to assume by moving the shifter nothing happens,nor does it feel like its shifting,you should feel a click each time it goes into neutral which is in middle,reverse which is pushing to rear ,forward forward,the plate is located on the midsection of the engine,same side as shifter handle

So there is three positions. It feels like there is only two and it does not feel like it is trying to shift or anything. It sounds like nothing is happening.

this link is how you would disconnect the linkages so the water pump can be serviced(after taking all the lower unit bolts out)the use of a good needle nose pliers is very helpful.

The waterpump was replaced right before i bought it... I will talk to the guy who sold it to me.

On the starbord side of the engine,you will find a plate held by 2 screws,emove the plate,there may be another plate inside as well,if so remove it also,there will be a shift shaft link,its about an inch and a half long,made of brass with 2 screws,it may have broken,or one of the connecting screws fell out,

Is this plate on the lower unit?? I ordered the service manual so Im sure it will say in there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The plate mentioned is an oval plate about half way down on the midsection, held on with two screws. The shift rod connection is behind it.

A note on the connector: When reinstalling the screw after disassembly, you should take a flashlight and look in there to make sure the notch in the shift rod is precisely aligned with the screw hole before inserting the screw. If not aligned and the screw rubs the side of the notch it will wipe the threads off the screw every time. Then it will fall out 5 miles from shore. You're lucky it fell out at home.....if that's what is wrong.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

And yes, there is a neutral. There should be 3 positions. Reverse, neutral and forward. Remove the **** cable when doing any work with the shifter as it will bind it up.

Whoever just did the water pump might have buggered it up. Has it worked since then?

And as FR said, make sure the throttle is very low (to disengage the interlock) and spin the flywheel by hand a tad and then try to shift it.

jjjewett

Seaman Apprentice

And yes, there is a neutral. There should be 3 positions. Reverse, neutral and forward. Remove the **** cable when doing any work with the shifter as it will bind it up.

I did take off the shift cable and will finish the job without the shift cable in place.

Whoever just did the water pump might have buggered it up. Has it worked since then?

It worked in the guys garage. It worked when we first put the boat in the water (went from neutral to reverse) then it stopped shifting.

And as FR said, make sure the throttle is very low (to disengage the interlock) and spin the flywheel by hand a tad and then try to shift it.

I turned the prop by hand. this spun the flywheel in both directions (depending on which way I spun the prop). Should I only spin the prop one way, then shift into a gear? (i.e. put the shifter in forward, then spin the prop forward)

-many thanks,
john

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Makes no difference which way you spin it. However, some people frown on turning the flywheel backwards. Actually you only need to spin one or the other, not both. Prop is easier to turn though. Spin the prop while attempting to shift. It should click into gear.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

reverse rotation may cause impeller problems

jjjewett

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the responses.

ok. so the problem was the rods weren't connected. i took off the plate in the middle section of the motor and it was obvious.

attached is a horrible picture.

so my plan is to just shift it into neutral and start it. then shift away!

sound ok?

Attachments

• PB250016-800.jpg
    PB250016-800.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1