Refinishing wood beanch seats on a 1972 Starcraft

Smoke1

Recruit
I have a 14 ft 1972 Starcraft semi v fishing boat. Its aluminum with wooden bench seats. The Seats are original and in good shape except for the finish is faded and worn off. Can anyone direct me to the proper finishing materials so I can restore these. If there are better products to use now than what was avaiable in 1972 thats fine, I'm just not familiar with products for fresh water marine applications. Thanks for any advise you can give.

Sorry for my poor spelling in the title.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Refinishing wood beanch seats on a 1972 Starcraft

Ayuh,.......

There's probably a BaZillion ways to refinish your seats,.........

I'd probably just give them a light Sanding,+ paint them with a Quality paint, like Rustolium..........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if they have a natural finish, Valspar marine varnish. Lowes.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I recently just finished restoring an older boat with plenty of teak on it, but I didnt go the teak oil route, didnt turn out quite dark enough for me since the wood was older and needed a complete restoration.This technique was taught to me by an old master shipwright. Your wood will turn out beautiful if you follow these steps, its time consuming but worth it!

1. Sand with desired grit (depending on condition of wood) then final sand with 220 grit paper. Wipe with cloth.

2. Wipe with cloth dampened with Acetone.

3. Apply varnish 50/50 mixture with varnish thinner.

4. Wait 3 days to dry -DO NOT SAND!

5. Apply straight varnish

6. Wait 3 days to dry-sand VERY LIGHTLY note: if gummy balls form-STOP-varnish is not dry. Wait another day.

7. Sand very lightly-wipe powder with cloth.

8. Apply another coat of varnish

9. Sand very lightly-wipe down with ACETONE

10. Apply final varnish 50/50 mixture

Put remaining varnish into one or more smaller jars with tight fitting lids

NEVER PUT YOUR BRUSH INTO THE CAN OF VARNISH-POUR VARNISH INTO WIDE MOUTH GLASS JAR WHEN APPLYING.

The varnish and thinner I prefer are Epifanes Clear Varnish and Epifanes Brush Thinner, but if you go to your local sailboat /yacht store, they will have a suitable replacement. Note: You will not be able to get the correct varnish / and or thinner at your local hardware store/canadian tire/home depot. Go to your local sailboat store. Hope this helps you all, Happy Boating!!

Smoke1

Recruit

Thanks so much for your help. They are natural finished and I want to keep them that way. Sounds like great advice. Thanks agian for all your time.