why starters?

joe1956

Seaman Apprentice
Guys still new to boats and here.I don't understand why starters and alternators have to be marine grade? Do they spark less so they don't cause an explosion.Thank you all for your time Joe

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: why starters?

This thread WILL NOT be a continuation of that thread.

joe1956

Seaman Apprentice

Wow I open a box of worms with that.Thanks for the input.Put its 2007 you would think they have a sensor that would let you know if you had gas build up.Or time delay key switch to vent before starting.How about plug wires I have seen them spark points to.I think for my safety 1 or 2 sensors would be better.I know they could be made.But then marine suppliers wouldn't make any money on starters.
Thanks you all for the great info.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Well John there is NO time delay for venting built in.....Teh tiem delay is this:

You turn on your blower when you arive at the ramp, You put your bildge plu in the transom, you put your fenders on the cleats ( if you dock when you load other wise you dotn need fenders ) you attach your dock lines ( again if you dotn dock skip ) you dissconnect your trailer lights, you un hook your rear trailer straps from boat. You vack your boat down the ramp and then you start the engine. There would have been a good 15 minutes or more of blower ON and venting your engine area. Theres your time delay.

The starter and altanator designed for marine use is exactly as you state in post 1. They are sheilded more from what I understand as to not allow a possible spark to ignite fumes or liquids. Thats what I understand any way, althought they do look exactly the same to me as well.

dmcb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You wouldn't want a time delay no more than on a car.
In case of an emergency, you might need to get going now.
A neighbors boat fire might be one example.
Or a barge bearing down on you.
A gas sensor makes sense to me.
Rv's have them for propane, why not boats for gas?
Doug

180shabah

Rear Admiral

They DO make electronic gas vapor detectors for boats, they just are not very common on smaller craft due to cost.

However, all boats come with a natural vapor detector, the nose, some are just connected to a defective processing unit that does not run the entire pre-launch sub-routine, or due to having a superior looking GUI, feels it is immune to harm.

Just run the blower, lift the lid and take a sniff, if all is good hit the key and go have fun. It won't cost a thing.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I NEVER fire my inboard up without a good look down there, and if ya smell gas from up THERE, ya got a REAL gas leak. Get a small diameter (3/8ths fine) 3 foot length of clear plastic tubing, drop it down, snort some..you will know whats real normal, or if ya got a problem. I always run my fingers around all the gas line connections.
Also the best bet nowadays on starters is the gear reduction..hands down..end of story

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is answered by doing a little reading.

The reference to federal law is HERE

there's not much room for argument.

Cheers,

Rick

Now will someone please lock this thread too?

Guys still new to boats and here.I don't understand why starters and alternators have to be marine grade? Do they spark less so they don't cause an explosion.Thank you all for your time Joe