Mariner 115 Beeping Noise!!!

fish2287

Cadet
Need to know what the problem is please.... The local marina or boat shop has charged me $200 to install a new "Much Better" beeper that beeps just fine, and it driving me nuts. I asked them 20 times if they could diagnose the problem and fix it for sure so my engine does not blow up and they still can't seem to fix it.

This engine has run like a dream for 3 years now until about a month ago when I was just putting around the lake and it started beeping out of nowhere..

It does not smell like burning, does not seem to the touch and feel to be over heating, it seems to be running okay. There is plenty of oil in the tank, and it blows a little blue smoke when in reverse or when I give it a little gas I see blue smoke. The beepeer has been replaced. I went to start it after it was fixed about 2 weeks later and it started beeping within 1 minute or less of idle running.

Bye the way, I was able to stop the beeping while on the lake that day by playing with the poweer tilt up and down 5-7 times and it stop, but if I hit the tilt again it would start again or if the boat power was turned on off and back on, it would start beeping until I messed with the trim for a while and I could get it to stop.

What should I do??

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Chuck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mariner 115 Beeping Noise!!!

Gonna need some engine information. Like year! SN would be even better for some of us. 2 or 4 stroke, efi, carbed, anything.

fish2287

Cadet

1996 Mariner 115 HP 2 Stroke 4 cylinder Outboard.

Oil tank is mounted to the engine, about a 1-2 gallon oil tank.

And it spits water like a fire hose, very very good.

Don S

Is this a steady continous beep, or an intermittent beep-beep-beep-etc.?

Also, with the engine off, key on, what does the alarm stay on, or just an initial beep then off.

fish2287

Cadet

fast beep beep beep and yes the boat off then turn key quick beep then it stops.

While boat was running at the boat shop the other day, mechanic pulled the hot or + wires from the battery and the boat died.. Not sure if this would be the problem, it had run fine this whole year until Labor Day, that was the day it started beeping for the first time since I have owned the boat for about 3 full seasons.

Thanks!

Don S

The intermittant beeping is from the oil level alarm. Disconnect the two blue wires coming out at the bottom of the oil tank and see if the alarm goes away.
If it does, you need a new low oil sensor in the bottom of the tank.
If it doesn't stop, you need to do an oil pump output test per the service manual before taking it out again (pump is probably ok, because you didn't blow up yet,,,,,,, but??????)
If the oil pump checks ok, you may have a bad alarm module.

fish2287

Cadet

Okay sounds good.

What if the wires are disconnected from the tank to the wire harness and it still makes the beep beep beep. Would you think that's a bad beeper?

Thanks again.

Chuck
Wauconda, Illinois

Don S

If the beeper was bad, it wouldn't work at all .................. Think about it.

It has to have power and a ground to work. It works so it has both. Why does it have power and/or ground. That is your problem.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The sensor in the bottom the oil tank is a magnetically activated switch.

There is a magnetic 'washer' epoxyied to the bottom of a float inside the oil tank.

Sometimes the switch goes bad, sometimes the 'washer' adhesive fails, allowing the magnetic washer to fall on or near the switch, triggering it 'on'.

The fact that it seemed to stop after triming/tilting the motor a number of times leads me to think the adhesive failed and the magnet fell close enough to the switch to trigger it, tilting the motor may have dislodged to magnet far enough the switch opened.

Proving it involves removing the tank, then you may remove the switch to test it with an ohms meter, while the tank is off you can drain it and look to see if the magnetic washer is laying loose in the bottom.

If it is the magnet came loose you will end up replacing the tank, the float is placed and the tank is blow molded around it.